Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Port Royale 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Port Royale 3 Reply with quote

This game was released today. Does anyone play it and can recommend it ? It does not look too bad but it seems to focus far more on economy/trading than fighting however it says that merchant and adventurer are both career options. Seafights seems to be possible with convoys and the screenshots also look quite promising as a new pirate game in the Caribbean.

http://www.port-royale3.com/us/

Looking at the screenshots they seem to have gotten the town nationalities wrong. Either that or the screens are taken after a while playing. It says you can conquer towns as well.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Preview for this game excited me. I haven't played it, but the few reviews I have read have been pretty unfavorable. Seems to be trading oriented with little focus or execution when it comes to action. I know the Port Royale games are meant to be trading focused but the preview vid made it seem pretty action-heavy as well.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Port Royale 2 a couple times. I couldnt really get into it. I think if I found a PR2 site like Hooked on Pirates, then maybe could have read enough to get over the learning curve... Not sure I could get into PR3 based on those failed attempts.
Maybe in 15 years when my baby is off to college. Wink

Apparently I am less patient in my old age.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
I played Port Royale 2 a couple times. I couldnt really get into it. I think if I found a PR2 site like Hooked on Pirates, then maybe could have read enough to get over the learning curve... Not sure I could get into PR3 based on those failed attempts.
Maybe in 15 years when my baby is off to college. Wink

Apparently I am less patient in my old age.

I hear ya.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
Mad Jack of the Red
Swabbie

2137 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3 was designed by a group of EVIL people tried to to combine too much"Monopoly" with not enough sea fights. myeh I found my copy (New, still in the plastic) at a used book store. That should have been my first clue.
Wink
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are there any other decent Pirate games out there? I have not heard of anyone saying there it.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was researching Raven's Cry again, but it seems that it was released before it was ready, as in glorious graphics, but missing interface, tutorials, glitchy gameplay, etc. It's rated around 3something out of 10.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Assassin's Creed black flag (and I have never played so could be totally off base) a pirate themed game?

If so, how would it compare to Pirates?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
Is Assassin's Creed black flag (and I have never played so could be totally off base) a pirate themed game?

If so, how would it compare to Pirates?

Aye, it is a Pirate themed game! The map is smaller than SMP, but it's very fun nonetheless. After a bit the world becomes free roam and I always said if they had AC4's gameplay/sailing and boarding with SMP's map size and ship types/movements it'd be a PERFECT game. As a pirate game AC4 is great, and on a scale of 1/10 I give SMP a 10, and AC4 a 8.5/10
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't it be called "Spree Killer's Creed?"

Any video which I've seen of it makes it look like the game is more about single-handedly cutting a swath through the bodies of your enemies, rather than sneaking close to murder a particular important person. Razz
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Shouldn't it be called "Spree Killer's Creed?"

Any video which I've seen of it makes it look like the game is more about single-handedly cutting a swath through the bodies of your enemies, rather than sneaking close to murder a particular important person. Razz

Unfortunately, that's what it's turned into, but I don't play that way. I fell in love with the game for it's "Assassin" missions of stealth, and that's how I play still. But yes, should you choose you can take on the entire British Navy (especially late-game) and just cut a swath through them to your goal. Maybe the next few games will return to the roots...
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Port Royale 3 Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:

Looking at the screenshots they seem to have gotten the town nationalities wrong. Either that or the screens are taken after a while playing. It says you can conquer towns as well.

Port Royale 3 must take after Port Royale 2, and prefers "zones of control" over historical ownership. Yes, this series is heavily trade based, so zones of control give a huge lump section of the Caribbean to each nationality, so you can have a "safe zone" to trade in, so long as you're on friendly terms with the select nation(s)!!

Personally I don't mind that, even when it's not historically accurate.
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the ships on the Caribbean map supposed to have that "sketchy" texture to them? Other than that, Port Royale 3, where have you BEEN my whole life!!?? Loving
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalypso's official forums want a ridiculous amount of personal information before they let you post these days. So I'm going to ask here, does PR3 gold have the last patch or was it released after PR3 gold came out? Some gaming companies rush the gold version on the market to make an extra buck but before the last patch comes out. I don't want to get too deep into my current PR3 game without asking this first. Thanks in advance.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Royale 3 – Gold Edition
Release date: 30th August 2013
https://www.kalypsomedia.com/eu/port-royale-3-gold-edition

https://steamcommunity.com/app/205610/discussions/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/205610/discussions/0/1842367319521293390/

13 Dec, 2016

I assume this is the latest update, as i can't find any specific date when it was put out on their latest news. correct me if i'm wrong.
-
The update 1.3 is now available and can be downloaded via Kalypso Launcher and Steam.

Changelog:
• F5 can now be used for quick save anytime
• Alt-Key will show all trading routes. Single routes can be selected by clicking
• Increased maximum amount of ammunition for convoys
• Several minor bugfixes
• Several balancing adjustments
• Introduced game speed x0.1 for multiplayer modes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: