Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Add Dog to the Dictionary
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I grew up, this was the most popular dog on TV. I used to watch this show every week.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this dog was one of the most popular on TV for a number of years!...


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sparticus
Helmsman
Posts: 5796



44177 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
And this dog was one of the most popular on TV for a number of years!...




Where's Elroy ?

Perhaps Lassie can assist Smile

or this dude :



oops - wrong thread - not a dog at all... Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sparticus
Helmsman
Posts: 5796



44177 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
OK, who is that one? You are coming up with some really good ones!

Snuffles from the Quick Draw McGraw show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldJlUSJ9OI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Blue
Rigger
Posts: 1819



31867 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

or this dude :



oops - wrong thread - not a dog at all... Smile


This guy wasn't Dudley Doright's pet, but maybe he should have been.



Sorry, but I don't know of any cartoon dog Mounties.
_________________
" ... the mistakes that we male and female mortals make when we have our own way might fairly raise some wonder that we are so fond of it. " George Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no dog in the original Bullwinkle versions of the Dudley Doright show. There was Nell and Captain Fennwick, Dudley and his horse, and of course Snidely Whiplash.

Snidely did pair with a dog in the later cartoon Wacky Races - but they changed Snidely's name to Dick Dastardly and the dog's name was Muttley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Roland
Boatswain
Posts: 2927



8822 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
This guy wasn't Dudley Doright's pet, but maybe he should have been.



Sorry, but I don't know of any cartoon dog Mounties.

Klondike Kat! He used to chase a French-Canadian mouse outlaw named Savoir Faire. His catchphrase was, "I'll make mincemeat out of that mouse!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klondike Kat's series was about a cat constantly chasing a mouse, but it didn't have anything like the impact of Tom & Jerry. It was about a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, but it wasn't nearly as famous as Dudley Do-Right. It took place in the Frozen North, but it wasn't even as big a deal as Breezly & Sneezly, and that one was extremely minor among 1960s Hanna-Barbera productions. It was merely a minor back segment from a minor animation studio, but it did last longer than most because it was a back segment in more than one show.
As a Mountie, Klondike took his orders from Major Minor (but not the Major Minor who was out to put Snagglepuss's head on his wall). The "man" Klondike always got was cheese thief Savoir Faire, a mouse, whose catch phrase, rendered in an appropriately cheesy French accent, was "Savoir Faire is everywhere!" Rounding out the cast was Malamutt, a dog. Klondike's voice was done by Mort Marshall, a face actor who did do a little voice work for this one studio. Major Minor was Kenny Delmar, whose radio character, Senator Claghorn, was Mel Blanc's inspiration for Foghorn Leghorn.

This segment started off filling the empty minutes of Tennessee Tuxedo's 1963 Saturday morning show, alongside reruns of Tooter Turtle and The Hunter from the old King Leonardo show. There was another new segment in the rotation, The World of Commander McBragg. The production company, formerly known as Total Television, had been renamed Leonardo Productions after its earlier success.

The practice of re-using back segments was continued in the studio's next half-hour show, Underdog, which is how Klondike Kat came to last as long as he did. After it moved to CBS in 1966, the Underdog back segments included Klondike Kat along with a new segment, Go Go Gophers, a miniature western with a two-Indian tribe versus a two-cavalryman Army post.

In 1968, the Gophers got their own show, with the same tired old Klondike Kat episodes as a back segment. It lasted one season, and that was the last time Klondike Kat was seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Roland
Boatswain
Posts: 2927



8822 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
The practice of re-using back segments was continued in the studio's next half-hour show, Underdog, which is how Klondike Kat came to last as long as he did. After it moved to CBS in 1966, the Underdog back segments included Klondike Kat along with a new segment, Go Go Gophers, a miniature western with a two-Indian tribe versus a two-cavalryman Army post.

In 1968, the Gophers got their own show, with the same tired old Klondike Kat episodes as a back segment. It lasted one season, and that was the last time Klondike Kat was seen.

I remember the Gophers - just barely. I mostly remember the theme song. I'll bet it was inspired by the sitcom F Troop.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sparticus
Helmsman
Posts: 5796



44177 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
The practice of re-using back segments was continued in the studio's next half-hour show, Underdog, which is how Klondike Kat came to last as long as he did. After it moved to CBS in 1966, the Underdog back segments included Klondike Kat along with a new segment, Go Go Gophers, a miniature western with a two-Indian tribe versus a two-cavalryman Army post.

In 1968, the Gophers got their own show, with the same tired old Klondike Kat episodes as a back segment. It lasted one season, and that was the last time Klondike Kat was seen.

I remember the Gophers - just barely. I mostly remember the theme song. I'll bet it was inspired by the sitcom F Troop.



I had totally forgotten those Go Go Gophers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbaAfHIa2A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Blue
Rigger
Posts: 1819



31867 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember it, the Gopher who was not the chief was the brains of the operation, but couldn't speak and used outlandish sign language instead. The chief spoke broken English, even when there was no one there except the other Gopher. Apparently, their "tribe" had no language of its own.
_________________
" ... the mistakes that we male and female mortals make when we have our own way might fairly raise some wonder that we are so fond of it. " George Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, you completely stole my thunder! I was going to put up a picture of the gophers and ask who knew them. Then, I was going to ask if anyone knew the TV show the cartoons was based on. You pre-empted me!!! I used to watch the TV show with Larry Storch, Ken Berry and Forrest Tucker and then I watched the cartoon show too. They were so funny!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr. Blue
Rigger
Posts: 1819



31867 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Roland, you completely stole ...


Well, he is a pirate after all. Smile
_________________
" ... the mistakes that we male and female mortals make when we have our own way might fairly raise some wonder that we are so fond of it. " George Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salty Dog
Helmsman
Posts: 5927



102904 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, we were on absolutely the same wave length! Identical thoughts! Great minds must think alike (or fools never differ).......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Roland
Boatswain
Posts: 2927



8822 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Roland, you completely stole my thunder! I was going to put up a picture of the gophers and ask who knew them. Then, I was going to ask if anyone knew the TV show the cartoons was based on. You pre-empted me!!! I used to watch the TV show with Larry Storch, Ken Berry and Forrest Tucker and then I watched the cartoon show too. They were so funny!!!

You forgot Melody Patterson as Wrangler Jane. She lied about her age so that she could start acting in the series at age 16!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group