Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Do buccaneers do more damage if the range is lower?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Do buccaneers do more damage if the range is lower? Reply with quote

It seems like the amount damage caused by my buccaneers is lower when they fire at the far end of their range, and higher when they are very close to the enemy.

Is this a real effect, or just my imagination?

And does it apply to the damage done by infantry, guards, and native bowmen?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same thing, but everything I've read suggests range doesn't matter. But my bucs (and the enemy units) usually do 15 - 20% damage at long range, and 25 - 37% at close range. If it's just your imagination, I'm imagining the same thing.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are comparing damage levels vs. equally undamaged enemy units? Or are the nearer units ones that you have already hit once or twice?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for jlangsdo, but I'm comparing previously un-shot at units being hit for the first time.
Rupert Drake
Powder Monkey

346 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closer your Buccaneers are, the more damage they do. 37% is the highest I've ever seen.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started taking notes, and the answer was very surprising!

For undamaged units against undamaged units, the % damage done by buccaneers is completely predictable (within 1%). It's not random!

Here's the key:

27 25
30 29 27 25
34 32 31
36 36
ME

For enemy troops, it's something like this:

?? 24 22
30 30
them

Try it and see!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:

For undamaged units against undamaged units, the % damage done by buccaneers is completely predictable (within 1%). It's not random!

Here's the key:

27 25
30 29 27 25
34 32 31
36 36
ME

?? 24 22
30 30
them

Try it and see!

I did, and I knew this already, but I think that the higher number show up (more often) at closer ranges.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your research!
Rupert Drake
Powder Monkey

346 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:

Here's the key:

27 25
30 29 27 25
34 32 31
36 36
ME

?? 24 22
30 30
them

Try it and see!

Nice, this is pretty cool and useful! Thanks for sharing Very Happy
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I love empiric research, some day we will have it all figured out Wink
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important implication is that ranged attack damage is the same, regardless of the type of troops attacked. So it pays to keep your officers out of musket fire. Pirates or buccaneers will take no more damage from muskets than officers. Similarly, it's better to fire on guards or cavalry than infantry, because the infantry will take no more damage even though they are weaker in hand to hand combat.

Follow up question:
When do troops disintegrate? We've all seen that 3 full strength buccaneer volleys in the same turn will destroy any troop grouping - is there a minimum % threshold (like 75%?) Does the threshold change if the ranged attacks are spread out in different turns?

Harder:
Are the melee attacks also deterministic?

I had always assumed they were random, but I thought the same about ranged attacks.... It seems to me that there are two variables - the attack/defense numbers displayed prominently (5x2+1 vs 2+2), and the unit sizes. A small (i.e. heavily damaged) unit can lose to a larger unit despite having better attack/defense numbers. It might be as simple as multiplying unit size times attack number, and then looking up the comparison on a table to determine the outcome.

So - have you ever seen an upset (skirmish results did not follow from displayed numbers) where the upset side had not already been damaged by a ranged attack? Equivalently, have your officers or pirates ever lost a skirmish against guards or infantry where your men had not been hit by ranged attacks first?

Is the outcome of a melee always victory or disintegration? Or can a unit win a skirmish but be reduced in strength?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen melee attacks where both sides ran home.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I'm sure I've seen melee attacks where both sides ran home.

So have I. I've also yelled at my screen when my (unshot at) Officers ran away from a group of Spanish Guards (who also hadn't been shot at). I've also seen Indian Scouts attack a wavering group of Pirates (who were in trees, scouts came from the plains) and run away with their tomahawks between their legs. I've never understood land combat, except that I would 8 times out of ten trade two of my pirate groups for buccaneers.

Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing Guns Blazing
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: just a reply Reply with quote

I personally love the land battles. I've gone in with less men than the attackee and still won.

Best I've seen me shooting them is 36% close range no obstructions.

Has anyone else noticed that of the 3 starting positions the number of buccaneer squads can change?

Is the fight or flight based on opponent numbers and/or trrop morale. Does thier shipboard morale interelate with thier initial morale rate on land?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: just a reply Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that of the 3 starting positions the number of buccaneer squads can change?

Yes, I have noticed that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: