Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 894, 895, 896  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
The attempted thread derailing has been the strongest answer so far. Go ahead and consult the internet.

And I wasn't even trying to derail it really. I was just messing about. So if that's the strongest so far, we're not doing too good. Laughing
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frey's ship, built by Dvalin and presented to the gods by Loki himself. It is s magic ship.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
No need (to consult the internet). I am guessing that the item in question is a ship. Though I will have to consult the Internet to find out just how special of a ship.

Correct! The magic ship's special property was that it could be folded up for easy storage and transport. Being able to fit your longship into your pocket would make for easy portages.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
No need (to consult the internet). I am guessing that the item in question is a ship. Though I will have to consult the Internet to find out just how special of a ship.

Correct! The magic ship's special property was that it could be folded up for easy storage and transport. Being able to fit your longship into your pocket would make for easy portages.

Very handy indeed.

Next question: Where was Caesar when he was famously attacked and killed? No internet for 36 hours.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what is now called the Roman Forum. I have been there and see where he was cremated and where Marc Anthony gave his Eulogy. I think they stabbed Julius Cesar near the Senate in the Forum.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Captain Teague is still upstairs in my Tavern. I'll ask Lucky to go look for him, he is probably having a fun time!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
In what is now called the Roman Forum. I have been there and see where he was cremated and where Marc Anthony gave his Eulogy. I think they stabbed Julius Cesar near the Senate in the Forum.

Salty Dog wrote:
I guess Captain Teague is still upstairs in my Tavern. I'll ask Lucky to go look for him, he is probably having a fun time!

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct. I was looking for the name of the place, though; your answer was too generic. I will give it to you though; as a simple Google search will now reveal the answer (since I have verified the general one).
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got from Wikipedia just now:

The assassination of Julius Caesar was the result of a conspiracy by many Roman senators. Led by Gaius Cassius Longinus, Decimus Junius Brutus, and Marcus Junius Brutus,[1][2] they stabbed Julius Caesar to death in a location adjacent to the Theatre of Pompey on the Ides of March (March 15), 44 BC. Caesar was the dictator of the Roman Republic at the time, having recently been declared dictator perpetuo by the Senate. This declaration made several senators fear that Caesar wanted to overthrow the Senate in favor of tyranny. The conspirators were unable to restore the Roman Republic. The ramifications of the assassination led to the Liberators' civil war and, ultimately, to the Principate period of the Roman Empire.

Next question:
Where is the Boll Weevil Monument located and why did the local community create this monument to the agricultural pest? No searching for 24 hours.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Got from Wikipedia just now:

The assassination of Julius Caesar was the result of a conspiracy by many Roman senators. Led by Gaius Cassius Longinus, Decimus Junius Brutus, and Marcus Junius Brutus,[1][2] they stabbed Julius Caesar to death in a location adjacent to the Theatre of Pompey on the Ides of March (March 15), 44 BC. Caesar was the dictator of the Roman Republic at the time, having recently been declared dictator perpetuo by the Senate. This declaration made several senators fear that Caesar wanted to overthrow the Senate in favor of tyranny. The conspirators were unable to restore the Roman Republic. The ramifications of the assassination led to the Liberators' civil war and, ultimately, to the Principate period of the Roman Empire.

Next question:
Where is the Boll Weevil Monument located and why did the local community create this monument to the agricultural pest? No searching for 24 hours.

I am clearly stumped. This is news to me. Wild guess, a New England town with a woolen mill. Because a cotton crop failure was good for the price of woolens!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting close on the reason but way off on the location. What are Boll Weevils known for, why are they considered pests?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are Beetles that lay eggs in/on the cotton seed pod, which the maggots bore through while it's still juicy.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been over 24 hours now, so search away! I have been to this place and seen the monument. That was back in 1977 but it's still there.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one wants to answer my question, I can ask another one......
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boll weevil monument is in Alabama (can't remember the city). The weevils' damage to the area cotton crop brought severe economic hardship to the area. Because of the economic hardship. the farmers in that area diversified, planting other crops, and economic prosperity returned.

If I remember correctly, the original monument (erected in the early 1900's) was a woman with up-stretched arms, and did not include the bug on top; the weevil was added several years later

I hope that is a sufficient answer.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is!
The monument is located in Enterprise, Alabama near Dothan, Alabama. I know because my first job with the Government was as an auditor for the US Army and my first assignment was at Fort Rucker, Alabama - right next to Dothan and Enterprise.

The monument is to thank the boll weevil for destroying their cotton crops and encouraging them to try something else. What they switched to is peanuts. Their peanut crops bring them far more money than they ever made on cotton and they are glad they made the change.

Your turn fleetp!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 894, 895, 896  Next
Page 383 of 896

Jump to: