Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Land Unit Stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Land Unit Stats Reply with quote

I am in the process of compiling tables of various sorts of information that would be useful in a handy reference page while playing Pirates!. I have not found the stats for land combat units compiled in a single place, so I wanted to run these past other players.

Code:
Unit Type     Att/Def      Move        Range
Pirates          4           2           0
Buccaneers       1           2           4
Officers         5           2           0
Infantry         2           2           3
Guards           3           2           2
Cavalry         8/4          3           0
Archers          2           2           2
Scouts           3           2           0

Questions:

Are all of the numbers correct? Some of the information I have seen is inconsistent - e.g., stats of Guards vs. Infantry.

Are the units all named properly? There seems to be some inconsistency regarding the names of the Native units.

Do any units other than Cavalry have different stats for Defense than for Attack?

Any other suggestions to make the table more useful?

Edit: Reversed ranges of Guards and Infantry. Revised order of units to correspond to the manual.

Last edited by Roland on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cap'n Sawyer
Powder Monkey

871 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific strengths/weaknesses, like Cavalry being very vulnerable in Forest terrain, and Native units ignoring the move penalty for Forest terrain. Also, how Morale (and therefore Atk/Def) affected by the 'Angry' or 'Wavering' or 'Panicked' conditions, and also the same for Height. Does a +1 Morale Bonus equal a +1 Height Bonus? Does a Guard unit (Atk 3) with a Morale & Height bonus of +1 each considered equal strength to a normal Officers unit?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered a rare instance where Sashanan's FAQ/Strategy Guide was wrong and the manual and Pirate-O-Pedia were right! In section 6.3, Sashanan writes
Quote:
Enemy infantry has a gun attack range of 2; guards have a range of 3. I find the two units a little tricky to tell apart, myself.
So tricky that he reversed them, apparently! I have confirmed that the manual is correct in attributing range 3 to Infantry and range 2 to Guards. I corrected the table in the first post of the thread.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap'n Sawyer wrote:
Specific strengths/weaknesses, like Cavalry being very vulnerable in Forest terrain, and Native units ignoring the move penalty for Forest terrain. Also, how Morale (and therefore Atk/Def) affected by the 'Angry' or 'Wavering' or 'Panicked' conditions, and also the same for Height. Does a +1 Morale Bonus equal a +1 Height Bonus? Does a Guard unit (Atk 3) with a Morale & Height bonus of +1 each considered equal strength to a normal Officers unit?

I will add a fifth column, In Trees, to list the Cavalry penalty and Native unit special movement. And I will add the following notes:

A unit's turn ends if it moves into trees or makes a ranged attack.
Damage from a ranged attack is /2 against units in trees.
A unit's Attack is ×2 when attacking from the flank.
A unit attacking or defending from a higher elevation in close combat is at +1, +2, or +3, depending on its height advantage.

I'm still thinking about how to handle morale.

As for details about the relative effects of height and morale, one would need to either hack the code or do a statistical analysis of detailed combat records to be sure, and I'm not inclined to do either. But I would welcome the input of those with a lot of land battles under their belts. Is there any consensus on this?
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are with helmets, Infantry or Guards?
And how to recognize Archers and Scouts from each other?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Who are with helmets, Infantry or Guards?
And how to recognize Archers and Scouts from each other?

Infantry have the helmets and cuirasses. Guards have the hats.

Archers have a yellow armband and hold their weapon in their left hand. Scouts have a red armband and carry their weapons in their right hand.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for clarifying it.

Which one of those are better prime targets for Buccaneers? Do you first shoot the weaker Infantry down or the Guards who have better defense?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Ok. Thanks for clarifying it.

Which one of those are better prime targets for Buccaneers? Do you first shoot the weaker Infantry down or the Guards who have better defense?

While they have shorter range, guards are better trained and do more damage both firing and in hand-to-hand combat. Infantry never attack me hand-to-hand, they ALWAYS fire from range. So I focus on the guards first, then pick off the infantry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: