Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

can you influence when defence turned offence moves occur
View previous topic :: View next topic  

when fighting aboard a ship what is your favored tool
Cutlass
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Longsword
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Rapier
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Pistol
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Bucket
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Evasive Maneuvers
Swabbie

1479 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: can you influence when defence turned offence moves occur Reply with quote

is there anyway when you jump to tell it to jump(arcing backwards) and then slash them with your sword. or is it completly random when this happens.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens whenever you time your jump just right. There is an equivalent special maneuver when you time a duck just right.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing, timing and timing!

The earlier you react, the better.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
It happens whenever you time your jump just right. There is an equivalent special maneuver when you time a duck just right.

I thought it was completely random, it rarely happens when i duel Sad
Nice to know though, a concrete thing to practice.

Wolfwood wrote:
Timing, timing and timing!

The earlier you react, the better.

I find that on higher levels, when defending really early, the opponent changes his attacking move right when you defend. Is this because you otherwise would have got the special counterattack, or just because you react a little too quick?
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sometimes you can be too quick. There is timing also in when to shift from a feint to your attack. Sometimes when I have feinted on way just before, I will hit the same key 2-3 times quickly to "convince" my "opponent" that I am serious, and then shift to attack - but if you linger too long, your intended feint becomes your real attack. Usually not so good.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that my longsword tactics mentioned above works against a longsword-wielding or cutlass-wielding Marquis Montalban and every other opponent. However, when facing a rapier-wielding Montalban, i have not a snowballs chance in hell defeating him with a longsword.

In my current Swashbuckler game, i boarded Montalbans ship with an about 215 vs. 85 crew advantage, but i still lost real quick with my trusty longsword Sad (I had fencing skill, all the fencing items and was in good health)

So i lost the motivation to continue, and will keep practising with the rapier before continuing or starting anew... But the my fencing strategy should work just as well with a rapier.

just thought you should know, Montalban is a real challenge...
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:

Yeah, I'm about to give up on beating him in his lair on Swash. I've reached the point in the Fencing Academy where I can beat the jealous fiance on Swash with no skill and no items about 80% of the time, but I'm helpless against Montalban when he uses his special attack.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Guru wrote:

Yeah, I'm about to give up on beating him in his lair on Swash. I've reached the point in the Fencing Academy where I can beat the jealous fiance on Swash with no skill and no items about 80% of the time, but I'm helpless against Montalban when he uses his special attack.

I have the impression that he is faster in his ship than in his hideout, but maybe I must test some more.

At least, he stays at the same place when you have found his secret hideout. You don't have to go hunt him down, or find a new large ship and amass a big crew once again. It's really easy to take out Montalban's Indian army with minimal casualties Wink
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the rapier - with the low slash - seems to work more often than not.

I do not have sword fighting as my skill - but health.
jeff204vk
Cutthroat

529 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
However, when facing a rapier-wielding Montalban, I have not a snowball's chance in Hell defeating him with a longsword. In my current Swashbuckler game, I boarded Montalban's ship with an about 215 vs. 85 crew advantage, but I still lost real quick with my trusty longsword Sad (I had fencing skill, all the fencing items and was in good health) So I lost the motivation to continue

Don't give up! One possibility is to use grape shot before you board to give yourself even more of an advantage. Twisted Evil I often bring his crew down to 1 before boarding. Then any of the sword choices work. Smile
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutlass is my favorite sword. Duelling Victorious

I didn't see the hook (on the pole) in the poll Laughing but that's my other favorite weapon. Now I will (rarely) use the longsword (just for "ha-ha's") though I'm not as fond of it as my cutlass. I never use a rapier. I accidently clicked on it when I went up against Blackbeard! I lost. Sad I lost BAD. Crying or Very sad Luckily, in round 2, I clicked the cutlass and said "Hey Blackbeard, remember me?!" Mad And I won 35900 gold pieces! Greedy Ha! Take THAT Blackbeard! Razz
Orange Irish
Powder Monkey

332 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Long time reader, first post! Reply with quote

Hello all, I finally decide to stop lurking and post on here. Hope you all let me swab the decks and earn my keep.

On Swashbuckler level the best weapon for a ship duel is...grape shot. Most opponents are not good enough to beat me straight up with the rapier (I only use the rapier). But the occassional pirate hunter, Spanish Raider, or Montalban can really ruin a game for me at that level. So if I don't have special stuff (shirt, swords, vest) or if I've gotten old and slower (or if you don't happen to be a strong fencer in general) the best tactic is to cripple the ship or (if skilled enough in sea battle) to only grape shot the opponent so they give up upon boarding or have no room for error in the subsequent ship duel.

If circumstances remove those options, I've found that a Rapier is still my best option for quick counter attacking, or even just thrashing away. Depending on your skill at fencing though, the cutlass could be best against the hardest opponents, mainly if you struggle with reaction time.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your enthusiasm inspired me to take another whack at Fencing Academy 2.

On "Swashbucker Age & Items", after many tries I was able to defeat the French captain of the guard, using a longsword. With a rapier, I just lost too quickly, and with a cutlass, it seemed that no matter how far I pushed the advantage bar I could never slow him down enough to land a single hit.

It was interesting switching weapons between bouts with the same opponent; moving from a rapier to a cutlass, it was amazing how much faster I could jump and block.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: