Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Salty's Spring 2019 Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Salty's Spring 2019 Campaign Reply with quote

I have my sea bag backed and am ready to board another stout ship. This cruise will be for 28 days starting from the Port of San Diego and visiting the Hawaiian, Gilbert, Society, Tuamotu and Marquesas Islands. Highlights will be Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Raiatea, Fakarava, Nuku Hiva, Honolulu and Hilo. I will be away from the internet for long stretches of time so bear with my appearing and disappearing!

As always we will keep a sharp eye out for Pirates and report any here. None of these ports are in the SMP game but maybe Pirate could add them to his amazing mods! Our ship will return to San Diego April 6th. Our ship is 86,000 tons, 935 feet in length, 2104 passengers and 876 Hearty Crew Members.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you fair winds on your voyage.
tonymack21
Powder Monkey

291 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arr, may the seas be smooth sailin.

that trip is pretty much exactly my gf and i's dream.. Hawaii and the south pacific, specifically Tahiti and bora bora from that list, also maybe Fiji one day. the hardest part would be leaving im sure.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMack,

This trip is going smoothly. We left San Diego March 9 and reached Honolulu March 15, staying there one day and then visiting Hilo on the Big Islandfor a day. Then two sea days to reach Fanning Island, Kiribati for a charity stop there. Then three more sea days to reach Bora Bora. We spent two days there and and are now in nearby Raritea. All the islands are close to each other in this part of the world. After Raritea, we visit Moorea then Tahiti then Fakarava then a full days sail to reach Nuka Tina in the Marquesas. Then we have 6 full days sailing back to San Diego.

This trip is great because is has short airplane rides from our home I the Seattle area and a long cruise. Good fun! And yes, Bora Bora is an amazing place to visit and go snorkeling.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back home now after my month-long trip to San Diego and the South Pacific. The islands we visited are perhaps the most beautiful places we have ever seen. A trip to Bora Bora is something I will never forget. The island is amazingly beautiful and is surrounded by a ring of reefs/islands that create the most amazing lagoon possible. The water is different shades of blue and the outlying islands have sand beaches, cottages and palm trees.

Inside the lagoon are underwater reefs with hundreds of colorful fish. Other areas have shallows with sting rays and sharks that are attracted by feeding them. There is an opening in the outside reef that allows ships to enter the lagoon and access the island. Sailing through the opening provides access to the deeper ocean and here is where larger sharks live. We swam with some of them. Scary at first but a lot of fun.

The other islands are nearly as beautiful, especially Moorea, Raritea and Tahaa. Ths island of Fakarava in the Tuamotu Islands has the third largest volcanic lagoon in the world and was another amazing place we went snorkeling.

The water in French Polynesia is very warm. You just jump in and no adjustment to the temperature is required at all.

I have more to say in future posts. This was a Bucket List trip I am SO GLAD we took. French Polynesia is a long ways away and takes both time and money to experience. It is Hawaii times two or three. Awesome!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Glad you had a great experience and a save trip.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Welcome back.
[+]
Powder Monkey

313 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raised a question in my mind (I'm guessing it's been discussed before) - which cruise line itinerary is best for traveling between the places that matter in Pirates - i.e., which goes to the most destinations, which has good historical content, etc.?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try searching like cruises for pirate buffs etc. I don't get to travel much mainly because of the no shirt no shoes no service rules in place but i bet you could find something interesting. They even have cruise ships with sails on them which might be interesting too.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty is familiar with the cruise board. I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction to find the answer.

I only cruise Princess in Alaska and Disney for the Caribbean. I don't think Disney is your answer, the excursions and itinerary's aren't history focused, even though they make some entertaining pirate themed movies.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a LOT of success cruising the Caribbean on Holland America line and love them.
Go to this web site www.vacationstogo.com and sign up, you will get ONE email a week and it is worth it. They have a fantastic data base with all the cruises. You can sort any way you want! I have been to most of the ports on SMP, but not all. Some are gone now and some are just too hard to get to.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a real pirate adventure I would recommend cruising by Somalia or someplace like that on a small boat but not poor looking wearing flashy jewelry and you’ll either find Dave’s Jones locker or have a pirate story to tell.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Pirate, you should be much more of an expert than the rest of us. There is more piracy in your neck of the woods than almost anywhere else! I hear the islands of Indonesia have more pirates than anyplace!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is a good spot however I’m from Virginia not The East Indies, South East Asia etc. Thailand was once a bad place. The story about the Vietnamese boat people and there sufferings is a interesting one and they had to deal with pirates over that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: