Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Great Caesar's Ghost !

That I believe was the patron saint of Perry White : I remember that one from B4 Smile

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
"Little Willie" was the first LANDSHIP ever developed. It was done in secrecy by the British. They developed a code name for Landships that is used today. What are Landships and why were they developed?

Can only guess - a Tank ? - and not one containing water.

As for why - If it was a Tank - to Kill the enemy.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Mr. Spart is correct (tank), then it was developed during the first world war to spearhead attacks against heavily fortified enemy lines, which was certainly a challenge in the first world war. The code name was chosen as part of a bogus story intended to fool enemy spies - that the "tanks" were vehicles designed to carry water to soldiers on the Russian front. The first tanks were not that great, and so it was deemed necessary to keep their role secret until actually used. (Hence the water carrier story.) The idea was to frighten the German troops with the surprise factor, and then launch an infantry attack before they could recover. The attempt failed, because instead of promptly launching the infantry attack, the generals delayed to see how the tanks got on. The Germans recovered, destroyed the tanks, and then easily repulsed the attack by the British infantry.

OK, someone tell that Mr. Blue guy to shut up. Way too much history for one post.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Assuming Mr. Spart is correct (tank), then it was developed during the first world war to spearhead attacks against heavily fortified enemy lines, which was certainly a challenge in the first world war. The code name was chosen as part of a bogus story intended to fool enemy spies - that the "tanks" were vehicles designed to carry water to soldiers on the Russian front. The first tanks were not that great, and so it was deemed necessary to keep their role secret until actually used. (Hence the water carrier story.) The idea was to frighten the German troops with the surprise factor, and then launch an infantry attack before they could recover. The attempt failed, because instead of promptly launching the infantry attack, the generals delayed to see how the tanks got on. The Germans recovered, destroyed the tanks, and then easily repulsed the attack by the British infantry.

OK, someone tell that Mr. Blue guy to shut up. Way too much history for one post.

I always enjoy reading History - so I will ask you to continue - not stop Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are both dead on right. Spart, you guessed a tank so you got the most important part but Mr. Blue was/is awesome! The tank was designed to cross the "deadly ground" that separated the lines of trenches in World War I. The war had reached a stalemate and they wanted a way to cross over the distance between the trench lines and attack the enemy without losing thousands of lives in the process. So, the British were the first to deploy a viable vehicle.

Rather than calling it a Landship, they used the word "tank" to disguise what it really was. They wanted people to think it was a water tank but it really was a combat vehicle they were deploying.

I had the opportunity to visit the battlefield of Verdun a number of years ago and it was terrifying! Every square inch or millimeter was hit multiple times during the battlefield and this covered many square miles/kilometers. I believe seven towns were totally destroyed from so many thousands of hits by huge artillery shells.

Very, very VERY good job Mr. Blue!!!!

Your turn Mr. Spart......
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now

100 years ago

Where am I ?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdun?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Land of Oz, in spite of the field of poppies. Sad
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flanders?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Double post.

Never mind the Double Post - it was a double Win.

Yes - Flanders.

"Flanders Fields is a common English name of the World War I battlefields[1] in an area straddling the Belgian provinces of West Flanders and East Flanders as well as the French department of Nord-Pas-de-Calais, part of which makes up the area known as French Flanders."

Your Turn Rusty Edge...
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting double post. Laughing
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge its time to leave the Salty Dog tavern and it's famous girls upstairs and ask something. Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of him with my Hostess Lucky...

Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I forgot I answered this question. Let me figure something out.

Okay. Dogs. The Queen of England has Welsh Corgis. There are two sub breeds. One traditionally has docked tails. The other does not.

What are the long-tailed Corgis called?"
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see why now. My turn to go to the tavern and everybody else can ask and answer trivia questions. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 370 of 894

Jump to: