Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Eponymous Saints
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care of yourself. Your health comes first. Without that, there is nothing.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
On Tuesday I made a last visit to my old apartment and spent the day salvaging stuff and taking photos to support my insurance claim. Next, I need to find a new apartment.

Since I lost my shaver in the fire, I decided to let my beard grow. I have grown a beard before during times of transition in my life, and I think this qualifies. Today I trimmed it for the first time since the fire. It's a lot whiter than the last time I had a beard!

The magnitude of the tasks ahead of me - making the insurance claim and rebuilding the material aspects of my life nearly from scratch - seem overwhelming when I think about them. So far I have been trying to carry on my life as usual, but between that and post-fire necessities other things are getting squeezed out - including sleep.

Thanks for the update!

Having been an insurance adjuster( It was specialized, but I had to learn about various types of insurance to get licensed) , I can tell you that it's about rules and documentation.

If the property was covered, the more you can do to prove what you had and what it's value is/was , and that it's damaged/destroyed, the better. ( I realize that the more completely something is destroyed, the harder it is to prove that it ever existed. )

It's also about consistency. If the data reconciles, it must be true.

Your credit card company may be able to help. Or the stores from which you purchased. Do any of your friends have pictures taken in your apartment? Could you get sworn statements?

------------------------------------------------------

Whenever something seems overwhelming, remember that a task can usually be broken down into smaller ones that seem less daunting.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes it's easier to move forward when you look at the tragedy as an opportunity- the freedom for a fresh start. Without all of the baggage, it's easier to travel or relocate, or otherwise take a sabbatical. Or maybe it's a simple do-over. Your life, you have to figure that stuff out.

You're in my prayers.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rusty. This week I'll be starting the search for a new place to live. In case I find something to buy instead of rent, I am also going to get a mortgage pre-approval.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the Feast of St. Katherine of Alexandria, namesake of the island of Santa Catalina. According to her hagiography, the noble, educated Katherine, age 18, confronted the emperor Maximinus at a time when he was persecuting Christians and upbraided him for his cruelty and idolatry. The tyrant summoned his scholars to debate with her, but she defeated them all and even converted some of them, who were immediately executed. The enraged emperor sentenced her to die on the wheel, but at her touch it fell apart. He then had her beheaded. Her remains are buried at the monastery in Sinai known popularly as St. Katherine's (though it is technically dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ).

The form in which we have her hagiography is quite late, suggesting it was probably elaborated in repeated retellings over the centuries. But during the Middle Ages she was quite popular. Along with her fellow virgin martyr St. Margaret of Antioch, St. Katherine was claimed as a saintly adviser by Joan of Arc.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: The Book of Enoch. Reply with quote

I have agreed to add it to my reading list. When I searched for it on Kindle, there were too many options. So, do you have any guidance as to which version available on kindle might be easier reading?

Thanks, and how goes your life? Do you have a new place to live now?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland,

at this point are you getting anywhere with getting yourself re-established? Can the pirate community be of any help?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for thinking of me. My new place is still sparsely furnished. I am still dithering on which second-best solution to go with on storage shelving, so it's also a bit of a mess. But my life is mostly back to normal. I continue to re-acquire books and music. I have mostly rebuilt my collection of Byzantine liturgical books.

I still need to file the insurance claim. I have been notified that I will be expected to testify against my former neighbor in the arson trial, now set for May.

In late summer, I will probably start looking for a house to buy. I want to get back to where I was living before, but there are no apartment buildings besides the one that burned down. (They have used zoning laws to prevent new apartments from being built.)
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... arson charges put a whole new complexion on it.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how they expect to convict him since he has a solid insanity defense. I'm afraid they are trying to turn him into a scapegoat in order to divert attention from the local authorities who knew he was off his meds and refused to deal with him. They are the people I hold responsible.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite saint would be Aquinas.

His insights are still relevant to cosmology, today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas#Prima_causa_.28first_cause.29
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original topic of this thread!

Today is the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, which commemorates the consecration of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem in 335. The Island of Saint Croix, one of the US Virgin Islands, is named for the Holy Cross.

The island somehow escaped the worst of Hurricane Irma's damage, so it is now serving as a staging area for recovery efforts in the rest of the Virgin Islands, which were all hit much harder by the hurricane. St. Croix lies well to the south of the rest of the chain.

In SMP, the Virgin Islands appear as small, unnamed obstacles between St. Martin and Puerto Rico.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty's Fall 2017 sailing campaign is scheduled to start in Tampa, and the first four ports are Key West, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and Antigua. All four of the first ports have been hit hard by Hurricane Irma. I think some of them will be ready in November when we re scheduled to arrive, but some of them will not be and we will be re-routed to other ports that are intact. After Antigua, we are scheduled for St. Lucia and I believe it is not harmed.

then, we call of the ABC Islands of Aruba, Bonnaire and Curacao. These are so far south they are considered part of South America and are out of the Hurricane alley - Hurricanes don't go that far south. Then we head north to Grand Cayman Island and back to Tampa before starting our next leg to the Western Caribbean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: