Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Salty's 2017 Caribbean Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Salty's 2017 Caribbean Campaign Reply with quote

We returned home late last night from another action-packed and fun-filled adventure in the Caribbean, sailing the Spanish Main once again. Our flagship was a LARGE Dutch Fluyt called the Holland America Oosterdam. There were 1913 passengers and another 800 hardy crew aboard. To retrace our steps on Sid Meier's Pirates here's how to do it:

Open an old, successful game so you don't have to worry about stopping for food.

Start in Tamp Bay - west coast of Florida half way up the peninsula.

Sail due south to Florida Keys - this is now called Key West.

Then sail southeast and sail along the coast of Cuba all the way and go across to the Island of Hispanola and sail past Tortuga and all the way on to San Juan. After visiting San Juan, sail east to the next group of islands, the are the Virgin Islands and we stopped in St. Thomas at the capital city of Charlotte Amalie.

Then sail south and a bit east to St. Martin. The sail west then south, sail past St. Kitts and Nevis, sail past Monserrat and past Guadaloupe. The island south of Guadaloupe is called Dominica and we spent a day there. Very beautiful island!

After visiting Guadaloupe, we sailed west and a bit south in a straight line to Curacao. We saw no land along the way until we sailed past Bonnaire. We spend the day in Curacao and had a fine time there! That evening we saild the short distance to the islands just west of Curacao - this is the island of Aruba and it is another true Gem of the Spanish Main!

After visiting Aruba, we set sail North and a bit West to Grand Cayman Island, which is west of Jamaica and Port Royale. Another wonderful small island in the Caribbean.

After our day there we set sail for the long voyage home back to Tampa by sailing off the west coast of Cuba and then a straight line North East back to Tampa.
The entire voyage lasted two weeks and we sailed many, many miles! Do this in the SMP game and it will probably take 6 months to a year! Our weather was fantastic! No big waves at all and just a smattering of rain. Lots of lovely wenches and so much good food a rum !!!!! Wish the whole gang here could come along. Good to be back though! Wink
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the recap, Salty!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually take 1 week cruises, and we almost always find one night of rough seas or weather.

Looking forward to the rum report.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland America lets you order a bottle (or two) of rum and they will have it in your room waiting. I did this and they had a 1-liter bottle of Myers's rum waiting in my room. I drank it all during the cruise and I had a bag of about 20 to 25 ounces of left -over rum that was a mixture of Mount Gay and Cuban Bacardi rum that I drank as well.

So, I had about 60 ounces of rum in the room plus I went on four catamaran/snorkeling trips where you ride in the cat and then dive for an hour or so then then they open the bar and start serving rum punch. I had to have 4 or 5 drinks each time so I waddled back to the cabin and lay down for a while after lunch. What a fun life!!!! They used their local rums on these trips in St. Thomas, St. Martin, Aruba and Grand Cayman Island.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a catamaran door near Dead Chest once. The rum punch was so strong it made people cough when they drank it. One was more than enough to get drunk on, and my wife gave me hers, too.

I don't order rum punch any more.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Spanish Galleon I filmed in San Juan!

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice picture of Key West, Florida (Florida Keys). The Fortress you see in the foreground is a Civil War era Fortress. It was not around in the Golden Age of Piracy.

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the bridges that connect the Florida Keys to the Mainland. They are beautiful and fun to drive, just don't get caught here in a Hurricane!!

Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos.
Looking at that galleon, it's no wonder so many were lost in heavy weather.

That fort photo reminds me of the biplane tour I took the last time I was there. We spotted a shark.

The ocean sure is different there than the shores of the mid-Atlantic states.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the gallon. Would make a good in game background provided some of the people could be either replaced or blocked out.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a BIG Galleon I photographed in Malaga, Spain in November 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: