Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Your favorite town
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
Roland wrote:
My least favorite cities are St. Augustine and the three Mexican cities, which are too far out of the way.

I remember jlangsdo was working on a map mod with extra towns, does anyone know what became of that project ?

WOW!!! That would be fantastic!! I would donate to this project!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
What about Gran Granada then ? That is a town noone needs.

As for the Mexican cities, they would be okay if there were a five or six more towns along the coast between Vera Cruz and Florida Keys (similar to the Port Royale 3 map). I remember jlangsdo was working on a map mod with extra towns, does anyone know what became of that project ?

Fortunately, one never has to go to Gran Granada to track down criminals or villains, so visits there are optional.

As I recall, jlangsdo completed a draft of his gamefile editor, which, among other things, allows you to relocate cities. It should not be too difficult to find the threads where this was discussed.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

As I recall, jlangsdo completed a draft of his gamefile editor, which, among other things, allows you to relocate cities. It should not be too difficult to find the threads where this was discussed.

Ya, I found some threads about a savegame editor to be started via perl. I got the editor working today with the help of two other threads but I can not get a manipulated save game loaded. I either get a crash after loading the save game or i end up sailing on an empty water map.
Big Dog Barque
Powder Monkey

124 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I perfer the 1660's, Nevis! It's located in the most highly active section. You have 2 Dutch cities behind you and a French city right next to you. San Juan takes a few days to get to, but it's something Spanish to attack. I did try afew other time frames but couldn't adjust to the missing cities! Shocked
jeff204vk
Cutthroat

529 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more nearby cities the better, since that means more targets. I often spend time along the string of cities at the east side of the map, since there's a fair number of cities of a mix of nations there. Plus, one of the English cities often has a beautiful daughter. Some of my least favorite cities are in the area of the Yucatan - it takes forever to get back from them, and cities can be really sparse in that area.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff204vk wrote:
The more nearby cities the better, since that means more targets. I often spend time along the string of cities at the east side of the map, since there's a fair number of cities of a mix of nations there. Plus, one of the English cities often has a beautiful daughter. Some of my least favorite cities are in the area of the Yucatan - it takes forever to get back from them, and cities can be really sparse in that area.

Thanks to jlangsdo's editor I am currently working on a map to move more cities into that area.

It is a bit tricky since that area seem to have been indeed sparce in that time so I had to take towns which were founded later.

So far I have established :

- Mérida (founded 1542)
- Tampico (founded 1554)
- Nouvelle-Orléans (founded 1718)
- Biloxi (founded 1699)
- Pensacola (founded 1559)

Any more ideas for towns in the Mexican Gulf. I thought about Corpus Christi since that area is still empty but Corpus Christi was founded 1839 so a bit too new - even for a game which is not 100% accurate. On the other hand it is still better to see Corpus Christi (on the correct sot) than some random settlements which are historically even more inaccurate. I'd say I put it there not as a town but just as a settlement and give it a governor.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:

- Mérida (founded 1542)
- Tampico (founded 1554)
- Biloxi (founded 1699)

So 5 new towns of which one was founded later (+19 years after the last 1680s start) and one much later (+38 years after 1680). Still 5 extra towns which put more life into the Mexican Gulf.

If you look at the map you'll see three other mistakes I deliberately did. Can anyone spot them and knows why I made the mistakes ?
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
jeff204vk wrote:

Thanks to jlangsdo's editor I am currently working on a map to move more cities into that area.

It is a bit tricky since that area seem to have been indeed sparce in that time so I had to take towns which were founded later.

So far I have established :

- Mérida (founded 1542)
- Tampico (founded 1554)
- Biloxi (founded 1699)

Any more ideas for towns in the Mexican Gulf. I thought about Corpus Christi since that area is still empty but Corpus Christi was founded 1839 so a bit too new - even for a game which is not 100% accurate. On the other hand it is still better to see Corpus Christi (on the correct sot) than some random settlements which are historically even more inaccurate. I'd say I put it there not as a town but just as a settlement and give it a governor.

Aaah this is so fantastic! Would love to play with this towns but unfortunetaly, I think there is no way to run the editor on a Mac??

It also would be great to have Belize, Bermuda and Isabella (Columbus' first settlement) on the map.

PS: Unfortunately I have no idea about the mistakes you did deliberately... I think they are depending on the exact position of the cities?
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maturin wrote:
Aaah this is so fantastic! Would love to play with this towns but unfortunetaly, I think there is no way to run the editor on a Mac??

No worry, you don't need a Mac. I can not really amend the game map anyway but I can move and rename towns in save games thanks to jlangsdo's editor. So I'll upload the savegame and you play it basically. (starting on Jan 1st 1660) so it is like you just started a new game. You'll be able to play the game with these towns.

maturin wrote:
It also would be great to have Belize, Bermuda and Isabella (Columbus' first settlement) on the map.?

Funny enough, Bermuda (founded 1612) looks like it is on the map but actually it is out of the game boundairies.

I put it already in my game and this is as far as you get (try to sail to that bit of land and you'll see what I mean):

Its basically in the water and therefore looks odd but it works fine. However I only moved a settlement and not a town to be Bermuda. Do you need it to be a real town ? Note that towns can not be created but can only be moved so for each new town you have to say adios to another.

Belize (founded 1638) was no problem. It came at the cost of Nevis, I put another town there, La Natividad (founded 1524), so Belize is not so alone plus the settlement Triunfo de la Cruz (founded 1524). I think I also put Roatán as an English settlement on the island there.

I'll set Isabella on Hispaniola tomorrow as well then. But it will also be a settlement as I am out of towns. The towns I have removed (Coro, Gibraltar, Nevis, Montserrat, Leogane etc have also been replaced with settlements in my game so you can still visit these.

maturin wrote:
PS: Unfortunately I have no idea about the mistakes you did deliberately... I think they are depending on the exact position of the cities?

Correct, have a look which ones are wrong and then think why Wink
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
maturin wrote:

No worry, you don't need a Mac. I can not really amend the game map anyway but I can move and rename towns in save games thanks to jlangsdo's editor. So I'll upload the savegame and you play it basically. (starting on Jan 1st 1660) so it is like you just started a new game. You'll be able to play the game with these towns.

maturin wrote:
It also would be great to have Belize, Bermuda and Isabella (Columbus' first settlement) on the map.?

Funny enough, Bermuda (founded 1612) looks like it is on the map but actually it is out of the game boundairies.

I put it already in my game and this is as far as you get (try to sail to that bit of land and you'll see what I mean):

Its basically in the water and therefore looks odd but it works fine. However I only moved a settlement and not a town to be Bermuda. Do you need it to be a real town ? Note that towns can not be created but can only be moved so for each new town you have to say adios to another.

Belize (founded 1638) was no problem. It came at the cost of Nevis, I put another town there, La Natividad (founded 1524), so Belize is not so alone plus the settlement Triunfo de la Cruz (founded 1524). I think I also put Roatán as an English settlement on the island there.

I'll set Isabella on Hispaniola tomorrow as well then. But it will also be a settlement as I am out of towns. The towns I have removed (Coro, Gibraltar, Nevis, Montserrat, Leogane etc have also been replaced with settlements in my game so you can still visit these.

maturin wrote:

Correct, have a look which ones are wrong and then think why Wink

Fantastic!! Do you think, this savegame runs on a mac?

And... you moved New Orleans to have it closer to the sea, right? Wink
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
maturin wrote:

Actually try it out. It is not finished yet but still fun to try around.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=EQvNAgSSc

Download that file and overwrite your savegame 2 with it. It should work.

Some of the settlements are still the original and some are missing (from some towns I have removed). In the final version of the savegame all settlements will be on accurate city spots with accurate names so I still take a few more ideas.

Do not think too low about settlements when you hear that name. Some of them are already stocked with more gold, men to hire and a governor so it will actually be worth visiting a settlement as well. Again, the final version of my savegame will address it all.

If you have the time, sail around and see if you find some bugs.

Also you start with a fully upgraded Royal Sloop and a Spanish Rutter. I did that so I can sail easier and see the whole map while I am still testing. In the final version I take those away again Razz

Thanks
The Aberdonian
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
The Aberdonian wrote:
maturin wrote:

Actually try it out. It is not finished yet but still fun to try around.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=EQvNAgSSc

Download that file and overwrite your savegame 2 with it. It should work.

Some of the settlements are still the original and some are missing (from some towns I have removed). In the final version of the savegame all settlements will be on accurate city spots with accurate names so I still take a few more ideas.

Do not think too low about settlements when you hear that name. Some of them are already stocked with more gold, men to hire and a governor so it will actually be worth visiting a settlement as well. Again, the final version of my savegame will address it all.

If you have the time, sail around and see if you find some bugs.

Also you start with a fully upgraded Royal Sloop and a Spanish Rutter. I did that so I can sail easier and see the whole map while I am still testing. In the final version I take those away again Razz

Thanks
The Aberdonian

Great man!!! I will check it out!! Thank you so very much!
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maturin wrote:
Fantastic!! Do you think, this savegame runs on a mac?

I have just posted it so try it out. The savegame should work on both - PC or Mac. Let me know if you come across errors when you load it. You might find bugs in the game (like a town without gold or men to be hired or where ships do not launch properly) but the game itself should start.

maturin wrote:
And... you moved New Orleans to have it closer to the sea, right? Wink

Well done, yes, New Orleans was moved to the coast. It is possible to put it in a more accurate loacation but it is tricky to sail there then. That would be possible but the computer generated ships struggle to get to there and away from there - that is why I moved it to the coast.

I also moved Mérida which is actually 22 miles inland. Not a lot but I just do not like inland towns. The real Villa Hermosa is also an inland town and in the game it is at the coast so why not have Mérida at the coast as well.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same savegames work on both Mac and PC.

My savegame editor works on both Mac and PC now too. If you have a PC, you will have to download perl to make it work; on a Mac perl comes standard.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I play, I'm likely to frequent Curacao. If I allow it to remain Dutch, it usually has high prices and lots of money. I like it as a repair base close to the Main.

It doesn't hurt if St. Pauli Girl lives there.

The only game cities and towns I've been to IRL are St. Augustine, Florida Keys, San Juan, and one of the Bahamas ports.

Of these I probably prefer San Juan for it's surviving Spanish fortifications, and being partial to rum, the Bacardi tour. Lower prices favor the tourist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: