Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What are you doing for Christmas this year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: What are you doing for Christmas this year? Reply with quote

We are in between cruises (next one mid-January), so we will hang around home here in the Seattle area. Not much square dancing in the Holiday period so I'll be online and go out to the range if weather is not too bad. We used to go visit family over the holidays but all our parents have passed away now and we are not as close with our brothers and sisters. So, I'll be here online...... Sailor
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying at home when not attending worship services. My daughters and their husbands and children are coming here on New Year's Day to exchange gifts.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Christmas Day, which falls on Sunday this year, after church I'll head up to my brother's house. He is only about an hour and a half from me, so I usually spend holidays with him. I'll probably spend the night and return home the next day.

The rest of our family is in Indiana, so I don't see them as often - especially in the winter. As often as not, when I try to travel to Indiana for Christmas the weather forces me to change my plans.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are home from our December trip to Florida. Christmas has been celebrated at my MIL's home after candlelight service ever since I've been married. The thing is, she has developed Altzheimer's and has moved to a nursing home.

So I guess gifts will be opened here, which means a lot of house cleaning. We still have boxes of stuff from her house stacked in her living room. We need to organize to create space. I don't have any shopping left to do.

Then there is normally a party at our house for my wife's extended family on the 26th.

As for my family, on my father's side, he was one of ten kids, and there was always a 3 generation Christmas party, usually the Saturday before, but with so many people and distance to travel it became a miserable burden, and my siblings and I swore off extending the tradition, and stopped buying gifts for each other and our spouses.

My wife thought it was because Christmas wasn't a big deal for us, but on the contrary, we dearly wanted it to be joyful and not stressful and expensive, and this was our gift to each other as well as to the spouses of our siblings.

While we lived in the same county we would do something like go to dinner and a movie together. That was fun rather than a chore. Now my siblings and I live in WA, FL, WI, and one still lives in PA, complete with farm animals. We don't get together at he same time, although I just shared the last trip with my sister from WA.

My mother's side of the family doesn't get together on any set schedule.

I do get sentimental for Christmas in PA sometimes, but Christmas in my wife's family wouldn't be what it is without her, and travel that time of year is a pain. Last time I did it I was driving 150 miles in 8 inches of snow.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving from 1 side of my country to the other visiting family.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

Isn't that kind of hot this time of year?
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
sparticus wrote:

Isn't that kind of hot this time of year?

Yes - but not going more than 1000km ( 625 miles ) - might have over estimated the trip length Smile
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My extended family has not gathered at Christmas in a long time. Until last year my mom's family got together in early January, but then my aunts finally surrendered oversight of the event to my cousins, who decided attendance might be better if it were scheduled for a warmer date. So now we get together in late June. The extended family is so big now that we can't all fit into anyone's home, so we rent a church hall.

My dad's family always gathered in October to celebrate my grandfather's birthday. Grandpa died 40 years ago, but the October reunion continues.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think adults are supposed to collapse in an exhausted stupor after all the effort they've made to make it a "perfect" Christmas for the kids. Fortunately, you're so tired you can sleep through the whines caused by 1: fights over who got the best toys 2: the tragic accident of a broken toy 3: the heartbroken sorrow that occurs when it turns out that you forgot to buy batteries for the batteries-not-included items and 4: vomiting caused by over stuffing with goodies and too much excitement.

Merry Christmas!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue sounds like a man who speaks from experience!!! Nervous
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
My extended family has not gathered at Christmas in a long time. Until last year my mom's family got together in early January, but then my aunts finally surrendered oversight of the event to my cousins, who decided attendance might be better if it were scheduled for a warmer date. So now we get together in late June. The extended family is so big now that we can't all fit into anyone's home, so we rent a church hall.

My dad's family always gathered in October to celebrate my grandfather's birthday. Grandpa died 40 years ago, but the October reunion continues.

Cool.

My patriarchal clan had a reunion for most of my life. Or as long as I can remember, until recently. All of the descendants of my great-grandfather ( who was born shortly after the Civil War ) were invited. Usually outdoors in August. True, I don't know most of them, but by making a determined effort to sit with a different family each year to eat, I made connections.

Sadly, the family that organized it lost their firstborn son unexpectedly to mysterious circumstances ( suicide or drug overdose, perhaps ) and doesn't have the inclination to do much of anything anymore. I don't blame them, really. My grandparents never got over my father's untimely death. Kind of disrupted the reservation process. I don't know if it will be revived. People mostly socialize with their own 1st cousins anyway.

It's hard to keep those streaks going. Cherish your family tradition.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68625 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Mr. Blue sounds like a man who speaks from experience!!! Nervous

Well, speaking as a former child and current parent, I've been on both sides of the fence.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Xmas Reply with quote

Due to the passing of the King, Xmas here has been very downgraded. To be honest on Xmas day I didn't even realize it till I flicked passed Fox news. But to everyone a Happy Holidays Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused, what King are you referring to?
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I am confused, what King are you referring to?

I'm just guessing, but I suspect Parks is talking about the late king of Thailand (may he rest in peace).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: