Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Your favorite town
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Your favorite town Reply with quote

Ahoy you sea dogs, I'm new to this forum and I'm excited to meet such an active community about the best game I've ever played... I started to discover the Caribbean in the late 80s, playing the C64-Version... now I went for the Mac version, even more enthusiastic than in my childhood days;)

Anyway, you already discussed so many topics here, I wonder if you ever talked about your favorite cities - where did you made special experiences, where did you celebrate a glorious victory over Montalban or Raymondo, where did you met the most beautiful woman (or Sid Meier in the tavern;) which is the most beautiful city (I really love Grand Bahama and the little islands nearby) - and what is the best place to retire with your honey and your family?

By the way... I REALLY miss cities like Belize, Isabella (Columbus' first settlement), St. Thome and BERMUDA of course (compared to the C 64 version of the game)

PS: By the way, sorry for my poor English, I'm German, that should excuse everything;)
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, maturin!

I am a frequent visitor to Santiago. It is centrally located, which makes it a convenient place to visit on the way to somewhere else. And the merchant there always pays top dollar for sugar and spice, which makes it a good place to do business if you like to supplement your income by trading.

My least favorite cities are St. Augustine and the three Mexican cities, which are too far out of the way.
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Santiago is well located, even if you have to go to to the Gulf for Raymondo, Montalbans Hideout or a lost city.

Concerning the Indian settlements, doesn't they change from game to game? I got the impression that the number and the location of the indian settlements depends on the time you are playing...
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maturin wrote:
Concerning the Indian settlements, doesn't they change from game to game? I got the impression that the number and the location of the indian settlements depends on the time you are playing...
Welcome aboard Maturin. The small towns (with Mayor), the Indian settlements , the Jesuit settlements and the Pirate towns are randomly placed at the start of each new game in the PC version. I assume it's the same for for the Mac version.
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki59 wrote:
The small towns (with Mayor), the Indian settlements , the Jesuit settlements and the Pirate towns are randomly placed at the start of each new game in the PC version. I assume it's the same for for the Mac version.

Oh yes, it's the same for the Mac. Do you think the number and the location of the Indian, Jesuit and other Settlements depends on the era you are playing? I guess, in 1600 and 1620, there are few Indian settlements appearing mainly at Honduras Bay whereas in 1660 there are more Indian Settlemens at Cuba and Spanish Main...
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite town is the one closest to the four Lost Cities- and it has to contain a Governor's beautiful daughter. That way, I can go dance with her constantly and keep acquiring pieces of map!

An aside- why I need to be interviewed by her father after we are married, I really don't know. Maybe my privateer's father-in-law doesn't fully trust a vicious man who has sacked scores of cities and captured thousands of ships...although those foreigners plainly deserved such abuse!
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the poor governor a break, Dave. He's probably lonely. Everyone on the stupid blasted boring island is his social inferior and so he can never meet his equal, unless a duke sails into town. Bored too. He can never go on a cruise and if there's ever any fun fending off a land invasion, the guard captain gets to lead it.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, all he can do is drink tea, collect taxes, and fight off scurvy...not the most exciting life.

But if he wants to go in for some adventuring (I think he's likely an old sea dog that came over with the first English buccaneers) he can always ask...
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a soft spot for any town frequently mentioned in Pirate Flicks. Port Royale, Maracaibo, and Cartagena come to mind.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
I have a soft spot for any town frequently mentioned in Pirate Flicks. Port Royale, Maracaibo, and Cartagena come to mind.

Tortuga not to forget;)
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You're right, that's probably the most famous (infamous?) of 'em all! Silly me to forget it.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite towns (cities, ports, which ever you wish to call it)-

English (top favorite)- Nevis
2- St Kitts
3- Port Royale

French (top favorite)- Tortuga
2- Martinique
3- Petit Goave

Dutch (top favorite)- St Martin
2- Curacao
3- St Eustatius

Spanish (top favorite)- Margarita
2- Santa Marta
3- Santiago

It just depends on what nation I'm playing. Wink
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
My favorite towns (cities, ports, which ever you wish to call it)-

French (top favorite)- Tortuga
2- Martinique
3- Petit Goave

Wink

Yeah, Martinique is maybe the most beautiful city in the game, located between the hills on a nice island... I always love to switch to chase view while sailing to Martinique.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fav town is the one that I get the most gold from when I attack it : - Well - it is Pirates Smile
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
My least favorite cities are St. Augustine and the three Mexican cities, which are too far out of the way.

What about Gran Granada then ? That is a town noone needs.

As for the Mexican cities, they would be okay if there were a five or six more towns along the coast between Vera Cruz and Florida Keys (similar to the Port Royale 3 map). I remember jlangsdo was working on a map mod with extra towns, does anyone know what became of that project ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: