Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Favorite Sword?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite sword?
Cutlass (Solid Defense)
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Longsword (Versatile)
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Rapier (el zippo)
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Jones had the right idea as to the Sword of Choice.

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the other loves of my life. I have been an avid shooter for 48 years and a competitive pistol shooter for 20 years. When I'm home, at my play time I'm watching TV, at the computer, or out in the garage loading ammo and cleaning guns. I feel VERY sorry for you guys in Aussie land, you had your guns taken away a few years ago. And for what? I totally enjoy going to the range and relieving stress the good old fashioned way! Cool
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

He also had the right idea for the Hat of Choice!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Also 'cause there's no way I could beat the main villain of the game (Monty) with the rapier or longsword, cutlass get's a point for this. Every other situation can be dealt with the quick low slashes and the thrusts of the rapier. And this is on an Adventurer -lvl. I'm just not good enough for the harder difficulties.

Have you tried the fencing academy? That's how I learned to fence. It is a series of savegame files that you can download. At various difficulty and equipment levels, you can practice against the captain of the guard, a criminal, and the jealous fiance.

There is also a ballroom dancing school for practicing your dancing. If I'm out of practice, I always use these to brush up on my skills before starting a new game.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also 'cause there's no way I could beat the main villain of the game (Monty) with the rapier or longsword, cutlass get's a point for this. Every other situation can be dealt with the quick low slashes and the thrusts of the rapier. And this is on an Adventurer -lvl. I'm just not good enough for the harder difficulties. Sad[/quote]

Try this: next time you face Monty - hold down the Number 1 key on your numeric keypad. Just leave it pressed down. Odds are, unless you are at Swash level - you will win.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
That is one of the other loves of my life. I have been an avid shooter for 48 years and a competitive pistol shooter for 20 years. When I'm home, at my play time I'm watching TV, at the computer, or out in the garage loading ammo and cleaning guns. I feel VERY sorry for you guys in Aussie land, you had your guns taken away a few years ago. And for what? I totally enjoy going to the range and relieving stress the good old fashioned way! Cool

But that is why I was a reservist.

Bigger Guns - Louder Bombs Twisted Evil

Nothing like firing off a full burst from a GPMG M60

Had to learn how to strip, clean and re-assemble blindfolded.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your service! However, if this were Australia, there would be no Indiana Jones. He would not possess his own sidearm, he would not have that choice. There is a difference between working for the Government and using their equipment and having one's own choice of weapons. That is the point I make. You did great being in the Reserves, don't get me wrong for a second.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Also 'cause there's no way I could beat the main villain of the game (Monty) with the rapier or longsword, cutlass get's a point for this. Every other situation can be dealt with the quick low slashes and the thrusts of the rapier. And this is on an Adventurer -lvl. I'm just not good enough for the harder difficulties. Sad

Try this: next time you face Monty - hold down the Number 1 key on your numeric keypad. Just leave it pressed down. Odds are, unless you are at Swash level - you will win.

I do play on Swash, and I have a method to beating him with a longsword. It may not LOOK pretty, but it gets the job done. Now if only I could beat Olmec so easily...
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty rare for me to beat Monty at Swash level nowadays. I did it 5 years ago but now when I try, I'm just too slow. That's why I play at Rogue Level. So, you are a quick dude! The other drawbacks at Swash level are 1) you are always sailing into the wind - it changes to blow into your face, and 3) it seems everything else is as difficult as possible - locations of items and villians, number of mercenaries at Monty's hideout, speed of all opponents. It just makes it tougher.
The nice thing about Swash level is the split at the end is excellent! You keep much more of the money you capture. I've played at Swash level a few times and did achieve a score of 126 once or twice but I'm more laid back nowadays. I'm more interested in the different "Challenges" now.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
However, if this were Australia, there would be no Indiana Jones. He would not possess his own sidearm, he would not have that choice.

So True... Razz To our Government Razz - they will regret their decision the day we are attacked. ( hope it will not be for a long time though )
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

Do you know the story behind that scene? The script called for Indy to fight the bad guy with his whip, but Ford, who was experiencing diarrhea that day, felt the need to end the take quickly. So he fired his gun, and the actor playing the swordsman played along. The director decided to go with it instead of re-filming the scene as scripted.

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
sparticus wrote:

Do you know the story behind that scene? The script called for Indy to fight the bad guy with his whip, but Ford, who was experiencing diarrhea that day, felt the need to end the take quickly. So he fired his gun, and the actor playing the swordsman played along. The director decided to go with it instead of re-filming the scene as scripted.

Well then he did well to improvize as I really loved that scene - and they worked it in again - though - he had run out of bullets.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

I tested this and it didn't work.

Adventurer -difficulty, character is 21 years old, Skill at Navigation, Fencing Shirt (puffy) -item.
Five times I tested:
#1: First low slash hit after that none.
#2: Same.
#3: First hit and after a couple of dodges and hits by Monty another hit then nothing.
#4: No hits.
#5: This was the best round; first slash missed but after that four hits but Monty got hits through in between. So no success.

Maybe need more fencing items to use that tactic..

As a child I loved Indiana Jones -movies. Also "The Fate of Atlantis" adventure game by LucasArts is one of my favourites. But when I last time watched "The Last Crusade", it seemed questionable when Indy tackled that old man with the white hat on that ship at the start of the film. He has very radical idealogy about that "It belongs to the museum" -thing so in practice he murders a private collector. It's funny just how to see things different way when has gained some age..
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

I tested this and it didn't work.

Adventurer -difficulty, character is 21 years old, Skill at Navigation, Fencing Shirt (puffy) -item.
Five times I tested:
#1: First low slash hit after that none.
#2: Same.
#3: First hit and after a couple of dodges and hits by Monty another hit then nothing.
#4: No hits.
#5: This was the best round; first slash missed but after that four hits but Monty got hits through in between. So no success.

Maybe need more fencing items to use that tactic..

As a child I loved Indiana Jones -movies. Also "The Fate of Atlantis" adventure game by LucasArts is one of my favourites. But when I last time watched "The Last Crusade", it seemed questionable when Indy tackled that old man with the white hat on that ship at the start of the film. He has very radical idealogy about that "It belongs to the museum" -thing so in practice he murders a private collector. It's funny just how to see things different way when has gained some age..

Get some upgrades and try it again. It works 75 percent at least. This is what Rupert used to recommend.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: