Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Hint -
Our mystery fish has many names. "The mature XXXX has an average length of 1.8 m (5.9 ft) and a fin-to-fin length of 2.5 m (8.2 ft). The weight of mature specimens can range from 247 to 1,000 kg (545 to 2,205 lb), but even larger individuals are not unheard of. The maximum size is up to 3.3 m (10.8 ft) in length[10] 4.2 m (14 ft) across the fins[13] and up to 2,300 kg (5,100 lb) in mass

Is one of its names sunfish?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Rusty Edge wrote:
Hint -
Our mystery fish has many names. "The mature XXXX has an average length of 1.8 m (5.9 ft) and a fin-to-fin length of 2.5 m (8.2 ft). The weight of mature specimens can range from 247 to 1,000 kg (545 to 2,205 lb), but even larger individuals are not unheard of. The maximum size is up to 3.3 m (10.8 ft) in length[10] 4.2 m (14 ft) across the fins[13] and up to 2,300 kg (5,100 lb) in mass

Is one of its names sunfish?

Yes. Ocean Sunfish, Mola Mola, Moonfish ... Your turn Roland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish

Many of the sunfish's various names allude to its flattened shape. Its specific name, mola, is Latin for "millstone", which the fish resembles because of its gray color, rough texture, and rounded body. Its common English name, sunfish, refers to the animal's habit of sunbathing at the surface of the water. The Dutch-, Portuguese-, French-, Catalan-, Spanish-, Italian-, Russian-, Greek- and German-language names, respectively maanvis, peixe lua, poisson lune, peix lluna, pez luna, pesce luna, рыба-луна, φεγγαρόψαρο and Mondfisch, mean "moon fish", in reference to its rounded shape. In German, the fish is also known as Schwimmender Kopf, or "swimming head". In Polish, it is named samogłów, meaning "head alone", because it has no true tail. The Chinese translation of its academic name is fan-che yu 翻車魚, meaning "toppled wheel fish". The ocean sunfish has various superseded binomial synonyms, and was originally classified in the pufferfish genus, as Tetraodon mola.[6][7] It is now placed in its own genus, Mola, with two species: Mola mola and Mola ramsayi. The ocean sunfish, Mola mola, is the type species of the genus.[8]
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like no Roland around. Can I ask a quick one while we wait for his return?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Tengrism? If no one gets it after 24 hours, Google away.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that word before. Got me on that one!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I've never seen that word before. Got me on that one!

Me either!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sometimes called Tengrianism.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is Greek to me!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, after riding all around Amsterdam today , then visiting the fabulous Riiksmuseum and then visiting Haarlem, I returned to my hotel and found out no one correctly answered your question, so I followed your guidelines and looked it up using a search engine.

Tengerism is the study of Shamanism, which studies the use of altered states to experience religious feelings and awareness.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Tengerism is the study of Shamanism, which studies the use of altered states to experience religious feelings and awareness.

Close enough. It's actually not the study, but the practice. Tengrism was (perhaps still is in some places) the pagan religion practiced by the Huns, Mongols, Turks, and other Asian nomads.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the late stages of WWII, Japan developed a massive new submarine called the I-401. It was much larger than any previous submarine and was developed for a top-secret mission of great importance. Fortunately for the Allies, the mission was scrubbed because the war ended just before the submarine could finish the mission.

Wat was this top secret, super-important mission of I-401???
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
During the late stages of WWII, Japan developed a massive new submarine called the I-401. It was much larger than any previous submarine and was developed for a top-secret mission of great importance. Fortunately for the Allies, the mission was scrubbed because the war ended just before the submarine could finish the mission.

Wat was this top secret, super-important mission of I-401???

I think I know this one, as I recently saw a television show about it. The I-401 carried several airplanes (two, if I remember correctly). Their intended mission was for the airplanes to bomb the Panama Canal.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice going! I never heard of this ship or imission until just recently I ran across it online. Which TV show did you see, I would like to see it.
Yes, this massive sub carried 3 torpedo float planes and was designed to blow up the Panama Canal. VERY GOOD, you turn fleetp !!!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Wow! Nice going! I never heard of this ship or imission until just recently I ran across it online. Which TV show did you see, I would like to see it.
Yes, this massive sub carried 3 torpedo float planes and was designed to blow up the Panama Canal. VERY GOOD, you turn fleetp !!!

Regarding the TV show, it was on "Secrets of the Dead" which is carried on the Public Broadcasting System in the USA.
Here's a you-tube link to the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx2Bu-jnOs

Okay, here's my question. Who drew the comic strip "Steve Canyon?"
Wait 24 hours before using the internet.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fleetp. I love Secrets of the Dead, but I missed that episode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 380 of 894

Jump to: