Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Help! We're being besieged by spammers
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job guys! What is going on? I'm being hit by malware twice a day and the number of tracking cookies out there has doubled in the past couple of weeks!

Also, Internet Explorer keeps hanging up and Firefox won't run at all any more. Sounds like bad mods from Microsoft!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Great job guys! What is going on? I'm being hit by malware twice a day and the number of tracking cookies out there has doubled in the past couple of weeks!

Also, Internet Explorer keeps hanging up and Firefox won't run at all any more. Sounds like bad mods from Microsoft!

Salty,
What versions of Windows, Internet Explorer, and Firefox are you running?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the latest version of Windows 7. I have it update automatically. Same for Internet Explorer, it is Version 11.0.9600.18314, update 11.0.31. As for Firefox, I don't know because the program hangs when I start it - it says "Connecting" and just sits there. Not good!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I am running the latest version of Windows 7. I have it update automatically. Same for Internet Explorer, it is Version 11.0.9600.18314, update 11.0.31. As for Firefox, I don't know because the program hangs when I start it - it says "Connecting" and just sits there. Not good!

I have the same version of Windows and Internet Explorer as you. You might want to use Internet Explorer to download the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.
Next thing to look at is making sure your antivirus is updated, and install an ad blocker on the browsers.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past couple of days I've noticed several posts from new members (joined and made two posts on the same day). The posts are VERY generic and don't have anything to do with the topics in which they are posted. I've been deleting them.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like stopping spammers is like stopping your woman from spending your money. You can hide it a day or two but they'll figure something out to get back into the game
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Over the past couple of days I've noticed several posts from new members (joined and made two posts on the same day). The posts are VERY generic and don't have anything to do with the topics in which they are posted. I've been deleting them.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but if you think that they are spam I will trust your judgment (and start deleting them myself).

Pirate wrote:
Sounds like stopping spammers is like stopping your woman from spending your money. You can hide it a day or two but they'll figure something out to get back into the game

LOL. Nice one.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for driving them off!!! Wink
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Thanks so much for driving them off!!! Wink

Make them walk the plank...
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to log in using Google Chrome a few minutes ago, I got a warning message about the site not being secure.
I did not get a similar warning when I logged on using Internet Explorer or Firefox. Rolling Eyes
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
When I tried to log in using Google Chrome a few minutes ago, I got a warning message about the site not being secure.
I did not get a similar warning when I logged on using Internet Explorer or Firefox. Rolling Eyes

I use Firefox & Chrome - and got / get no warnings.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the message today when I logged in using Google Chrome.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message is a new Chrome feature. If there is no SSL certificate (the site URL would start with https) present on the server, Chrome will warn users.

It's an excellent feature to force any website where there is private data or payment data that could be abused. Unfortunately Google does not differentiate between a site like that and ourselves where the only thing that matters is your e-mail address.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
The message is a new Chrome feature. If there is no SSL certificate (the site URL would start with https) present on the server, Chrome will warn users.

It's an excellent feature to force any website where there is private data or payment data that could be abused. Unfortunately Google does not differentiate between a site like that and ourselves where the only thing that matters is your e-mail address.

Good to know. Smile

Also - HOP still loads quite nicely - no errors using Netscape Navigator Version 9 from 2008 - just dug it up from an old backup Smile

Though I might not want to use it whilst banking Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: