Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

differences between Steam Version and CD version?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: differences between Steam Version and CD version? Reply with quote

My son-in-law told me there was a difference between the Steam version of Pirates and the CD version, specifically that 'more things can happen' when you are on a long voyage (long trip between posts). He didn't elaborate.
Does anybody have any comments on this?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt many people have played both versions since owning both of them wouldn't make tons of sense. There certainly some differences in the executable but I have very serious doubts that any of those are changes would make the game any different to play. I certainly wouldn't think Firaxis would have made any changes to the game for Steamers and if Steam was allowed to make changes of that kind then they are missing a huge opportunity by not advertising their game being different from the CD version. Adammills challenge pack is supposed to work on either version and basically all it does is spit out a new executable that will work in any Windows SMP game. Doesn't sound like there could be much differences to me. Of course I have been wrong before so who knows but the fact he didn't elaborate on those changes doesn't help convince me that there could be a difference in the game. That's just my two cents worth but who knows somebody else might come on board and tell us if you by this or that version all the barmaids disappear into a smoky haze after you talk to them and poof reappear on your lap. That would be the version to buy.
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is one huge difference. The CD Version is way more stable. I borrowed the discs from my friend and they work just fine. My steam version however, has problems with certain resolutions and crashes instantly when I minimize the game. Also it's not compatible with the Steam Overlay altough it's bought from Steam.

(OS: Windows 10)
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference between the two is the Steam version doesn't have the hippy shipwright and merchant or the flower girl barmaid. That add-on is available for download on some official SMP site somewhere out there on the interweb, but can't remember where. And I have both versions, picked up a new disc at wallyworld in one of the bargain bins for 5 bucks. Smile
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where one can download this "Addon"?
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. It's called the Theme Pack, got some cool music as well. Here's a couple of links.

https://gamefront.online/files/listing/pub2/sid-meiers-pirates/Theme_Packs/

http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=7423
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfredo, you certainly have the touch of bringing out the best of the game and this board! Loki rarely posts but when he does it is absolutely golden! See what I mean about this board, it is awesome!
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try my best!

Very Happy
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy mates! Thought I might pop in to post what info I have so far as a Steam version user (1.02/Steam). I've only had this version for a month or so, after having last used the CD version ca. '08 (which I may still have around here though I no longer have a "deck" that will run it.)

Much of the time during which I've had the Steam version has been taken up with modding the game textures so I haven't yet completed a career on that release. That said, I will offer some observations and/or inquiries based on what I have experienced so far.

First off, I noticed that the scenarios are gone in the Steam release (e.g. Drake's voyage). Are these still present on CD? If they are included, would it be possible at least in principle to transfer the scenarios (which are essentially save-game files iirc) from CD user to a Steam user given platform compatibility between the respective parties?

Secondly, I also experience the crash problem related by Alfredo, with some difference. Alfredo describes an immediate crash to desktop (CTD) upon minimizing, which sounds to me like he's running in windowed mode.(?) I run the game full-screen and can alt-tab to desktop with the game seeming to remain running in background, but get a runtime error when attempting to return to game. As yet I've located no solution to this other than to not alt-tab to desktop. Sounds to me like this is the same bug being manifested differently due to differing run modes, but result is the same. Curious if Alfredo got any error message?

What is meant by "problems with certain resolutions"? On display or file format? I've found that I can't seem to use 32-bit dds on at least some textures, but dxt5 works. Since some of the mods I've recently downloaded clearly use 32-bit dds for these same files, something has to be wrong at my end. Either there is a difference in the "resolution tolerance" (or whatever it is) between the two versions, or I'm mucking things up in making my dds files. I suspect it's the latter since the downloaded mods seem to work fine if dropped in as is. I'm using an (apparently) older version of dxtbmp to make my dds's (4.00.95) maybe that's it? This problem doesn't cause any runtime conflicts, the textures simply default to vanilla.

Other'n that I haven't noticed anything during gameplay that I hadn't seen in previous version(s), certainly no unusual events. In fact it's remarkable how little this game has changed in the 30+ years since its first release!

Edit: And you may now keelhaul me for thread necro if it suits you. Sailor
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I speak for the other half dozen or so survivors marooned here on Cutlass Isle.

No Spam, No Foul.

A little thread necro on is topic fine, we're always happy to see somebody attempting to breathe life into the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: