Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Can't load Pirates - spinning wheel goes nowhere
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdvbilt
Powder Monkey

121 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Can't load Pirates - spinning wheel goes nowhere Reply with quote

Hi!

I love Pirates! I'm using a 64-bit, Windows 10 PC trying to run the game. Unfortunately, I can't get it to load. It goes to the screen where the ship's wheel is spinning, and never gets past it. I've waited for hours to see if it moved, and it doesn't. I've tried the various compatibility options, and nothing works -- just stopped at the spinning wheel.

I need desperate help, I love this game! Incidentally, the same thing happened with Windows 8 and (I think) Windows 7.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by mdvbilt on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that all the sheep on board got butchered and the spinning wheel ran out of wool. The pirate operating the spinning wheel probably is to drunk to know it's out of wool. His head is spinning just as fast as that wheel. Might take a while for them to sober up and let you on board. Bring some sheep with you when you do get in or you might never get back out for that wheel keeps spinning.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, mdvbilt. I am probably the least qualified person on this board to answer your question, but since no one else is biting (at least no one who is sober) I'll get the discussion started.

Could the problem be the 64-bit OS? Do you have an option to run it under a 32-bit simulator? (At work, I have an old DOS program that has never been updated. IT had to set up a 32-bit virtual machine for me to run it on.)
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running SMP on a Windows 7 64 bit computer.
What version of the game are you running (as in DVD, 2CD, downloaded, to include from what site)?

What's the name of the folder where you installed the game?
Mine is on C:\Program Files (x86)
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
I'm running SMP on a Windows 7 64 bit computer.
What version of the game are you running (as in DVD, 2CD, downloaded, to include from what site)?

What's the name of the folder where you installed the game?
Mine is on C:\Program Files (x86)

I am also running on a 64 Bit Win 10 - no problems.

Have you tried in compatibility mode ?

Right click on the Icon and set the options.
mdvbilt
Powder Monkey

121 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it off of two CDs (DVDs?), and I also bought the GOG version of it just as a hope that it would help. Doesn't work.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Pirates!\"

I've tried running it in compatibility mode, but nothing seems compatible with it -- still doesn't run. I just get stuck to that screen with the spinning ship's wheel and it goes nowhere.
Crying or Very sad
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdvbilt wrote:
I'm running it off of two CDs (DVDs?), and I also bought the GOG version of it just as a hope that it would help. Doesn't work.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Pirates!\"

I've tried running it in compatibility mode, but nothing seems compatible with it -- still doesn't run. I just get stuck to that screen with the spinning ship's wheel and it goes nowhere.
Crying or Very sad

Since you have the 2 CD version, if I remeber correctly, CD # 2 has to be in your disk drive to start the game. If doing that doesn't work, you might want to consider getting a 'no CD fix' (allows you to run the game without the need to have the CD in the disk drive).
mdvbilt
Powder Monkey

121 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that the 2nd CD needs to be in the slot.

That's why I bought the GOG version of it -- no CD required.

It makes my computer hang so much that I can't even kill it with the Task Manager.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - out of ideas.

Perhaps see if you can dig up an old laptop / desktop to play Pirates on.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I had the same problem once. I simply pointed my finger at the screen with the meanest look I could make on my face then said load da---- Ain't gave me any bull after that. Doesn't work so well on women problems though. It will get your butt kicked real quick like on women. Found that out the hard way. For real though your computer should play this. Something is corrupt somewhere it's just a matter of finding out what it is. Sorry for all the craziness. I was the class clown in back when I was a young pup.
Von Drinkoften
Powder Monkey

32 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the PC DVD version and found that after not having run the game for quite some time, it wouldn't launch.

It appears that the problem was caused by a Microsoft Security update.
Specifically KB3086255 which disabled safedisk DRM protection.

Look for it under "Control panel\Programmes and features" and click on "view installed updates"

I got around it by uninstalling this particular Windows update and the game launches fine again.

I'm running Windows 7 professional 64 bit

More info can be found here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2985806/software-games/windows-vista-7-8-update-prevents-some-old-cd-rom-games-from-running.html

Hope it helps Wink
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Drinkoften wrote:
I also have the PC DVD version and found that after not having run the game for quite some time, it wouldn't launch.

Look for it under "Control panel\Programmes and features" and click on "view installed updates"

I got around it by uninstalling this particular Windows update and the game launches fine again.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2985806/software-games/windows-vista-7-8-update-prevents-some-old-cd-rom-games-from-running.html

Hope it helps Wink

Welcome to Hooked on Pirates, and thanks for the information!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Drinkoften wrote:

Hope it helps Wink

Wow, what an amazing guy! I hope you stick around here. If you like Sid Meier's Pirates, there is a wealth of info here and we have played the game far more times than we are willing to admit to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: