Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

I like counter-fencing!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: I like counter-fencing!!! Reply with quote

I spent two years using nothing but a cutlass to learn how to counterpunch(counter-fence). It is what I like to do. Once I learned that, I switched to using a Rapier but I still counter-fence. I parry the opponent and then land a big blow. Works great but I am usually in Rouge mode, not Swashbuckler. I usually jump, duck or parry and then hit him with an uppercut. If that does not work, then I use the overhand chop. Experience shows me which works on a given opponent. I like the opponent to commit first, block his efforts and then land the big blow. It works for me and I have been doing this a long time!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played below swashbuckler for years. This is how I fence, and I use a rapier 99.999% of the time. The .001% is Montalbon at his fort; when I'll use a longsword and parry, no matter what move he does, parry. I then follow up with a low slash. If I happen to parry a thrust I can usually get a parry and a slash in. Beat him first try every time. But yes, above Rogue or so this is really the only way to fence.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fight like Salty Dog - parry/duck/jump and then counterattack. I most often slash low after a duck and chop high after a jump. But I rarely use a rapier except against criminals in the tavern (who are so slow that it's easy to parry them even with a rapier). I normally use a longsword against normal opponents and a cutlass against the toughest opponents (e.g., captain of the guard, jealous fiance). My fencing philosophy: They can't beat me if they can't hit me!

One challenge of this fencing style is that you have to tailor your defensive speed to your opponent's offensive speed. Against a slow opponent, I sometimes counterattack too soon after ducking, which causes me to stand up and take the full impact of my opponent's chop, negating my counterattack. Against a fast opponent, by contrast, I can begin my counter-chop before I even reach the peak of my jump!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sticking to the rapier but you have inspired me to try blocks. I find this works great on the faster opponents once you get used to it.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: