Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Liberty Ship Cruise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Liberty Ship Cruise Reply with quote

Last Saturday I took a five-hour living history cruise aboard the SS John W. Brown, a WW2-era liberty ship. The liberty ships were mass produced to carry war materials and US troops overseas during WW2. Of the 2,700 that were built, only two are still functional. The Brown was built in Baltimore and now is docked there. She is maintained by a crew of volunteers, including a teenage boy from my church and his father. They take her out twice a year for living history cruises to raise funds for the ship's upkeep.

During the cruise we were able to visit most parts of the ship, including the engine room. We were entertained with music from the period, and we got to see a demonstration of the guns. Unfortunately, it was cloudy, very windy, and often drizzly, so the flyover by period aircraft was canceled.

I took a lot of pictures. Eventually I'll probably post most of them on my blog, but that will take a while. I will post a few selected photos here tonight, and more as I get them edited. (My camera takes very large pictures. These are about half the original size.)

Manning the 3-inch/50-caliber stern gun.

Brownie!

America's Sweethearts, who sang in the fashion of the Andrews Sisters

Fort McHenry in the foreground, with the Baltimore skyline in the background.

More to come!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article about an earlier cruise on the Brown, with more and better photos than I took. He especially got some good pictures of the engine room.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sailor girl would look good painted on your SMP ship.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: