Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 508, 509, 510 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about this.
I don't remember when it happened, I was probably too young to pay attention, or didn't know who he was at the time. However, I did read "My Brother, Ernest Hemingway," which was an interesting biography. I think I read it in the 80s.

My first instincts told me 1964.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
It was somewhere around 1962

Very close. I'm looking for the exact year.

1964 is also incorrect.

Feel free to do a search.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki says it was July 2nd, 1961. He was 61.

To keep things going, Hemingway lived in Key West next to the light house. This house is now a museum, and is famous for animals with an unusual feature.

What is this feature?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:

To keep things going, Hemingway lived in Key West next to the light house. This house is now a museum, and is famous for animals with an unusual feature.

What is this feature?

Extra toes?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:

What is this feature?

Hemingway shot them.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Rusty Edge wrote:

What is this feature?

Extra toes?

Yes, the cats are polydactyl and descended from a cat given to Hemmingway by a sea captain. It's a fairly common occurrence in Maine Coon cats.

"Descendants of Hemingway's original cats continue to live on the premises. In 2009, the cats became the subject of federal litigation after a museum visitor expressed concern about the cats' welfare. United States Department of Agriculture investigators visited the museum and subsequently ordered the museum to take measures to tag the cats for identification and to shelter them.[4] The museum fought the regulations in court but lost their case in the court of appeals, which ruled that the cats "substantially affect" interstate commerce and thus are protected by the Animal Welfare Act of 1966.[5] The house does not sell cats but does continue a selective breeding program for them."

Your turn, Roland
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last year and saw the cats with extra toes. That question has been posted here before. Quite unusual feature.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what year did Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer first appear? If no one gets the exact year, the closest guess wins.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Autry’s song! How about 1955?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I was there last year and saw the cats with extra toes. That question has been posted here before. Quite unusual feature.

Sorry Salty. That is always the challenge for me. 1) Has this been asked before? 2) Is there a definitive answer? 3) Will the answer be common enough that somebody will know it or be able to guess it?

Sadly, my memory doesn't have it's former clarity. This thread has covered a lot of territory over the years.

Out of curiosity, I have a cruise question for you. Is there a cruise destination port in the western hemisphere without a Diamonds International? I can only think of terminal ports, and private islands, that don't have them.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of Diamonds International stores!!! None in the USA ports, or Canada but all the Carib ports have them for sure!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Lots of Diamonds International stores!!! None in the USA ports, or Canada but all the Carib ports have them for sure!

They're in the Alaska panhandle, too.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not heard back on this one for a while. It has been over 24 hours. I looked it up and will report my results soon.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a closest-guess-wins question, I thought it went without saying that cheating is out of bounds. I was hoping to get at least one more guess before declaring a winner. Obviously 1955 is not the exact year.

If there are no more guesses by 10pm, Salty wins by default.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, popularly known as "Santa's ninth reindeer", is a fabled reindeer created by Robert Lewis May. Rudolph is usually depicted as the lead reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh on Christmas Eve, though he is a young buck who has only adolescent antlers and a glowing red nose. Though he receives scrutiny for it, the luminosity of his nose is so great that it illuminates the team's path through harsh winter weather.

Rudolph first appeared in a 1939 booklet written by Robert L. May and published by Montgomery Ward, the department store.[1][2][3]

The story is owned by The Rudolph Company, LP and has been adapted in numerous forms including a popular song, the iconic 1964 television special and sequels, and a feature film and sequel.[4] Character Arts, LLC manages the licensing for the Rudolph Company, LP. In many countries, Rudolph has become a figure of Christmas folklore. 2014 marked the 75th anniversary of the character[5] and the 50th anniversary of the television special.[6] A series of postage stamps featuring Rudolph was issued by the United States Postal Service on November 6, 2014.[

Rudolph made his first screen appearance in 1948, in a cartoon short produced by Max Fleischer for the Jam Handy Corporation that was more faithful to May's original story than Marks' song, which had not yet been written.[13] It was reissued in 1951 with the song added.[13]

May's brother-in-law, Johnny Marks, adapted the story of Rudolph into a song. Gene Autry's recording of the song hit No. 1 on the Billboard pop singles chart the week of Christmas 1949. Autry's recording sold 2.5 million copies the first year, eventually selling a total of 25 million, and it remained the second best-selling record of all time until the 1980s
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 508, 509, 510 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 509 of 894

Jump to: