Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Land Ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Young Guilo
Powder Monkey

862 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Land Ships Reply with quote

For some time now I've been seeing ships do strange things. They look like they're going into port but then they go past it.... onto the land. I've seen ships cut across islands before but it was weird.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I shore do knows hows to fix that. All's you got to do is grab a jug of rum and poof you won't notice a thing a thing wrong with your game anymore because the eyes will get blurry and the room will start spinning. Nothing like waking up from the floor near your computer covered in vomit. It's a pirates life for me. ARRR we ready to party?
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been playing with any mods to the map?

The simplified map that determines where AI ships can sail is not the same as the maps used to draw the islands themselves... this can lead to weird results if the maps aren't in sync.

For example, if you tried out the East Indies mod and then didn't quite disable all of it, the AI ships might be trying to sail around India and Vietnam while they sail through the Yucatan and Cuba.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Treasure Galleons problems Reply with quote

I've found that the T-galleons move too fast for their type. I try chasing with frigates and brigatines with losing results. Galleons were not that fast! I even tried using a captured T-Gal to chase and still could not catch up. I think the program is rigged to prevent catching them when underway.

Also, the tavern maid lets me know the T-Gals are headed to Europe, but I cannot find their route...anyone have an idea of where to intercept them?
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Treasure Galleons problems Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
I've found that the T-galleons move too fast for their type. I try chasing with frigates and brigatines with losing results. Galleons were not that fast! I even tried using a captured T-Gal to chase and still could not catch up. I think the program is rigged to prevent catching them when underway.

Also, the tavern maid lets me know the T-Gals are headed to Europe, but I cannot find their route...anyone have an idea of where to intercept them?

The web site's search function is your friend. I found this in 30 seconds, by searching posts for "Treasure Fleet Route".

This post was made by Davos in the "Treasure Fleet" topic. Roland recently quoted the same information in the same topic.

"Every January the treasure fleet starts in the area around Trinidad. The first port it is going to, is Cumana or Caracas. Then it sails to one of the next two ports following in the list.

1. Cumana
2. Caracas
3. Puerto Cabello
4. Coro
5. Rio de la Hacha
6. Cartagena
7. Puerto Bello
8. Havana

>8: ToEurope

The longest possible route is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
The shortest possible routes are 2, 4, 6, 8 or 2, 4, 6, 7 or 1, 3, 5, 7.

The ships: 3-5 Treasure Galleons (some get lost or captured on the way) with about 35 cannons and 180 men each

The cargo: The amount of gold (~1000 before the first port on the list) seems to increase by 400-500 with each stop at a town, some luxuries.

Notes: The galleons sail in a line. They stop in front of a port and wait for some seconds until the other ships did catch up before sailing on."
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Treasure Galleons problems Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:

If you're playing at a higher level, the game cheats to make it harder for you. One of the cheats is that EVIL Spaniards can outrun your sloop in their galleons. It would not surprise me if the Treasure Fleet were granted the same advantage.

ronnraymore wrote:

When headed for "Europe", the Treasure Fleet disappears around Bermuda.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be somewhere around the Havana/Florida/Tortuga/Bahamas when barmaid tells that the Treasure Galleons are headed for Europe, so you have enough time to catch them before they disappear(?)..
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: TGals Reply with quote

I've found them moving through the Tortuga slot and given chase only to have them disappear prior to reaching Havana. I've staked out Havana and they never show...what's going on?

Games should not cheat the player...that is unethical programming logic...by an evil minded simpleton. When played without cheating the game is difficult enough without it being made impossible.

Also the EVILs I've always been able to intercept, experiencing the same runaway sailing that is not possible for the ship type.

By the way...Galleons do not pivot around their center. Lacking lateen sails they cannot get the necessary force at either end to do so...this is impossible and why Drake was able to defeat the Armada using only his Corvette fleet and fireships. Galleons were barges with little maneuverability and slow straight-line sailing even with a following wind. Water drag and really minimal sail area made them slow and cumbersome to sail. These representations are another instance of cheating by the program developer.

Does anyone know of a Pirate game that is based on reality? Ship sailing characteristics and battle maneuvering are very mature knowledge bases and formulae predict reactions to all situations. The America's Cup yacht developers as well as Naval Research Lab use this as their design base for all new ship hull types.

The old sailing ships were as well developed and known, hence the ability to build clipper ships that rivaled merchant vessels today...just didn't carry enough cargo.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TGals Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
The old sailing ships were as well developed and known, hence the ability to build clipper ships that rivaled merchant vessels today...just didn't carry enough cargo.

In recent years, trans-Pacific cargo ships have taken to using highly secretive kite sails, which save fuel and can trim a day or two off the crossing time. They just raise the kite to an elevation where it finds a wind blowing in the direction they are headed, and it helps to pull them along.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TGals Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:

Does anyone know of a Pirate game that is based on reality?

Look at the pirate games listed in the 'Other Games' section.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Developments with TGals Reply with quote

I found that basing out of Key West I can hang out in the area of Havana and found that when the word is out the fleet is heading to Havana I can intercept them and wait the couple of days for them to load before getting underway.

The pesky French have a habit of invading and capturing Havana and I have to go in, capture, and install a Viceroy. Then the Brits invade, etc. So far as long as I keep the port Spanish the fleet will stop there.

I picked up the fleet at Cumana, sailed with it on the route had to reef sails to keep from sailing away from them, yet when I lagged behind too far they suddenly shoot away even when I'm on full sails. I saw one head for the sand barrier isles just south of Principe and vanish?!( What the hell?( I waited around and it never reappeared...this game logic is goofy as hell and makes play so frustrating with its MariAtario actions.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Developments with TGals Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
The pesky French have a habit of invading and capturing Havana and I have to go in, capture, and install a Viceroy. Then the Brits invade, etc. So far as long as I keep the port Spanish the fleet will stop there.

In my gaming experience Havana usually stays Spanish with strong garrison and French ends up losing Florida Keys.

ronnraymore wrote:
I picked up the fleet at Cumana, sailed with it on the route had to reef sails to keep from sailing away from them, yet when I lagged behind too far they suddenly shoot away even when I'm on full sails. I saw one head for the sand barrier isles just south of Principe and vanish?!( What the hell?( I waited around and it never reappeared...this game logic is goofy as hell and makes play so frustrating with its MariAtario actions.

That sounds really buggy.
What difficulty setting are you playing? I have seen on Adventurer difficulty that some ships tend to have that speed boost sometimes. Especially "Evil Spaniards" Raymondo and Montalban, and also named pirates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: