Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Curacao and Bonaire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Curacao and Bonaire Reply with quote

After years of playing SMP, I realized today that Curacao and Bonaire seems to be confused with each other... or am I wrong?? Why is it so? Historical reasons??
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it?

Aruba, Curacao, hard for me to tell from this, but then I've never been to any of them.
Fonranbo
Powder Monkey

8 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beyond my knowledge so that I have enough.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Golly! You are right! All this time I've been playing SMP and I did not see that Curacao and Bonaire are REVERSED! Curacao is where Bonaire is in real live and Bonaire is where Curacao should be! Curacao is much larger than Bonaire in real life, so they just chose the wrong island to call Curacao!

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are officially named the Lesser Antilles but we like to call them the ABC Islands because of their names. They are Dutch Islands, were almost always controlled by the Dutch and are very different than other Caribbean Islands. They had a very large Jewish settlement.

The ABC Islands are part of South America and are south of the hurricane zone. Normally, hurricanes pass well north of the ABC Islands, very rarely do they dip down and hit them.

The ABC Islands are known as one of the very best places in the world for SCUBA diving and snorkeling. The whole attitude of the islands is very relaxed and comfortable. Crime is very rare. They are a great place to vacation! I am happy to say we have visited all three islands and enjoyed them very much.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I think Curacao is identified correctly in SMP. ABC does not reflect the geographic order of the islands. Here is a map of the islands:

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC is just the alphabetical order, not the physical order. The correct physical order is Aruba (west), Curacao (center) and Bonaire (East). SMP has Curacao as the furthest Eastern island of the chain. Also, Curacao if the largest of the three islands. SMP has Curacao as a small island.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there different SMP maps? In the version I play - and in every map I have seen - Curacao is the large middle island. See this map, for instance:

http://www.hanging-waters.com/special/maps/mapG-04.jpg
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you actually play the game, the port of Curacao is the Easternmost island. On the map, the name Curacao is centered over the Eastern Island, which should be Bonaire. Start up the game and click on a map and zoom in, the actual port is on Bonaire, they made a mistake.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm . . . you're right. Here is a screen shot that shows it:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/X_IGBJm3I7I/maxresdefault.jpg

I guess I associate the long middle island with Curacao because I always have to sail around it to get to the city.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Curacao is actually the island on the left of that screen and Bonaire should be the one on the right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: