Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Salty's Next Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Salty's Next Campaign Reply with quote

Our next campaign takes us on an airplane ride to Amsterdam, where we will spend two days there and then take a train down to Rotterdam, the busiest port in the world. Once there, we jump on the ship the Holland America Rotterdam and sail to the West Coast of Norway visiting Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen, a return trip to Rotterdam, then back to Flam, Stavanger, Kristiansand, and Oslo. Then we sail back to Rotterdam and take the train to the airport to fly back to Seattle. It is a 17 day campaign and should be an amazing journey.

In Amsterdam, I will see some of the very warehouses and docks were the Dutch Fleet operated out of and brought the riches of the Americas back to Europe.
The highlight, of course, is seeing the Norwegian Fjords, which are reputed to be the best sight to see in the whole world. I will keep an eye out for pirates and check in from time to time. I will take pictures and put the best of the best up here for all to see.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for
(A) Vikings in longboats
(B) the Swedish Bikini Team
(C) Norwegian Blue Parrots (beautiful plumage, but they tend to be dead).

Have a safe and happy trip!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norwegian blue parrots die when you take them out of their native habitat because they pine for the fjords.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We leave in two days - on May 10th.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to some fjord pictures. I think Misty Fjords national monument is the prettiest place I've ever been.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Misty Fjords is amazing! I have flown over it twice in a float plane and landed each time. I have also gone up Tracy Arm Fjord and Endicott Arm and both were nice. I have seen fjords in Alaska and also the Fjordland area of New Zealand, including Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound and Dusky(?) Sound. Very pretty scenery. Alaska has the big glaciers and wildlife. I expect the fjords in Norway to be spectacular.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I hope to visit the fjords of Chile some day. That would complete the "Grand Slam" of fjords. Fjords happen when the mountains run into the ocean and the ocean is between the mountains. This occurs in only four places in the world - Norway, Alaska, the South Island of New Zealand and the Southern part of Chile.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it takes glaciers to make them. Coastal mountains in cooler climates so that the winter snow pack doesn't melt away every summer. When it becomes a glacier, it carves out the spaces between the mountains. Sometimes it's very deep, like the Lynn canal at Skagway. Sometimes it's silted up like the Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage. Greenland has some, too.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of hookers in Amsterdam. Check them out. Smile
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Plenty of hookers in Amsterdam. Check them out. Smile

I saw some of them walking around towards the Red Light district. They were well put together but not exactly the "girl next door" type. Remember, I am with Mrs. Salty Dog.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, a beer report in lieu of a rum report, then? Arr!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer report, you got it. I just landed in Amsterdam!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rained pretty hard today so we took train and buses to get to the fishing town of Volendam. Very cute place. WE visited the Volendam museum and saw how they lived and fished there. Then we went back into Amsterdam and rode a ferry boat and went to the beautiful town center. We visited the docks where the famous Dutch Fleet left from and we saw the recreation of the old sailing ship The Amsterdam, a tall ship like they had in the Dutch Navy. Very impressive place!!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had two beers on draft today. First was good old Heineken, which is good but not great. The second was a local beer called Jogen and it excellent. Very full bodied lager styled beer with strong flavors in it. I think you would like it!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we will take the train for an hour's ride from AMsterdam to Rotterdam and board out ship - the Holland America Line "Rotterdam". To begin our trip Northward. I have been told the ship is full. Pretty sure most of the passengers will be Dutch.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: