Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

St. Kitts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: St. Kitts Reply with quote

I visited St. Kitts on a cruise in 2009. It is a popular cruise stop. I will post some pictures of it here. The best part about St. Kitts is Brimstone Hill Fortress - a huge military fortress on the north end of the island. Although it appears impregnable, it was taken by siege warfare and the island changed hands several times. Here's the first picture of Brimstone Hill Fortress:

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture from inside the fort looking north. You can see the ramparts and a cannon. Off in the distance is St. Eustasius, which lies just north of St. Kitts. In SMP, it shows St. Eustasius off to the northeast of St. Kitts but in real life that is not true.

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another picture inside the fortress, this shows one of the artillery battery locations. The English had lots of cannons there!

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Point

By 1626 both the British and the French settlements on St. Kitts were expanding at such a rate that the Carib community began to perceive a threat to its very existence on the island. Joining forces with Caribs from a number of other islands, Chief Tegremare prepared to attack the European settlements. Meanwhile, despite growing animosity between the French and the British, the two communities put aside their differences in order to mount a combined, pre-emptive attack on the Carib. As a result, over 2,000 Carib Indians were massacred at Bloody Point.

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gives an overview of the important sites on St. Kitts and Nevis:

Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. Didn't see the governors daughter in any of them but I will say it was informative and interesting.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool.

Looking in the distance from St. Marten is as close as I ever got, but it seemed to be more of a desert than St. Kitts. Or maybe it was the time of year.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is amazing is sailing through the islands at night. From the deck of a cruise ship you can see four or five islands at once in the distance - or should I say you can their lights off in the distance. Lots of fun, I never get tired of it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: