Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Has anyone made a treasure map coastline atlas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cd is so scratched that it resulted in a broken image.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
Cd is so scratched that it resulted in a broken image.

DoH !!!!!
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, here's an update:

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l551/jlangsdo/?action=view&current=TreasureMapRutter11827.png

It has more coastline, it's cropped down so it prints a little bit larger, and I made the treasure maps opaque because it makes it easier to see the coastlines.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Incredibly nice, very smooth Smile Will be a great help to any game Finding Treasure
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new entry:

This one is almost directly pulled out of the savegame file - I just added the bmp header, a color table, and padding at the end of each line. And then flipped and rotated.

This has a single pixel per map location, it doesn't show the funny curvy coastline of the treasure maps - but the curvy coastline in the treasure maps is actually derived from this map in the savegame file. (If I edit this part of the savegame file, the treasure maps drawn in the game are altered.)

It appears that the coastline drawn around any spot depends on the value of that spot and the 4 spots N,S,E, and W of it. So if your spot is land with water N,E,and W with land S, then you get that funny little peninsula as seen on the N coast of Jamaica.

And one other tidbit - the savegame from the original Fencing Academy, from 2005, is slightly different. There is a little cove in the NW of Lake Maracaibo that doesn't appear in any game I start. Perhaps they fixed the map in one of the patches years ago.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: treasure map coding Reply with quote

I am double posting this (jlangsdo seems to spend a lot of time in the mods forum as I do). I'm not prone to use cheats (ok ok I created the interceptor mail runner but it has +'s and -'s to balance it out) but all the "markers" i.e "cutthroat rock" "captains point" etc are there for a reason. Real sailors used these as nav aids! I realize they are spawned at the beginning of each game and are therefore not hardcoded, however there must be a way to display them.
The settlements,missions,pirate havens, indian village, and markers are all randomly generated at the beginning of a game. the settlemetns will appear on your map if you purchase the rutter, the pirate havens when a bar maid/tender tells you about a named pirate, but the missions,indian villages, and markers will only appear AFTER you have sailed by them. I would like to be able to display them (the markers) the same way the missions and villages display once you have sighted them.
I have already done a test save start of game then after traveling a distance. I think I can see in the unpacked savegame where this is, but even if I'm correct where is the code that performs the action for the missions villages etc?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: complete atlas Reply with quote

A treasure map atlas is a good idea! I tried my hand at creating one. It's not as stylish as jslangdo's, but it should be complete and accurate. Have a look. I created four different sizes. I think the smallest is a bit too small and the largest is quite a bit too large. The middle two sizes are best. But you can choose whichever suits you. Maybe even take the biggest one and print it out in landscape. :-) It should have high enough resolution to print a poster.

http://www.adammil.net/files/121/atlas256.png (1/256th full size, 1808x1136 pixels, 0.6MB)
http://www.adammil.net/files/121/atlas64.png (1/64th full size, 3616x2272 pixels, 1.2MB)
http://www.adammil.net/files/121/atlas16.png (1/16th full size, 7232x4544 pixels, 2.5MB)
http://www.adammil.net/files/121/atlas4.png (1/4th full size, 14464x9088 pixels, 5.7MB)

Of course they'll look ugly unless you zoom to their original sizes.

Update: I added the city and settlement locations to the maps. The icons may be half a square or so away from where they're shown in the real treasure maps, but I think it still provides useful information. Let me know if you think they're worse this way.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Atlas not the issue Reply with quote

I have all the Atlas needed in the game. While the map fragment is very limiting the "Vicinity of" criteria is in need of clarification...just how far a radius is "vicinity"? Triangulation by geysers, rather unique features, with angle and intersection should pinpoint the location of the Inca city....but the physical search over a very lengthy time produced no result...anyone have issues with missing cities?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas not the issue Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
I have all the Atlas needed in the game
The point of the atlas here is that it visually matches what you see on the treasure map, which can differ significantly in some places from the map that you sail on. The atlas is often very helpful if the map includes a coastline, since many sections of coastline are unique, so if you find them on the atlas then you know exactly where to go.

ronnraymore wrote:
just how far a radius is "vicinity"?
If it says "vicinity of X", then X is the closest city (as the crow flies - it may be further over water).

ronnraymore wrote:
anyone have issues with missing cities?
I haven't heard of any missing cities, but sometimes landmarks are similar between different treasure maps, including treasure maps that you haven't received yet. There might be two treasure locations in the area. (The actual treasure doesn't appear until you get the map, but the other landmarks may already be there.)

Last edited by AdamMil on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas not the issue Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
I haven't heard of any missing cities, but sometimes landmarks are similar between different treasure maps, including treasure maps that you haven't received yet. There might be two treasure locations in the area. (The actual treasure doesn't appear until you get the map, but the other landmarks may already be there.)

Exactly. Somebody here confirmed that recently; when you start the game most of the maps have already spawned (Lost Cities and Montalban's Fortress, specifically), you just cannot get the actual treasure until you have the map. Some do look very similar and it is maddening. Who names four different rocks "Dagger Point"!?
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Who names 4 diff rocks "Dagger Point" Reply with quote

The same person with an obsession for pointy daggers Smile HarHarHar?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who names 4 diff rocks "Dagger Point" Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
The same person with an obsession for pointy daggers Smile HarHarHar?

Aye, that has to be it. Sailor
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: The Code is It?) Reply with quote

Reality is defined by the Code Confused
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Code is It?) Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
Reality is defined by the Code Confused

Aye. The Code is the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: