Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Reichsmarine before being called the Kreigsmarine.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog gave the answer (Reichsmarine) I was looking for, as that was the name immediately prior to Kriegsmarine.
Your turn, Salty.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
Which European country in the second world war first fought against both sides.

Edit: There are more than one possible answer. I'll accept any.

The big answer to this question if the Soviet Union. They started fighting with Hitler when it came to taking over Poland. Then after that, Germany invaded the Soviet Union trying to take it over and before the war ended, over 20 million people were killed. There was more land action in the Eastern Front than in the Western Front.

Well, yes the Soviet Union would be an acceptable answer, though by the same logic you could say that Germany fought with the Soviet Union and then against it, so why not Germany as well? I think I asked a question with too many answers.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:

The big answer to this question if the Soviet Union. They started fighting with Hitler when it came to taking over Poland. Then after that, Germany invaded the Soviet Union trying to take it over and before the war ended, over 20 million people were killed. There was more land action in the Eastern Front than in the Western Front.

Well, yes the Soviet Union would be an acceptable answer, though by the same logic you could say that Germany fought with the Soviet Union and then against it, so why not Germany as well? I think I asked a question with too many answers.

Because Germany fought for the Axis Powers throughout the entire war, while the Soviet Union left the Axis Powers and fought for the Allies. That was my thinking. Many answers to this one.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What City did the TV Show "Happy Days" take place in.

This one is easy!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass, because they have a statue of "The Fonz" in my city. It is too easy.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:

Because Germany fought for the Axis Powers throughout the entire war, while the Soviet Union left the Axis Powers and fought for the Allies. That was my thinking. Many answers to this one.

The Soviet Union fought on the Soviet side throughout the entire war, while Germany left the Soviet side. Depends on how you look at it.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

This one is easy!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Name one other television show that used Milwaukee as the main location (hint: The location was later changed to California).
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

This one is easy!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Name one other television show that used Milwaukee as the main location (hint: The location was later changed to California).

If nobody is going to bite on this question, I'll try to answer. The Happy Days spin-off Laverne and Shirley was set in Milwaukee. They worked in a brewery. More recently "That 70s Show" was also set in Milwaukee. Which of them moved to California, I don't know, because I didn't normally watch either show.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:

If nobody is going to bite on this question, I'll try to answer. The Happy Days spin-off Laverne and Shirley was set in Milwaukee. They worked in a brewery. More recently "That 70s Show" was also set in Milwaukee. Which of them moved to California, I don't know, because I didn't normally watch either show.

"Laverne and Shirley" is correct. It's your turn, Rusty.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across something about the loudest land mammals today. Then I did some more digging. A lot depends on proximity and frequency.

Wolfpacks, elephants, and lions are all very loud, usually measuring in the mid 110s of decibels.

There are a few land mammals that are much louder, sometimes in the 130-140 decibel range. The first to guess one of these wins.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know if this is right or not but a Howler monkey sounds loud to me.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a bugling bull Elk?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I wouldn't know if this is right or not but a Howler monkey sounds loud to me.

Yes, Howler Monkeys are up there at 140 decibels.

Other particularly loud animals are pigs, which have been measured a lot because they are domesticated, and have been measured in the 110-140 range.

The loudest land mammal is sort of a trick, because it's call is in a frequency beyond human hearing. It's the bulldog bat, which catches fish, and uses it's sonar to find them.

https://www.signiausa.com/2018/06/08/top-5-loudest-animals-land-mammal-edition/

Sorry Salty, I couldn't find Elk on any of the lists.

Your turn, Pirate
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say a elks bugle should be right up there and even a crowing rooster will drive you nuts. I really wasn't expecting to win this time so it was pure luck on my part it made the list. I mean I did know they are loud but I never heard them except on tv. Howler monkeys is something that just stuck to my brain from a long time ago. Perhaps I thought their name was funny or something. Anyway enough jabbering and on with it. next question.

What is commonly called the world's oldest profession even though it may not be but it's probably close?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 466 of 894

Jump to: