Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Editing the EXE
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: hit boxes and broadsides Reply with quote

Fascinating research...very envious of your talent.

I have found that shots at pinnace class ships often explode yards and even ship's length behind or to the side ...can this anomaly be corrected by slight adjustment to the value? I find it very disconcerting to have shot pass behind my flag vessel only to explode some distance away.

Archeologists in northern Germany have discovered two projectiles from the 17 century that suggest exploding cannon balls have been around longer than thought. A complex fuse system may have led the bombs to detonate when they reached their targets.. Is this what is represented by this display or am I reading too much into it?

Broadsides I have noticed vary in collimation, sometimes wide with stray shots at a strange angel from the pointing angle of the broadside. Sometimes the shot is linear which indicates a very expert gun crew using powder touch-hole firing simultaneously, only found on crack military vessels with a hardcore Captain and an expert gunner's mate in charge.

A random variation suggests a random value generator which figures into the pattern of shot. Have you noticed such a mechanism?

I would like to incorporate your information to improve the ship battle experience and make it more realistic. What do you use for the editing? Where can I find it?

Thanks matey ...you be a yarrr fellow!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My mistake :( Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
The mention of an icon similar to the one on the desktop made me double check the cd listing and I did find the icon ... I was looking for a file extension .exe which is what is usually used for such things and just didn't consider the icon as the indicator. However, the 3.2 Mb file size let me know that this was a big file and the exe.

Okay...that mystery solved, let's proceed to opening and moding the exe. When I click on it the game starts, which is what should happen, so I'm not bothered by that. However, what do you use to get into and mod this file? I need to download and install it.

Thanks mate

Files on CD usually can't be modded. The only exception is if the CD is specifically set up for read/write. The simplest way to see if you can write to your CD is to try to copy a file and paste it to the CD.
Regarding modding a file (IF the file can be modded), any hex editor program will do. Do a google search for hex editor and pick one.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: The C drive file Reply with quote

The file referred to is the C drive file.

How do I open it without starting the game in order to mod the values to make the game reasonable? What did you use or what is the recommended software and where is it?

Thanks Mate
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: The C drive file Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
The file referred to is the C drive file.

How do I open it without starting the game in order to mod the values to make the game reasonable? What did you use or what is the recommended software and where is it?

Thanks Mate

Check the last post on the second page of the thread http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6887&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
The Grim Sleeper
Powder Monkey

45 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: In-combat points of sail Reply with quote

THREAD NECROMANCY GO!!!!

So I've gotten myself a hex editor, and a Pirates!.exe and tweaked around a bit, making a super Ship-of-the-Line that turns like a Pinnace, holds more crew than a small city, more cargo than a large city, and (courtesy of that 'points of sail' that Mandiuscreel posted) sails against the wind as quickly as it sails with the wind...

until I engage in combat!?!

Ok, confession time: I switched the sailing stats of the SoL to the Barque-class, so that if I ever just play again, all normal vessels will still be normal, and the otherwise uninteresting Barques can have a the souped up turbo nonsense that can then be applied to whatever I like.
But it would seem that there is a separate 'points of sail'-table for combat, as my super-SoL can't even catch up to a merchantman in a fight.

Does anybody (who is still) here know how to edit that part of the ship stats?

EDIT: woops, I wasn't testing properly; my SoL still had SoL sails, but Phalzyr trainer made it handle better when out of combat.

Last edited by The Grim Sleeper on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from this thread

possibly also this thread

I'm thinking about a mod to change data in the ship table
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7098

posted Game version 1.02 EXE memory locations for Ships

Mandiuscreel post on page 2 - points of sail info
Mon May 23, 2016

http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

scroll down
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: speed Reply with quote

AdamMilt 1st posts on here covered that. He even has a mod that the cannons are firing about 2/3 there real life speed.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14583 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that has always bugged me is when you're deliberately abandoning a ship on the open sea and it asks if you're sure, because you'd be losing X amount of cargo. The options are "Ooops, never mind" and "No problem."

I usually change my mind here, but I ALWAYS end up clicking that stupid "no problem" out of instinct, surely because of the word "no" in there (which in this case means go ahead and sink it).

I think its at offset 31ca3 in the Challenge Pack exe, or just ctrl+F "no problem". I've changed it to "Sink it!" for now, it doesn't look like "abandon ship!" will fit. This should help my brain actually take a second and think about the choice I'm making
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: