Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Florida Keys - Tierra Firme Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Florida Keys - Tierra Firme Fleet Reply with quote

The most famous of the Spanish Treasure Fleets to flounder and sink in a hurricane was the Tierra Firme Fleet that sank on September 5th, 1622. The most famous ships that sank was the Nuestra Senora de Atocha and the Santa Margarita. Here is a map of the ships sailing and sinking:

Unfortunately, there are no old buildings from Florida Keys, so I can't show you where the Governor would meet any successful pirates that showed up there. However, I can show you some of the booty from the Atocha and Santa Margarita. Here is some of the good stuff that Mel Fisher's team recovered starting in 1985 after a 16 year search for the wrecks:

How about this?

Emeralds were not on the ship's manifest. They were smuggled back to Spain by the Officers and crew members.

Here is what a gold bar looks like:

Now THIS is what we pirates are after!!! That is the instant money machine, the best of the best! You can afford the good rum and women with bars of gold like that!

How about silver, want to see some of that? They sent silver either as coin "pieces of eight (or four) Reales" or bars of silver that weighted about 70 POUNDS !!!!!

Seventy Pound bars of silver - shown by Mel Fisher himself:

And here are the coins, real pieces of eight (and four):

Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! There would have been a lot of drunk pirates and rich prostitutes running around if they could have gotten hold of that instead of the hurricane

You might get a crack at all of that if you put those ship names in your Spanish ship text. Anyway thanks for this, San Juan, St Martian and others. Very interesting. Oh by the way this stuff is the most important and interesting but if you find time share the bikini girl pictures you took at all those fascinating places. Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the girls in Curacao....

Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

That would look nice over your Dutch ballroom fireplace. While you were in the Carib dd you try the false mustache or other disguise to sneak into Havana ?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for the mustache. I came waving gold bars and they were MOST receptive to my arrival. Some of these ports are tax and duty free. I bought another watch in St. Thomas from the famous Little Switzerland shop. Great deals down there!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
No need for the mustache. I came waving gold bars and they were MOST receptive to my arrival. Some of these ports are tax and duty free. I bought another watch in St. Thomas from the famous Little Switzerland shop. Great deals down there!

As long as it really is a Swiss watch then your ok. Over in Nam some department stores even sold knock off Rolex's. Steet peddelers would try selling knockoff zippos and Ray Ban sunclasses. As long as you know where to buy and I think you do then you'll be just fine.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures.

Thanks for reminding me of the museum. I think they had some bar or chains shot, didn't they? It's been a while. My hat is off to Fisher, he used his head and did a lot of work, only to spend a lot on lawyers once he was successful. Convinced me I didn't want to be a treasure hunter.

Last time I was there I took the biplane tour, which was a cool perspective. I saw a shark because I could see to the bottom of the ocean thereabouts.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

OK, I recognize the barmaid and the governor's daughter, but who is the third?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is one of my "Working" girls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: