Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What's Wrong with this Photo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... When my wife wants our kid to take a shower, there tends to be an argument. Recently, the result was that he didn't take a shower but nevertheless was so angry that he went to sleep in the closet instead of in bed, and I was the one who had to carry him into the bed after he fell asleep. He's getting heavy, too.

When I tell him to take a shower (assuming mom isn't there to interfere) I pick him up and carry him struggling and laughing into the bathroom and put him in the shower. For some reason known only to 9 year old boys, he resists me and yells through his giggles as if I'm Ming the Merciless and have deprived him of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but thinks it's hilarious and takes his shower with a good temper.

If Mom is there to interfere, she won't put up with this rough treatment of her little boy. Well, I can't expect her to understand. She never was a boy.

I suspect that the idea that girls are better behaved goes back to when school, church, nannies, in fact everyone, told them that they'd better behave like little ladies, or else. Now that their role models are music celebs and super models, you can count yourself lucky if your four year old girl doesn't go clubbing.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Roland wrote:
So . . . just what could one get in exchange for kids? Mendoza wants to know! He's considering expanding his kidnaping business beyond his current specialization in governors' daughters.

I believe 6 inches of steel through the vital organ of your choice is the going rate for victimizing children. It isn't called cutlass isle for nothing.

Upon weighing the costs and benefits, Colonel Mendoza has decided to stick with his current business model.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Girls, on the other hand tend to consent, and then disobey, or drag their feet, or complain, etc. Etc.

My experience suggests that they continue to behave like that well into adulthood . . .
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
If Mom is there to interfere, she won't put up with this rough treatment of her little boy. Well, I can't expect her to understand. She never was a boy.

Though she had to assume the role of a boy when playing Sid's Pirates!
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
Roland wrote:
So . . . just what could one get in exchange for kids? Mendoza wants to know! He's considering expanding his kidnaping business beyond his current specialization in governors' daughters.

I believe 6 inches of steel through the vital organ of your choice is the going rate for victimizing children. It isn't called cutlass isle for nothing.

Upon weighing the costs and benefits, Colonel Mendoza has decided to stick with his current business model.

Well, we're all in favor of the current business model. No kidnapping, no marriage. No marriage, you miss out on up to 10 points when it's time to retire.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with this photo? Please don't check the url. That would make it way too easy.

Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wise guy answer is that it's old and the glass is scratched and chipped.

I've got more wise guy remarks, but I'm stumped. I'll look at it again later.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like it's been Photo-Shopped. The girl in the middle is very sharp detail, while the man and woman oneither side are fuzzy. Looks lie the woman in the middle had her face pasted over some else,s face.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough.

According to the site I got the pic from, the photo was made back in the days when cameras had a slow shutter speed, so you had to stay very still or the pic would come out blurry. Supposedly, the one in the middle was dead and didn't move at all, plus the lens was focused on her face, so it is the clearest part of the photo. The other people were alive and involuntarily moved a little, so they came out less clear. Supposedly lots of people got photos of their dead loved ones, posed as if alive, because getting a photo was expensive and you might not have gotten a photo of that special someone when she was alive.

However, I've no proof that the dead person theory is true. You could be right.

Of course Rusty is correct too, there does appear to be some minor damage.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. The girl is deceased and the parents wanted a picture of them with her. You nailed it. Sounds reasonable considering the cost and hassle of getting good photographs taken back then. Very interesting.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't nail it. I read it on a website. It's plausible explanation, though, especially as she appears to be in bed, hardly a likely place to be photoed alive in the olden days.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dead Theory sounds good to me - as there is no life in her eyes - and I think I can some glint in the life of the other 2 , parents I suppose.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with this Smile

Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the head to the left of the cop's belongs to a kid not a doll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 3 of 32

Jump to: