Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

reduce sail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: reduce sail Reply with quote

There is an option on both the battle screen and the big map to reduce sail or whatever its called. Does anyone actually ever use it? I suppose it might be useful on the battle map just before the enemy fires chain shot, but I always forget about this option and only use it if I happen to hit the wrong key by mistake.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the manual:

Reefed sails: A ship with reefed sails has lowered some of her sails to protect them from enemy cannon fire, particularly from broadsides of chain shot. In addition, ships with reefed sails have a tighter turning radius than ships with full sails. However, ships carrying reefed sails move significantly slower than do ships under full sails.

As I recall, some aficionados of the ship of the line follow a precise pattern of reefing and raising sails in maneuvering their vessels to deliver broadsides from downwind while avoiding enemy broadsides. I went through a phase where I used a variation of this (back when I actually used my cannons), but these days I usually just try to close and board as quickly as possible.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: reduce sail Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
There is an option on both the battle screen and the big map to reduce sail or whatever its called. Does anyone actually ever use it? I suppose it might be useful on the battle map just before the enemy fires chain shot, but I always forget about this option and only use it if I happen to hit the wrong key by mistake.

I use it it battle - reduce sail - them turn - the ship turns quicker.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to lower sails, especially if wind is low and the boats are where I want them... Less risk that way.
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any sense of reefed sails in the navigation mode? To avoid damage caused by a passing pirate or pirate hunter for example?
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some aficionados of the ship of the line follow a precise pattern of reefing and raising sails in maneuvering their vessels to deliver broadsides from downwind while avoiding enemy broadsides.

That's exactly what I do. It's the best way to use the Ship of the Line's speed and firepower, while minimizing the fact that it makes a big target.

It's good practice for any ship, actually, when you need to develop the skills you need for a lengthy ship battle. You can save your crew from wastage in a boarding battle by adroitly dismasting the foe at sea, without loss. My crew's greatest value to me is their ability to sack cities.

For example, I have used War Canoes to chip away at Galleons. I let then chase me. Then I turn, reef sails, and fire. Then I speed up again just out of range. Eventually, the enemy ship surrenders and I lose not a crewman...

When using a Ship of the Line, one broadside is usually enough...
Wink

Lastly, you sustain less sail damage when you reef your sails- from storms on the navigation map, or from enemy action in combat mode.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
Quote:
some aficionados of the ship of the line follow a precise pattern of reefing and raising sails in maneuvering their vessels to deliver broadsides from downwind while avoiding enemy broadsides.

That's exactly what I do. It's the best way to use the Ship of the Line's speed and firepower, while minimizing the fact that it makes a big target.

It's good practice for any ship, actually, when you need to develop the skills you need for a lengthy ship battle. You can save your crew from wastage in a boarding battle by adroitly dismasting the foe at sea, without loss. My crew's greatest value to me is their ability to sack cities.

For example, I have used War Canoes to chip away at Galleons. I let then chase me. Then I turn, reef sails, and fire. Then I speed up again just out of range. Eventually, the enemy ship surrenders and I lose not a crewman...

When using a Ship of the Line, one broadside is usually enough...
Wink

Lastly, you sustain less sail damage when you reef your sails- from storms on the navigation map, or from enemy action in combat mode.

Useful information. I didn't know that much about it, although I do use reefed sails that way when using a SotL or Large Frigate.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reefing the sails is most helpful when you're facing into the wind and need to get turned around quickly, since they substantially improve maneuverability into the wind. Other than that, I rarely do it. I certainly don't use it to reduce damage to my sails. I prefer to make sure I never get hit in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: