Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

How do I install a mod?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shivertim
Powder Monkey

88 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: How do I install a mod? Reply with quote

I am new to this game and the mods look like fun. How do I install them?
Thanks Sad
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're using windows, there will be a folder created in your "documents/my games" directory called Sid Meier's Pirates!

In this folder will be a "Custom" folder. If there isn't one, you can create one.

When the Pirates! game loads, it looks in the "Custom" folder first for content that replaces the basic content in the program files. Most mods can simply be placed into the "Custom" folder, and the program will load them as it starts up.

Other mods require content to be installed into the "Assets" folder in the Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Pirates! folder in the "Program Files (x86)" directory. If the mod requires this, there will be a note (usually a text file) telling you this.

All of my mods are installed in the "Custom" folder.

Hope this helps. Smile

Minor addendum: if the mod is in an archive (such as a .zip file or .rar file), it has to be extracted, and the extracted files placed in the "Custom" folder.

The Pirates! can load compressed files, but only those in a proprietary format (.fpk--they're called Pak files). If the mod is in an fpk format, it can be placed as it is in the "Custom" folder and the game will load it.

Last edited by Mandiuscreel on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandiuscreel pretty much covered it. If there is a mod that doesn't work using his guidance, tell us about it and provide a link. I'm fairly certain one of us can help.
shivertim
Powder Monkey

88 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: mod install Reply with quote

Thanks all Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: