Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Savegame: Pacific Exploration / Anchored in Panama
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
AlfredoAnaltorpedo wrote:
Shouldn't I go for a Ship of the Line? I used a normal sloop and sometimes canoes during my game. Still, thanks for the help and this awesome welcome.

The War Galleon in this savegame was used to rape Gibraltar. Very Happy

I think Salty gave great advice for a beginner.

War canoes are arguably the best, although they kind of spoil my immersion in the game. They are the fastest. That saves a lot of time traversing the map over the course of the game. They are also the weakest, it doesn't take many canon balls to sink one. You should be a good fencer to use one.

I prefer the ship of the line, because I like to carry enough crew to capture cities and re-shape the map. But spawning one can burn game time, and I often settle for a frigate or large frigate.

I would say both the War Canoe and Ship of the Line are advanced strategies, and you might want to try the various other ships before you go that route. Why? because you probably won't be satisfied with other ships once you get the hang of the SOL or WC.

Agreed, that's why I suggested he stick with his Sloop and then upgrade first to a Sloop of War and then a Royal Sloop by "liberating" them from the Spanish! I played this way for a whole year before taking Gun Pierson's advice and going with the small boats. Now, I'm spoiled. I always use a small boat to speed around the world. It's like driving a Ferrari vs. an SUV.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's safe to say that not every time you play the game your going to get a SOTL so when opportunity comes I normally take it. Yes there are ways to increase your chances of spawning a SOTL but you might be to damn old to use the thing by the time it comes. Just think of a ship as a tool. Most pirates used smaller ships like a sloop for speed to both catch up to merchant ships or outrun enemy's like the navy. Another thing the bigger the boat and crew the smaller the share of loot each gets. Most loot was trade items like sugar, etc anyway which had to be sold for a discount before dividing the plunder anyway. Bottom line is you have to figure out what you like to do and then pick the boat that suites the purpose. Using automobiles for example, if you want to pick up women then get a red corvet. If you have a wife and kids then get a mini van. Now back to ships, if you want to plunder the cities one after one then you must build a navel force strong enough to do so. If you want to be a simple pirate then go with a sloop.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I told you this a while back but I actually played a game one time until the age of 80 and finished with 8 Ships of the Line! I'm probably the only one to do that. Haven't seen many since then, probably cause I like to retire early.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember getting two SOTL one right after the other but I a can't remember whats the most I've gotten in a game. Nowhere near 8 that's for sure
Panharith
Powder Monkey

13 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I binge played Pirates! again. My mission was to besiege and capture Gibraltar for the French King (I'm a rolleplay kinda guy) in order to get my 24 Wealth points and to return to Guadeloupe to my hot booty.

EDIT: Deleted links
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panharith wrote:
Yesterday I binge played Pirates! again. My mission was to besiege and capture Gibraltar for the French King (I'm a rolleplay kinda guy) in order to get my 24 Wealth points and to return to Guadeloupe to my hot booty.

EDIT: Deleted links

Welcome to Hooked on Pirates. Smile
If you wish to continue to be a member here, I suggest you stop posting links in your siggie. Mad Continuing to do so will get you banned. Sad
Very respectfully,
fleetp (moderator)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: