Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Salty got a new computer!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Salty got a new computer! Reply with quote

After 9 years I lost my old computer and got a new one. The old one had one of the very first I7 chips in it - the Model 920 at 2.67 GHz, it had 6 gigs of RAM and a video card so I could run two monitors. I now have a new Dell XPS with an i7-7700 at 3.6 GHZ and 16 gigs of RAM and a video card. Now I am fast again! I'm getting everything set up the way the old computer was but that will take a couple of weeks to get it right. Good stuff and farewell old computer!
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. We expect you to make twice as many posts now. Smile
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new hardware!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new computer. So have you gave your new girl a name yet?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, her name is Lucky and she is a buxom blonde in my
Tavern, she runs the operation upstairs and does VERY well! I stay on her good side and she shares the profits with me as well as fringe benefits! Life is good!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, my first computer was an Apple /// in 1982. Then I got a Mac, a Mac Plus, a Mac SE30, a couple of different Powermacs, the switched to a PC in 1995 and I rode up the ladder of PC's. Sometimes I bought state of the art and other times I skipped over different CPU's and bought the next generation. I remember paying $1500 for a Corvus hard drive that was a whopping 20 megabytes. It was state of the art. Ditto for a $3000 Apple laser printer that printed 300dpi. That first Apple /// used 143 Kilobyte floppy 5.25 inch disks and we used to use a hole punch to clip our a corner and use the single sided disks on both side to avoid paying the steep premium for true double sided floppy disks.

Then the Mac used the exotic 3.5 inch plastic disks. I bought the Corvus hard drive and put up a bulletin board. It was called Mac Elite and I had developers and really hard core pirates from all over the country calling up my house to swap new software at a whopping 600 baud rate. Eventually we bought newer modems and got up to 19.2 Kbaud but that was later on. I had some really famous Pirates and Developers calling my board every day. It was amazing. I used to have a briefcase full of 3.5 inch plastic floppies I would carry around and of course visit other Pirates to swap "Wares". It was quite the scene in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

Now all is different. I suppose people copy the new games but it is still different. They used to cost a LOT to buy the new games.

Speaking of games, the biggest one I ever saw was called Wizardry - Proving Ground of the Underlord. It positively RULEE the gaming world in the early 1980's and launched the role-playing computer game industry. I positively captured our imagination and time!

I am amazed the i7 led the pack for so long. Now I see they have an i9 chip. Interesting.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I had to break the new machine in right so I loaded up SMP and applied the 1.02 patch. Then I fired up SMP and selected Rogue, 1660 and English but this time I sailed into Port Royale so I sailed into port and luckily all three nations were at war with Spain, so I went towards Santiago and bagged 3 Trade Galleons and was off and running. I captured a French Pinnace to get my small boat and I am happily zipping around the Spanish Main again!
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you, Salty, may the new vessel serve you well.

My first "deck" was a C64, and boy was I glad when I'd scrounged up the dough to afford the external drive for those 5.25" floppies to replace the cassettes!
Laughing
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first time I played any games the best I can remember was on a cartridge console called Intellivision. It was kind of state-of-the-art at the time but wouldn’t be now. I didn’t really know anything much about computers until I was grown up and working. I think the first one was compaq I paid a fortune for only to let viruses and improper upkeep wipe it out in a few months. Of course being single with no bills I bought another and another before I learned to take care of it.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the new gear Salty! It's always a good feeling to have a new PC.

Btw my first computer was a Commodore Amiga 500 and guess what game I played on it? That's right, Pirates. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: