Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Has anyone made a treasure map coastline atlas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Has anyone made a treasure map coastline atlas? Reply with quote

Many of the treasure maps show a distinctive bit of coastline. If you recognize the coastline, you can go right for the treasure location without waiting to buy more of the map to find what city it is near.

For example, the small V shaped bay north of a small dogbone island is north of Vera Cruz - due west of the Florida Keys.

Has anyone ever compiled an altas of all of the interesting coastlines, pointing to their locations on the World Map?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone made a treasure map coastline atlas? Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
Many of the treasure maps show a distinctive bit of coastline. If you recognize the coastline, you can go right for the treasure location without waiting to buy more of the map to find what city it is near.

For example, the small V shaped bay north of a small dogbone island is north of Vera Cruz - due west of the Florida Keys.

Has anyone ever compiled an altas of all of the interesting coastlines, pointing to their locations on the World Map?

Each game is random - so no point Smile
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arr, them's fightin' words! Mad

The coastlines on the treasure maps are stylized compared to the world map. The stylizations don't change from one game to the next.

Observe:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/Atlas_Demo.png

On the left we have the most zoomed in world map of the Yucatan Peninsula. On the right, we have a zoomed out world map, with a cleaned up and shrunk treasure map superimposed.

Notice how the additional smooth detail of the world map makes the funny bay look different than the angular stepwise bay found in the treasure map.

What say ye now? Duelling
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
Arr, them's fightin' words! Mad

What say ye now? Duelling

Razz I hope your Apple Gets Worms Smile Razz

Duelling

jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's my project:

I've been collecting lots and lots of treasure map screenshots, cropping them down and cleaning them up, then stitching them together, in hopes of creating a complete treasure-map accurate coastline. Usually I start a new game on apprentice, and collect 9 maps - sometimes 10 or 11 by taking on a few Raymondos.

Here's an example of what it looks like:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/Hispanola.png

I think it would make a terrific mod to replace the coastline of the Spanish Rutter map with one that was treasure-map accurate. It would make the Rutter completely worth the money. Unfortunately, playing on a mac, I'll probably never get to see it as a mod.

Anyone want to help?

Just upload a pile of links to complete treasure maps. Please post full screen shots, (4x3 aspect ratio) so if I have to scale it, I know it won't be distorted.

This morning I went through all old postings in the Orienteering forum, grabbing all of the useful treasure map snapshots. Admittedly, they are almost all shots from the corner of the Bay of Honduras or up north of Vera Cruz, but they do fit with the snapshots I've taken myself.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
So here's my project:

I've been collecting lots and lots of treasure map screenshots, cropping them down and cleaning them up, then stitching them together, in hopes of creating a complete treasure-map accurate coastline. Usually I start a new game on apprentice, and collect 9 maps - sometimes 10 or 11 by taking on a few Raymondos.

Here's an example of what it looks like:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/Hispanola.png

I think it would make a terrific mod to replace the coastline of the Spanish Rutter map with one that was treasure-map accurate. It would make the Rutter completely worth the money. Unfortunately, playing on a mac, I'll probably never get to see it as a mod.

Anyone want to help?

Just upload a pile of links to complete treasure maps. Please post full screen shots, (4x3 aspect ratio) so if I have to scale it, I know it won't be distorted.

This morning I went through all old postings in the Orienteering forum, grabbing all of the useful treasure map snapshots. Admittedly, they are almost all shots from the corner of the Bay of Honduras or up north of Vera Cruz, but they do fit with the snapshots I've taken myself.

But aren't the location's of the treasure's seeded randomly when you start a new game ?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
But aren't the location's of the treasure's seeded randomly when you start a new game ?
no

they are seeded when you get the first map piece
(for each map)

However the special areas stay the same
like every inland lake.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
sparticus wrote:
no

(for each map)

like every inland lake.

But Different for each new game ??? Rupert ???
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
sparticus wrote:
no

(for each map)

like every inland lake.

nopers

the lakes remain the same
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
sparticus wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
sparticus wrote:
no

(for each map)

like every inland lake.

nopers

the lakes remain the same

Ar Harrrrrrrrr!!
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YArrrrrrrrrrrr!
I be doing it correct?
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not done yet, but here's what it looks like so far:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/TreasureMapRutter11320.png

I would guess that with access to the source code this could be whipped out in an hour, but this is purely built up from many, many screenshots.

The background is the zoomed in World Map. The treasure maps are scaled by .15 in the width and .25 in the height to make them match the same scale. I find it is most efficient that after purchasing a map and taking a snapshot (on apprentice, so it is the entire map), to leave town, load game "arrival", and buy another map! often they will overlap at the landmark.

I'd love some help - I need more maps, particularly out past Campeche, and on the NE coasts of Hispanola and Cuba. I guess you can look for yourself to see where the coastline is not updated. I do have a few orphan maps not yet integrated into the big map, but especially for long flat coastlines I want several interlocking maps to be sure I have it right.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
It's not done yet, but here's what it looks like so far:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/TreasureMapRutter11320.png

I would guess that with access to the source code this could be whipped out in an hour, but this is purely built up from many, many screenshots.

The background is the zoomed in World Map. The treasure maps are scaled by .15 in the width and .25 in the height to make them match the same scale. I find it is most efficient that after purchasing a map and taking a snapshot (on apprentice, so it is the entire map), to leave town, load game "arrival", and buy another map! often they will overlap at the landmark.

I'd love some help - I need more maps, particularly out past Campeche, and on the NE coasts of Hispanola and Cuba. I guess you can look for yourself to see where the coastline is not updated. I do have a few orphan maps not yet integrated into the big map, but especially for long flat coastlines I want several interlocking maps to be sure I have it right.

No Promises - but someone migt help you Smile
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice project you got going!

I once had a similar idea, and I actually have quite a few maps to add to your collection Smile

It seems you've got together a lot already, but I should have something to contribute to Campeche and Gran Granada especially Wink

Here's a link to my Photobucket page: http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/Guruh8/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

The first 27 is full treasure maps from Pirates!

I can't promise I will continue to contribute, but if something especially interesting or difficult comes up, I'll post it Finding Treasure
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: