Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 497, 498, 499 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was educational-

Thomas A. Marshall 28th Vice President of the United States.

I don't recognize him or his name, but I recognize his joke about vice presidents.

Marshall was known for his quick wit and good sense of humor. On hearing of his nomination as vice president, he announced that he was not surprised, as "Indiana is the mother of Vice Presidents; home of more second-class men than any other state".[118] One of his favorite jokes, which he delivered in a speech on the eve of his departure for Washington, D.C., to become vice president, recounted a story of a man with two sons. One of the sons went to sea and drowned and the other was elected vice president; neither son was ever heard from again.[119] On his election as vice president, he sent Woodrow Wilson a book, inscribed "From your only Vice".[118]
His humor caused him trouble during his time in Washington. He was known to greet citizens walking by his office on the White House tour by saying to them, "If you look on me as a wild animal, be kind enough to throw peanuts at me."[77] This prompted Wilson to move Marshall's office to the Senate Office building, where he would not be disturbed by visitors.[118] In response to a proposal to the board of the Smithsonian Institution to send a team to excavate for ruins in Guatemala, Marshall suggested that the team instead excavate around Washington. When asked why, he replied that, judging by the looks of the people walking on the street, they should be able to find buried cave-men no more than six feet down. The joke was not well received, and he was shut out of board meetings for nearly a year.[62]
His serious remarks could get him in trouble as well. Some of his public utterances in 1913, in which he appeared to advocate radical ideas in regard to the inheritance of property, caused much criticism.

Do you have another question, Roland?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall practiced law in my hometown in Indiana before going into politics. His former home is now the county historical museum.

New cigar question: Who said, "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time"?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Naples, Italy today and drove the famous Amalie Coast with lunch 8n Sorrento. Had the original Naples pizza for lunch. good stuff!

I will guess George Burns on the trivia question.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I will guess George Burns on the trivia question.

A good guess, but not correct.

The remark in question was heard at a celebration of the cigar smoker's 70th birthday in 1905.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hunch before the last clue-

W. C. Fields
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect. In 1905, Fields was only 25 years old.

Another famous quote from our cigar smoker: "I came in with Halley’s Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it." He died of a heart attack one day after the comet appeared at its brightest in 1910.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from Messina, Italy!

Sounds like Mark Twain to me.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Sounds like Mark Twain to me.

Indeed it is! Your turn, Salty.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more cigar question.
Who said “A woman is a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke”.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Valletta, Malta today. Warm weather but we do expect a thunderstorm or two. First time for us in Malta.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out we did not have rain today, lucky us! I bet Duke Roland know a lot about the Knights of St. John (Hospitallers). I sure did not. We were introduced to them today.

I am at sea and unavailable. Go ahead and use a search eng8 e and then ask the next question. See you on Friday.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and use a search engine.

We were in Kotor, Montenegro today - wow, what a beautiful place with awesome friendly people! Tomorrow we visit Split, Croatia. This is a trip of a lifetime!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from a poem entitled "The Betrothed" by Rudyard Kipling. It's about a woman forcing a choice between her and cigars.

https://www.bartleby.com/364/31.html

Who said "If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're right." ?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Split, Croatia today visiting the beautiful island city of Trogir and Diocletians palace in Split. We continue to have good weather and small crowds. This is great! Looking 10 yea4s down the road it looks to many of us that the good tourist sites will be way over crowded with millions of newly enriched Indians and Chinese tourists all wanting to see 5he same tourist sites. Our intention is to see them while we can, both tourist wise and physically able. Idea
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Who said "If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're right." ?

This fellow was born in Michigan 1863, and died there in 1947.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 497, 498, 499 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 498 of 894

Jump to: