Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Sid Meier's Pirates coming to Android-new social features?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Sid Meier's Pirates coming to Android-new social features? Reply with quote

I see lots of buzz about a Pirates (and Civ) app coming to andriod, based on a release yesterday at E3.

Also, this should finish up the various platforms.
pc, mac, xbox, wii, apple, android. (except a ps3 version)

Could that finally clear any low hanging fruit that has been trumping a PC remake? Also, note the social features? Multiplayer?

edit to add recap from one site:

Pirates and Civilization social games to be released on social gaming markets

GREE and 2K have announced a partnership that will see Sid Meier's classic games Pirates! and Civilization released as social titles on select global markets.

GREE is one of the world's leading social games companies, and the deal with 2K gives it access to some of gaming's most respected licences.

The two companies will work closely together to introduce social features to the games.

“Creating social mobile games based on the Sid Meier’s Pirates! and Sid Meier’s Civilization franchises are our way to connect with Japanese fans in a fun and innovative way,” said Fabien Siouffi, Vice President Online and Social at Take-Two Asia.

The magnitude of porting two of the most beloved franchises in gaming to smartphones is not lost on those at 2K.

"Sid Meier’s Civilization and Sid Meier’s Pirates! have been beloved franchises for decades, and Civilization has been recognized as one of the greatest strategy franchises of all time with nearly 11 million units sold-in worldwide,” said 2K president Christoph Hartmann.

“Recreating these timeless classics on GREE’s fast-growing platform is a fantastic opportunity for us to bring deep, rich gaming experiences to a new audience.”
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the news Davy. But what do they mean by turning it into a "social game"? Like those stupid farmville-type facebook games...?

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
Thanks for the news Davy. But what do they mean by turning it into a "social game"? Like those stupid farmville-type facebook games...?

Just My Opinion and only 1 extra word added - but those stupid farmville-type facebook games SUX

End of Opinon...
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hopes that it is more multiplayer than something hokey. But, unless it is true multiplayer (i.e. two different pirates attacking the seas and each other), I cannot fathom how to make it social.

Do you simply become a governor and send out privateers? They do the work, and you just keep track of wins/losses?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
I have hopes that it is more multiplayer than something hokey. But, unless it is true multiplayer (i.e. two different pirates attacking the seas and each other), I cannot fathom how to make it social.

Do you simply become a governor and send out privateers? They do the work, and you just keep track of wins/losses?

Perhaps like - Buccaneer The Pursuit of Infamy - Available from Steam - I play'd this a bit, was awesome - however - if you do not have the time to build up your Character - you soon get hammered by 14yr olds - and get over it real quick. - Play ability was good though.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
davyjones wrote:

Perhaps like - Buccaneer The Pursuit of Infamy - Available from Steam - I play'd this a bit, was awesome - however - if you do not have the time to build up your Character - you soon get hammered by 14yr olds - and get over it real quick. - Play ability was good though.

To me, this is the part of on-line multiplayer I have always hated. If you can create private groups to play against friends at the same level, great...

Anyway, I am just stoked that it could be on my kindle, where I can play an hour here or there, instead of having to schedule a block to play on my pc at home.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
sparticus wrote:
davyjones wrote:

To me, this is the part of on-line multiplayer I have always hated. If you can create private groups to play against friends at the same level, great...

Anyway, I am just stoked that it could be on my kindle, where I can play an hour here or there, instead of having to schedule a block to play on my pc at home.

Yes - there needs to be a way to group like abilities together.

I have played Quake Live - and have the same issue - unless you live and breath the game - you soon get hammered...
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this bolded text while looking for updates. I missed this earlier.

2K partnership brings strategy classics Civilization and Pirates! to GREE
Comment Kathleen De Vere•Jun 5th, 2012

Games, GREE, social-mobile networks

2K Games has signed a new partnership with GREE that will turn its classic strategy titles Sid Meier’s Civilization and Sid Meier’s Pirates! into free-to-play social games on GREE’s new global gaming platform.

The partnership will see GREE work closely with 2K integrate social features into the games, which will be developed by 2K’s Chinese studio. According to GREE’s press release, Sid Meier’s Pirates! will become Pirates! Legends, a social battle and questing game that will pit players against one another as they seek to become the most notorious pirate in the world. The GREE version of Sid Meier’s Civilization is tentatively titled Civilization, and will challenge players to create an empire that will stand the test of time.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they ever come up with a Sid's Pirates! for Android?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:

Some talk about it here - but looks like not yet.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/12/12/mobile-watch-sid-meiers-pirates/
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTT

I havent found anything in searching for updates on this. Has anyone seen anything about an andrioid port?

It would be a beautiful time waster to have it, that is for sure.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont believe so. I do searches every month or so looking for nuggets of info...
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question, different spammer.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love SMP for android. I would love a straight sequel even more though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: