Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: New Quiz Thread Reply with quote

Rupertlittlebear tells me that Kallie's thread and Brandyblue's it really happened thread got locked down because someone auto spammed. Seems a pity. So I am starting a new quiz thread right here. Any subject is okay, so long as its nothing that might get the thread shut down. I don't think we need a list of rules this time. If you've been on the Kallie or Brandyblue thread, you know how this goes.

First question:
What is the name of the kind of plane the Red Baron flew? I mean that famous red thing with three pairs of wings that people always think of when they think of the Red Baron, not the other types he flew. Please try to be more specific than "triplane."
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen - or the Red Baron flew varoius planes :

A two-seater Albatros C.III.
A Fokker Eindecker single-seat fighter
An Albatros D.II
An Albatros D.III
A Halberstadt D.II.
An Albatros D.V in

But - the One you are After I believe is the Fokker Dr.I triplane..
HarveyCrimmins
Swabbie

2459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there was a game almost as addictive as Pirates.
I flew the whole war a few times!

Original Red Baron, not that 3D, buggy mess.

Dynamix. How I loved you!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarveyCrimmins wrote:
Now there was a game almost as addictive as Pirates.
I flew the whole war a few times!

Original Red Baron, not that 3D, buggy mess.

Dynamix. How I loved you!

loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Quiz Thread Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Rupertlittlebear tells me that Kallie's thread and Brandyblue's it really happened thread got locked down because someone auto spammed.
Umm, not auto spammed but, power spammed or spamming for gold, as in the last post on each thread with 25 smilies and somewhere over 5,000 periods is what probably got them locked. I think your other locked thread may come to close to the "no politics" restriction as well. Confused
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sparticus, that's the plane.

Sorry if I offended anyone by posting about the American Revolution. Of course it was a political event at the time, but most of history is just politics gone past their expiration date.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - you learn something new every day.

My question is :

What was the date that Australia Adopted the decimal currency system - and stopped using Pounds Shillings - and probably - pieces of eight ?
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Australia, the decimal system was brought to the attention of Governor Philip Gidley King in 1803 by visiting French explorer Nicolas Baudin. While a proposed issue of coins for 20, 50, 100 and 1,000 farthings is mentioned in the Official Records of New South Wales, there is no evidence that it was seriously considered. With the exception of Governor Brisbane's experiment with the Spanish dollar between 1823 and 1826, the British system was to remain entrenched in Australia through federation in 1901 and for another 65 years until 1966.

Australia's parliamentary records show that a number of unsuccessful attempts were made to generate interest in a decimal currency system. In 1901, George Bertrand Edwards got ageement to the establishment of a select committee to look into the matter. They recommended a decimal system based on a sovereign equal to 1000 mils. Despite their report being adopted by the House of Representatives in 1903, nothing happened. Support for the change fell away with a change of government in 1905, and with Edwards' death in 1910, so died any remaining interest in the proposal.

The ultimately successful push for decimal currency in Australia began in 1958 when the Prime Minister, Sir Robert Menzies, made an election promise to investigate its possibilities. The investigation committee which was eventually established, reported back in 1961, having considered 5 different decimal systems: £ - mil, £ - cent, 10s - cent, 8/4d - cent and 5s - cent. The 8/4d - cent scheme would have provided for an exact conversion from the £-s-d system but none of the existing denominations would match logical decimal denominations (eg. the shilling would become 12 cents, a rather strange decimal denomination, were it to have been released).

http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-Web/aust/decimal.htm

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really Correct :

The Push for decimal currancy started in 1958 but : but Decimal currency was introduced on 14 February 1966.

But - I am generous - as I was recently keel hauled - and still hurting from that.

Your Turn E.C.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a Week and no questions still - have we drunk too much grog ?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's no point in waiting for Extra-C. Maybe the Crispy One refuses to accept charity and rejects your offer of generosity.

What significance does the phrase "yummy yellow" have for divers?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
I guess there's no point in waiting for Extra-C. Maybe the Crispy One refuses to accept charity and rejects your offer of generosity.?

We could start a new Thread here - What has hapenned to Extra Crispy ?

Quote:
What significance does the phrase "yummy yellow" have for divers?

Upon consulting my Knowledge base - the answer I am submitting is :

It's the colour of the Cold Water Diving Suits that are used to keep Divers Warm - the Colour is Yellow - and Apparently Sharks Love the Colour Yellow - hence the Phrase " Yummy Yellow"
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was slow getting back. Yes, according to rumor sharks think yellow looks tastey. Maybe next time you make some prisoners walk the plank, you should dress some of them in yellow andconduct a "taste test."
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Who Am I..

I am an actor.

I Acted in swashbuckler type films .

I loved to partake in "Grog" - to the point where it is blamed in my death.
(See this Thread )
http://hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5978

I wrote an autobiography called : My Wicked, Wicked Ways

Who Am I ?
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The famous Capt'n Blood of course - Errol Flynn!
Is that book any good?

My question is: what was the weekly menu for the crew in the Royal Navy?
(We probably all know it had salt beef and salt pork... I want to know how much of what was given out on which day of the week! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 1 of 894

Jump to: