Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marichmo
Powder Monkey

803 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons Reply with quote

Just wanted to start a topic on this fantastic game. This old SNES game rivals the original Pirates! on my list of all-time great games.

To those who never had the pleasure of playing this game it's similar in concept to Pirates! but on a much more vast and grand scale. It was basically pirates on a global scale - the entire 15-17 century world was yours to explore, trade and conquer as you pleased (provided you built up a big enough fleet first). You could be a cartographer trying to find the Northwest passage, explore (and plunder!) the new world, build a merchant fleet and make trade runs between china and europe, fight another European power in massive naval battles, and of course be a carribean pirate. Docking in towns allowed a pretty neat roleplaying element as well (similar to final fantasy type rpgs in many ways). You could get special items and hire officers for bonus perks. There were dozens of ships to choose from, British Sloops, Turkish Xebecs, Chinese Junks, etc. and they all traveled in real time with their own individual agenda (if you got plundered, you could actually run into the same pirate again on the other side of the world years later and seek vengeance for your loss!) Combat and dueling were turn based, allowing you to have huge fleet battles. It was an open-ended game the likes of which I have rarely seen in a game since, and the whole game was barely one megabyte! If any of you Firaxis guys are reading this, I strongly recommend looking to this game to get ideas for a future expansion/sequel!
Butcher
Swabbie

335 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting it now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting game indeed. Vaguely remember hearing of it (well, Uncharted Waters anyway), but never played it before. If it wasn't for the impending release of the new Pirates (still have three days to go in Australia), I'd search it out and give it a try.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...Double post. Oops

AKA. Will Scarlett.

Last edited by KingWilly on Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why play SNES version when you can play the PC version which support mouse, though much more fun playing with keyboard. It is far better than pirates in terms of storyline with some rpg element. Your main character have stats and level, the same apply for your other navigators you hire to pilot your other ship. Your free navigator act as advisor. You can have equipment which can help in sword battle. Ship battle is tactical top-down. Your ships can have ornament like dragon head which helps protect the ship from storms.
In part 2, you can play 6 different characters. Each have a different style of play. Chinese version have until part 6, which include ferrying passengers as well. Didn't get a chance to play it because fo the language barrier.
Kiffer
Swabbie

62 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this game! Played it dozens of times. Now it's place has been taken by Pirates! Hahah. It's kinda like Pirates, except much more trade and discovery oriented, involving the whole world, and you can build ships instead of having to attack someone to get what you want - the ones you get from others re not so desirble, as the durability have probably gone really low in battles, or so on. There's news that KOEI will be coming out with an MMORPG version soon... but the US version will be out only next year.
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played this game for years. Excellent choice. It really is pretty cool if you dont mind turn based combat at sea and swordfighting. I like building my own ships and the plunder from taking other vessels is much more diverse. Lots of exotic goods from distant ports keeps you sailing to the new world or the far east.
Carlos Lezama
Swabbie

464 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncharted Waters 2 was a cool game. My perfect pirate game would be a mix of it with Pirates!

Good points:

- A World Map, instead of being limited to the caribbean.
- Various characters to play, with their own different history.
- Customization of the ship.
- Good diversity of trading goods.
- Blackjack!
- You had to recruit Fist Mates and other ships officials to help you, and build up their loyalty!
- Experience for your characters!

Bad Points:

- Too lineal. The storylines where too unflexible.
- Not being able to create your own, unique character, with his own history and game objectives.

Neutral Points:

- The Turn Based ship combat. It was interesting
- The "Card" fencing system. Just an improved "Paper-Stone-Scissors". Funny anyway.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Uncharted Waters Reply with quote

I really love this game. I've been playing it for more than ten years now, the first release for NES. I still have a copy of this first one, which I still play regularly. The accuracy for currents and wind speed is commendable. The map of the world on which its played is HUGE! Imagine sailing over the pole to Zipangu!

UCW2 New Horizons, I've played since its release. I bought a Superninetendo just to play it. In fact I'm in the middle of yet another run with it. I have Joao waiting for word about the Ottoman invasion of Massawa. He's sitting on four fully-rigged ships waiting to recruit and go to war. Until then, he's looking for lost artifacts and unknown sights and creatures, with a reale, Rocco and the boyz. He's got the armor, he's got the sword and he's got this red-headed pirate on his tail!

I think I'll be the Ottoman merchant, next. Athens to Istanbul, art for carpet. We'll make millions.

Yo ho ho, KOEI Rulez ... Did you know Sid Meiers did a game with KOEI?
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the Istanbul - Athens art run, that is a great run. If I remember correctly, there is a rather lucrative run between Nagasaki and one of the Asian mainland citys with silver, can't remember exactly though. I have to admit, I actually still play it. I have it for an old SNES imulation program I keep on my laptop for business trips Wink Truth be told I have the first one as well, but UW:2 had so much more freedom, though to this day I still cant stand playing the Italian adventurer. Its something about many of the Koei game titles from that era. Between Uncharted Waters, the PTO series and Airobiz, flight lay overs arent usually an issue. Besides, if all else fails, laptop battery included, I bust out Final Fantasy Tatics for GBA and try not to look like a shmuck Oops

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
DonK
Powder Monkey

2 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New horizons (as I knew the game) was fantastic.

Is it possible to get a NEW snes and a NEW copy of this game anywhere, or is ebay my only hope?
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: ugh, e-bay, I hate the name Reply with quote

DonK wrote:

Is it possible to get a NEW snes and a NEW copy of this game anywhere, or is ebay my only hope?

Locally, there may be (hidden in the corner of a strip mall somewhere) a shop that trades in used NES, SNES, Sega, etc. We have a pretty good one where I am, and I've managed to stay in controllers, power packs and the like. (My dog chewed through my power cord.) I still play NES, including Uncharted Waters for NES. e-bay? disgusting thought.
Powder Monkey

7 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: One of the best games ever Reply with quote

I loved that game. I almost always played the turkish trader though. Because if you could trade, you could get lots of money. If you could get lots of money, you could buy the biggest and best ships as well as visit an item shop at two in the morning and buy crusader swords and armor. THen you could start getting tough.

One other comment on the game, I always found the English pirate hunter the most difficult person to play.
Lynch
Powder Monkey

434 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unchartered Waters!

I was going to post about this very game but then thought best look first to see if there was another topic and lo and behold there is!

I’m quite thrilled to see other fans of this game, I managed to play it years ago due to a friend who had a copy and I instantly got hooked on the game. It was so fun to play and there was always so much to do, the fact you could be different characters including males and females was pretty good too, use to love playing as the red head female;)

Very great game and highly recommended, likely the only place you will be able to play this now however is on emulators.
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dread the day my battery finaly gives up on the 3 cartgiges I managed to scarf up for SNES . This has to be one of my favorite all ime games. I still play it .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: