Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

SMP on Win 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Any One On Win 10 Yet ?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Never
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
What Happened to Windows 9 ?
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Install on new Windows 10 machine Reply with quote

tdacon wrote:
I've just tried to run Pirates after installing it on a new machine that came with Windows 10 pre-installed, and it gives me the "Unable to initialize DirectX" error.

I think that what's happening is that DirectX 9 has been integrated directly into Windows 10, and one of two things might be happening:
1. It's not behaving exactly like the version separately installed on earlier versions of Windows, or
2. Pirates is actually looking into the file system expecting to find a DLL file with a specific name and not locating it.

If I try to install DirectX 9.0c from its own setup program it tells me that it's not compatible with Windows 10.

While I had been able to run it on a Windows 8 machine (if I recall correctly), I now get the same error on that machine after it was updated to Windows 10. So unless someone comes up with a brilliant hack, it looks like it's the end of the road for this beloved ten-year-old game that I've played for so long, at least on Win 10. However, I do have a Windows XP virtual machine that I can run it on, albeit at some inconvenience.

Tom

You're not the first who have had the problem with Windows 10 refusing to install DX 9.
Other Windows 10 users have been successful using the DX 9 installer at this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109
Let me know if this works for you.
tdacon
Powder Monkey

399 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Thanks for the tip, but no joy Reply with quote

I ran that directx_Jun2010_redist.exe DirectX installer but the "unable to initialize DirectX" error message continues to come up. I tried a reboot to give it a chance to do anything else it needed to do, but got the same result.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Tom
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the tip, but no joy Reply with quote

tdacon wrote:
I ran that directx_Jun2010_redist.exe DirectX installer but the "unable to initialize DirectX" error message continues to come up. I tried a reboot to give it a chance to do anything else it needed to do, but got the same result.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

You didn't say so, but did DirectX9 install, or did you get the "not compatible with Windows 10" message.
Run DXDIAG and see what the video and sound tests show you.
Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card.
Try running Pirates! in Safe Mode (use the Pirates! - Safe Mode shortcut on the start menu).

At the Steam forums there is a thread about the error.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922656
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Win7 gaming Reply with quote

I recently tired of the slowmotion bugs on XP OS and installed the game onto a Win7 Lenovo t61...world of difference. Game runs like it was written for 7!

I have no desire to try it out on 8.1 or 10, since the bugs left are in the really bad programming...this should have been a Beta instead of RTM!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: