Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What is Success?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you define success in SMP?
Gotta get 126 Points
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Must play as Swashbuckler
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rescure all 4, get Monty, get married, decent health
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would. A map full of Havanas. I'd be using a lot of local Pirates, Indians, and hammering the space bar outside the city.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it fixed so you couldn't just do that unless your nice to the pirates. That means if you have a negative relationship with them they aren't going to help you or even fix your ship. About all you could do is the tavern and that's it in the pirate havens unless you become positive. The Indians needed those items before they would help you. Now fill up the Carib with Marquis Montalban's and you got the makings of the easiest game you ever played. To make it even easier add those faster dance steps into it as well.
PatrickJohnson
Powder Monkey

11 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
I define success by how much fun I had, out-of-game.

In game, I used to the think like the OP, 126 was where it was at. Recently i discovered over the counter phentermine alternatives, I realized the same thing, as well. Now, in-game i everyday, I define success as rescuing my family, avenging them, and maxing out wealth points. Anything else can't work the ] (including love) is bonus.

That's my tagret too, while playing any game. If I had fun while playing the game, I and the game both are successful. The missions, health and love all are secondary (but yes, essential.)

Last edited by PatrickJohnson on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Patrick! This board has been around since 2003, glad you found us and hope you stick around.
My goal is to finish at a fairly young age (30 or less) in decent health, making sure I rescue all for relatives and avenge Monty, also marry a Beautiful Daughter. If I do that, it is success. Hopefully I will make Governor.
humbe
Powder Monkey

5860 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main goal is of course just to have fun.. Initially, fun can be had by just exploring the game..

When starting to get competitive though, it's nice to find some challenge one can see how well one can do.

Currently, I'm testing Swashbuckler, how fast to get to 126 fame. Last attempted ended here. Ending a 1940 game with 6th of July 1945. Tested 1940 to start off with Mailrunner. Tiresome to get down Montalban's crew very low with max 12 cannons, and needed an extra boat to carry troops to invade Montalban's city, but otherwise it was awesome.

Learnings:
- I got 8200 acres even though I tried to get promotions as soon as I was allowed one, and I ended up with ~150.000 gold more than needed for max fame, while just trying to get to max fame as fast as possible. I should just buy unneeded items to up chance of getting the once I want, and sink more ships rather than getting slowed down into ports.
- Really useful to get a beautiful daughter u pin gulf of mexico, which can be married and repeatedly danced with to get all the incan city maps without a ton of sailing. I didn't have one this game, and it delayed the game considerably.
- Takes quite a while sailing between cities of all nations to get promotions once you are in line. Would probably be useful to change nationalities of some cities close together and close to pirates/indians to cut down on time.

(I'm not a strict never reload player.)

Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did all that in five years? As long as I'm having fun i call it a good game, life isn't a destination, it's a journey. I think setting up rules of being happy is what tanked me as a teenager, sigh. And a love like that, you know you can't be sad.
thespyguy
Powder Monkey

444 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's usually getting a million gold, thus being able to have an immortal army of a thousand pirates. You can just play the game forever then I guess.
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're too busy focused on your destination you're not able to enjoy your surroundings. And in the blink of an eye, a day is gone. Sad pirate.

And with a love like that you know you should be glad glad glad glad.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Waldo Emerson - Life is the journey, not a destination

To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.

Conan The Barbarian: What is best in life...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUu3_pLPUE

"...to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women...!"

According to the User comments

It originated from Genghis Kahn.

One day in the pavilion at Karakorum he [Genghis Kahn] asked an officer of the Mongol guard what, in all the world, could bring the greatest happiness.
"The open steppe, a clear day, and a swift horse under you," responded the officer after a little thought, "and a falcon on your wrist to start up hares."
"Nay," responded the Kahn, "to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best."

Sir Terry Pratchett's Ghenghiz Cohen:
"hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper"

Conan the Barbarian - What is best in life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI

- Conan, what is best in life?
- To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters." -Genghis Khan
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To love and be loved. To be happy with what you have, not what you don't have. True happiness isn't material, it comes from within. You are your own happiness. It's not physically what you own, just what holds a special place inside you. And for all this it's just a trick of the mind (a very hard trick, but achievable)
Hagr11d
Powder Monkey

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean who doesn't like sacking and looting your father-in-law's city Very Happy
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents lived in a lovely timber-framed farm building in the center of Germany. The garden is huge and at its end, there’s a river.

I used to visit them often, enjoying this beautiful place every day. And every night, I played Pirates! Outside the darkness has fallen across the village, there was just an old fashioned street-lamp I could spot from my window and in this atmosphere I really dived into the Caribbean. I did this for 11 years, over and over again.

Then the pandemic started. Regarding the poor state of health of my mother, I hadn’t stayed at my parents place for over a year. I returned last summer but soon after my mother suffered a heart attack. She went to a nursing home and never came back home again. She died last March.

Now, my father ist living alone at this place at the age of 91. I visit him regularly but there’s usually a lot to do so I wasn’t in the mood for playing Pirates! so far. But things have become calmer now. Right now I’m on my way to this place and I will give Pirates! a new try.

Through the years, I made some kind of movie out of my Pirates! games, I imagined a story of a big conspiracy of Monty, Raymondo, Henry Morgan and the Gouverneurs of the ancient aristocratic cities like Santo Domingo, Havana and so on… To cope with them, I need information of an old historian who started to live with the Indians (so I imagine) and I need the help of the free people of Tortuga (so I need to make this town rich and big). It's a bit like combining an Assassin's Creed story with Sid Meier's Pirates! The aim is to get rid of all the bad guys in a certain order, capture their cities to found a freedom pirate state in Hispaniola and Cuba. It’s easy to see, this style of gaming uses a lot of imagination and the reward is to dive deep into a fantasy world.

Success would be, I my eyes, to open the door to this world again. This really would make me happy. It feels weird to write all this down here on the other hand it's feels like the right place to share this...
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat vision. Are you considering doing this as a fan-fiction?
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Neat vision. Are you considering doing this as a fan-fiction?

In fact, I already started to write the story down (just for myself), beginning with the great-grandfather of our hero sailing with Francis Drake during the blockade of Cartagena 1572. He met a descendant of Rodrigo de Bastidas who lived among Cimarrones and Indians and created secret maps of the big Indian Cities and so it all started;)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be the opening movie seen text being modded here. The movie can be modded as well but you have to use the correct format. Changing the format in the executable didn’t work for me as doing that causes the game to skip playing the movie altogether. All you really have to do is go to YouTube and download a scene with bargirls dancing. Edit it to the same length then convert it to the same format as the original movie. Then write the text in the opening_enu . Boom you be in business. Try to keep the text similar to the original or expect a little trail and error getting the movie and text to mesh together good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: