Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Towns where you have been IRL
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Towns where you have been IRL Reply with quote

I just posted details of my trip in Venezuela and Colombia in a different topic, tomorrow or so I'll post some pictures of Cuba where I have been as well. Saturday I'll go on holidays for two weeks and visit Martinique and Guadeloupe.

This will then be the list of towns I have then vivited IRL :

Cartagena
Santa Marta
Rio de la Hacha
Maracaibo
Coro
Puerto Cabello
Caracas
Cumana
Margarita
Havana
Puerto Principe
Santiago
Martinique
Guadeloupe

(Gibraltar was not found)

Anyone been to the Mexican towns or to the other island ? Anyrecommendations ?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place I've visited in the Caribbean is Jamestown on the island of Barbados. I'd love to visit more places there, but I abhor the long flights from Europe...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly - been to none Whilst awake.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Fort Lauderdale once- that's as close to St. Augustine as I've ever been...

Because I didn't know the Fahrenheit temperature scale, only Celsius, I thought I was awesomely surviving 90 degree weather- close to the boiling point of water!

I was only six years old at the time, though, mates, so forgive a little childish folly...

Laughing
Henrik
Powder Monkey

405 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to the islands 'o Curaçao and Aruba many years ago, even set foot on the Americas but only the most Southern parts (Miami)...

Live in Holland by the way.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik wrote:
Been to the islands 'o Curaçao and Aruba many years ago, even set foot on the Americas but only the most Southern parts (Miami)...

Live in Holland by the way.

Awesome...
Henrik
Powder Monkey

405 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

Awesome...

Well i've never flown so much in me life...but to actually walk 'n swimm where it took place gives a certain chill or rather thrill i must admit!

Sailor
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Towns where you have been IRL Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
I just posted details of my trip in Venezuela and Colombia in a different topic, tomorrow or so I'll post some pictures of Cuba where I have been as well. Saturday I'll go on holidays for two weeks and visit Martinique and Guadeloupe.

This will then be the list of towns I have then vivited IRL :

Cartagena
Santa Marta
Rio de la Hacha
Maracaibo
Coro
Puerto Cabello
Caracas
Cumana
Margarita
Havana
Puerto Principe
Santiago
Martinique
Guadeloupe

(Gibraltar was not found)

Anyone been to the Mexican towns or to the other island ? Anyrecommendations ?

... adding Barbados to that list now. Greetings from a sunny spot, great weather here. Found a few cannons as well. There is a Fort to be visited with more cannons. Even if the fort dates back to the pirate era it is still official army area so I do not know if I am allowed to take pictures there.

Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to St Augustine often since mom's side of the family are mostly Floridians. Her grandparents (my great-grandparents aka "Nanny" and "Papa") lived in Florida since (who knows). They lived in the same house since the 1940's! Every summer, we made a road trip down to their house. Since dad was in the Marines, the starting point may vary. We almost always stopped at a roadside vendor along the way for (FRESH- not canned) boiled peanuts. I always cherish my memories of Nanny and Papa and miss them dearly. I strongly believe that family is most important in life. Evrything else- just luxuries.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
I strongly believe that family is most important in life. Evrything else- just luxuries.

Still, it's nice when your family members hand you pieces of lost city maps after you rescue them!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:
I strongly believe that family is most important in life. Evrything else- just luxuries.

Still, it's nice when your family members hand you pieces of lost city maps after you rescue them!

mm - Never had to rescue a real family member - lucky really Smile
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was to St. Augustine in '65. I remember the oldest home( I believe it had a sundial in the back yard, the first I'd ever seen. ), the oldest school ( it had a dunce cap ), and some walls, canons, and trees with Spanish moss.

I've been to Key west a couple of times, first by car, and then by cruise ship. Besides the bars and Hemingway's house they have a shipwreck museum. My favorite thing there was a biplane tour. Those things can corner like a bus because they have a very low stalling speed.

I've been to Nassau a number of times, simply because it's the first stop for the cruise ships out of Port Canaveral.

I've to been several of the British and US Virgin islands, the coolest thing to see was Dead Chest island. Sailor Well, If I were marooned there I'd swim for it while I still had my strength.

I finally made it to San Juan, Puerto Rico the winter before last, someplace I'd wanted to go ever since I saw it on the Captain Kangaroo show in the 60s. The fortress is awesome, and being a rum drinker, so was the Baccardi tour.

I went to the Cayman islands, which are basically someplace to run aground in this game. I did find a ring which mounted a a half-real ( a Spanish coin something like a dime)from a 1700s shipwreck as a signet, and the price was more affordable than what they wanted in Key West, so my wife bought it for me.

On the same trip as the Caymans we went to Cozumel, Mexico. It's still in the Carribbean, near the Yucatan Channel. It has some Mayan temples near the beach. We went to a park, sort of like Sea World's Discovery cove. I swam with sea loins, and I swam with Manatees. Sea lions are clever. Manatees are gentle.

I'd say it all comes under the heading of "A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" . To be fair, I'm more of a mountains than beach guy, and that island Richard Branson owns must be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I'd like to see the lesser Antilles, I understand some of the mountainous islands are also very beautiful.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I was to St. Augustine in '65. I remember the oldest home( I believe it had a sundial in the back yard, the first I'd ever seen. ), the oldest school ( it had a dunce cap ), and some walls, canons, and trees with Spanish moss.

I've been to Key west a couple of times, first by car, and then by cruise ship. Besides the bars and Hemingway's house they have a shipwreck museum. My favorite thing there was a biplane tour. Those things can corner like a bus because they have a very low stalling speed.

I've been to Nassau a number of times, simply because it's the first stop for the cruise ships out of Port Canaveral.

I've to been several of the British and US Virgin islands, the coolest thing to see was Dead Chest island. Sailor Well, If I were marooned there I'd swim for it while I still had my strength.

I finally made it to San Juan, Puerto Rico the winter before last, someplace I'd wanted to go ever since I saw it on the Captain Kangaroo show in the 60s. The fortress is awesome, and being a rum drinker, so was the Baccardi tour.

I went to the Cayman islands, which are basically someplace to run aground in this game. I did find a ring which mounted a a half-real ( a Spanish coin something like a dime)from a 1700s shipwreck as a signet, and the price was more affordable than what they wanted in Key West, so my wife bought it for me.

On the same trip as the Caymans we went to Cozumel, Mexico. It's still in the Carribbean, near the Yucatan Channel. It has some Mayan temples near the beach. We went to a park, sort of like Sea World's Discovery cove. I swam with sea loins, and I swam with Manatees. Sea lions are clever. Manatees are gentle.

I'd say it all comes under the heading of "A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" . To be fair, I'm more of a mountains than beach guy, and that island Richard Branson owns must be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. I'd like to see the lesser Antilles, I understand some of the mountainous islands are also very beautiful.

A lot of travelling - very awesome !!!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now live in a northern state and the winter's gloom motivates me to go someplace to see the sun again, if only for a long weekend. All of that is in the last 10 years, except for St. Augustine.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I now live in a northern state and the winter's gloom motivates me to go someplace to see the sun again, if only for a long weekend. All of that is in the last 10 years, except for St. Augustine.

Not a bad motivation.

I live on the Coast - so nice - I hardly travel...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: