Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

East Indies Mod (and contest)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: East Indies Mod (and contest) Reply with quote

OK folks, here it is.

After months of work and research, the great East Indies Mod is ready:

EDIT: Replaced broken links
themodelcitizen's updated version
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gbw23rzru8sbmfl/East_Indies_2020.rar/file

(Note, this is an updated location as of 2020)

Pirates Executable for Jlangsdo's East Indies mod .zip

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-yG2UhMxjl4-558pGYn-rXwPl8WiMD7d/view?usp=sharing

This mod changes the entire map to the East Indies... from India to Timor. The French have been replaced by the Portuguese (both text and flags) sugar is now pepper.

It's actually a mod plus a patch - the patch (using smp_patch.pl) to the executable changes some of the text that is only there, and also fixes the starting nations of the different cities. This lets you see the Portuguese dominance at 1600 melt away as the Dutch muscle in.

To make things a little more exciting, I propose a contest:

1000 pieces of gold to the first one to get to 126 points in the East Indies.

Rules:
1. The winning game shall not be started until Friday 2/15/13. This gives you a week to get it downloaded and working.
2. You must apply both the patch and the mod; if you don't change the city nationalities so the place is crawling with Portuguese or Dutch, that would be no fun.
3. No huge cheating. If you lose a battle and want to reload, that's OK, but you may not reenter a mission 5 times to change where Raymondo spawns, or use a savegame editor to give yourself honors and gold.
4. Any version of the mod will count

You may see an occasional crashes (the screen freezes and pirate noises continue, usually at a scene change) I think this is due to imperfections in the map, not due to the patch... or it may just be that my disk is scratched. Finding Raymondo and Montalban is significantly easier, because the Spanish are mainly in the Philippines. I have no idea where the lost cities or Montalban's hideout will spawn... though I have tested that pirate treasures and lost relatives do work. In an early version I saw a case where a named pirate was caught in lake, and thus inaccessible, but I don't think that can happen on the present map.

The one thing I haven't changed that I want to change it the actual attributes of the cities; they say that they are sources of spices or pepper, but it's just however it was left over from the Caribbean. If I figure that out in the future I will upload a new version. I'd also like to make the Indians have lots of spice to trade, which would be realistic.

As always, if you have problems (particularly with the patch), let me know and I'll help. The patch may need to be adjusted for non-Mac users.

I did my best to keep everything historically accurate. The settlement dates and nationalities are all based on wikipedia research. The Portuguese flag is accurate for the 17th century. (The familiar green and red didn't come until after the revolution in the 20ths century.) For background, I also read "Nathaniel's Nutmeg", about the bloody conflict between the Dutch and English over the Banda Islands. After that I made sure to get Amboyna, Neira, and Sukadana on the map.

Last edited by jlangsdo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like several people have downloaded the mod... good luck to all!

I'm half way to 126 myself now... just got the location of Montalban's hideout. I've been pleasantly surprised at how hard the treasuremaps are.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome man. I need to dig up my PC version somewhere to try this out!

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, CAPTAINcredible !

I'm planning on releasing a small update today.

I'm shifting several of the cities that weren't quite on the coast correctly, and will probably stretch the maps a little bit to get better correspondence as well as moving some of the maplabels around to avoid conflicts. Also, I fixed what your fiance says... she's got to be the happiest woman in the Eastern Hemisphere now!

Also, I believe that the zip file I uploaded doesn't include East_Indies.patch... which means that half of the text edits, the city nationalities, and the city starting times couldn't be patched in. Oops. No one complained. I'll include it in this release for sure.

I have made it to 126 myself (the contest remains open, of course) Lost temples were spread across the entire map, from Surat to Australia.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new version is uploaded and I changed the link above.

The contents.txt file mentions that it is version 1.1.

This version also adds butler_map.dds, so when you talk to your first governor, and he shows you where the nearest enemy city is on the map the butler is holding, the map is for the proper hemisphere.

Enjoy!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update - and for all your work on this! I don't know when I'll have time for my next game of Pirates - maybe not till summer - but when I get around to it I plan to try out your mod.
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been checking out alot of your mods jlangsdo, and this one especially really breaches impossible to possible. Great work and I'll certainly have to give this a try one day. Sailor
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Rupert would log in, like the old days. So many times he posted, "You can't mod the map".

I would appreciate it if someone would try using the patch script and let me know that it works - and particularly, document what the path to the executable looks like for the -smp switch has to be to make it work on a PC.

This forum has gotten so quiet that I might stop checking it so often... I'd like to make sure this mod will work for someone who tries it years from now.
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no don`t lay off. Your mods are awesome. Truly insane when you see that there haven`t been any real game changing mods (except for the PH trainer) on this forumn since it started and now you can make a whole new game.

I`ve just got to work out how to do the perl thing then I`m going to set up another whole East Indies game to go along side the West Indies one so hopefully I could boot up each one at will. Hopefully when I work out that I could do some patches of my own. As I said I`m a real newb.
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just threw all the files into the customs folder. Into the assets as well as I didn`t want to miss anything. Booted up and there you go....a whole new world. Boats spawning, missions. Awesome! Haven`t loaded the script yet but it even works without it. Will try out the script this week. Many thanks
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo. Just a little help if you could. Think I`m nearly there

I load the script into terminal -< path to smp executable> -patch<path to east indies patch>

so... smp_patch.pl-smp<path>-patch<path>

I get this
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

Thanks once again. was just playing and it`s great. So much work. I really appreciate it. It has it`s own feel to it. You`d like feedback wouldn`t you?

I was just chasing the Baron near modern Malaysia and Singapore I think, and he disappeared through a peninsula on the way somewhere. Will check if he`s still around. I doubt the spawn disappeared. Understandable with all those tricky coastlines.
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep replying to my own post but is anyone playing this? It is really quiet around here

You really got to CHECK THIS OUT if you love pirates. Make that MUST. I`ve just defeated Monty on the Malaysian peninsula and off to Borneo to get the Baron to tell me where my uncle is. The geography is great. Maybe I prefer it to the original. Everything runs pretty much near perfect. Just a few crashes, got one Connery who I can`t find at his tavern and really lost the Baron once but a close lost treasure map filled in the gaps.

Once again thanks jlangsdo. I`ve had a lot of fun on it. Revolutionary. Makes me wonder what Firaxis are doing.

What`s next? The ancient Mediterranean and triremes?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcigar wrote:
What`s next? The ancient Mediterranean and triremes?

That would be interesting - but a much bigger challenge. I recently listened to a recording of Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy by John R. Hale. That was certainly a fascinating period.

I'm currently listening to historical fiction about Kublai Khan (whose best-known nautical exploits, unfortunately, were notorious failures).
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo just FYI I got the script to work but it couldn`t find the bytes. I have the newer downloaded version no CD. I tried the script on an older version I actually still have on an external drive and could get most of it write. Unfortunately the CD for this one is long since lost during a house move.

And Roland looks like a good book/ebook. I`m near the end of Colleen McCullough`s Masters of Rome series atm.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dogcigar! I'm glad you had a chance to try it out! Thanks for the advertisement!

Did it find none of the bytes, or just fail out after failing to find a particular chunk of bytes?

When I run, it looks like this:

./smp_patch.pl -patch East_Indies.patch -clear -multi
Read 12799404 bytes from "Sid Meier's Pirates!.orig"
Reading East_Indies.patch
Scanning for section of length 1408 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 60 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 30 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 116 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 40 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 17 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 25 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 16 ... Found
Scanning for section of length 40 ... Found
Wrote to "Sid Meier's Pirates!"

Is your executable file of similar size?

The East_Indies.patch file is a simple text file, broken into sections with OLD: and NEW: headers. The first one is the one that sets the city nationalities, the rest are all about text (mainly French to Portuguese).

You can split up the file into separate files and see if any of the chunks fit.

If some are found and others are not, you could comment out the bad chunks... and perhaps we could collaborate to come up with a separate patch file for PC. If none of them fit, then the debug is going to be harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: