Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

X-COM (UFO) remake!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
X-com was indeed quite a marvellous game, even though where Turn-Based Tactics are concerned, I still vote for Jagged Alliance.

But seeing where Aftermath went, I think it's clear that another X-com remake can be another devastating blow to the series, and none of us want that. Don't forget that Terror from the Deep was basically a revamp of the first game, and there is very little need to do that again. Heck, I still play X-Com for Windows, and I don't see a reason to remake. Then again, I didn't see any reason to remake Pirates! either. Heh, was I wrong.

UFO was a fantastic game. If there is a remake and it isn't changed but the graphics I would buy it at once.
ToeJoe
Powder Monkey

1607 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: UFO2000 Reply with quote

It is not a remake, but it is modified to play quick game against other players via internet. I enjoyed playing games with my brother. More info at : http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: UFO2000 Reply with quote

ToeJoe wrote:
http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/

That is the multiplayer version I spoke of. It's not that great. I mean, if you just wanted multiplayer of the combat style of X-Com, Laser Squad and the newer Laser Squad: Nemesis can handle that. When a game succesfully combines the geoscape management and combat, then they'll have something. One of the key ingredients to X-Com combat is destructable objects and terrain. There was nothing more fun than shooting the floor out from under one of your guys to save him from death, or to drop an alien. While this was doable in UFO Defense and TFTD, it was most fun in Apocalypse. In an alien raid on the slums, you could get those maps where the entire building was supported by 4 columns. I'd spend hours carving out grenade holes in an effort to drop the whole building in one turn with a mass coordinated explosion, killing all aliens, and as a side effect civilians. But it was quite a sight.
Dezerin
Powder Monkey

351 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havent found it yet theres a great site ive been a member of for a year or so which is all about Ufo enemy unknown (Im from the uk so Im biased towards that title Laughing ) It has lots of links and downloads to expand your gaming and resonable infomation on any upcoming projects in the area, so if you want a look heres the link
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/

theres a few more links I have for my precious xcom games but you will find them all on that website anyway so I wont bother putting them here.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrategyFirst is going to publish, within the next half year, the long-awaited sequel to Jagged Alliance, which will feature a realtime/turnbased action style that has been long overdue in the turn-based tactical genre, while maintaining all we loved about JA and adding even more insanity to it all. I myself am extremely excited about this (though praying it doesn't blow up in my face heh heh). I've been writing design-theories for this playing style for a few years now, and this seems to be a great step in the same direction my own designs are proceeding - I hope that this game will help me gain an actual perspective on how well the hybrid method performs, and possibly give me insights on how to better my own designs. Some of you probably know how badly the pseudu-turnbased autostop interface in UFO Aftermath was (That whole game, for that matter, suffered mainly because of this), hoping they didn't fall into the same problems with the new JA. Visit strategyfirst.com to find more about this game (there's a news link in one of the lower frames on this page). Hope you like it.

P.S. This new game is called "E5 Brigade - New Jagged Union".

Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: The 1st X-Com is cool Reply with quote

I have fond memories of the 1st time I had to respond to an attack on the city. Green squad, trying to find out where the aliens are, creepy music creeping me out. Then when an alien ops into view, shoots from a plasma pistol killing a squadie & pops back... ahh! It was great fun!!!
IMHO the first X-Com is the best. No need to change the gameplay, just update the game for present systems.
IIRC X-Com was DOS-based, wasn't it?

Other fond memories:
- going "WTF!!" when the aliens first used the guided bomb thingy, wiping out half my squad in one go. I quickly learnt to spread them out more, lol.
- the first encounter with the alien that took over civilians/squaddies (Chrysalid?) and turned them into monsters. Thereafter, they were the first to be targeted & no effort was spared to kill them.
- laying waste to buildings etc on the tactical map, just for grins (insert evil laugh)
- laying waste to alien bases in base attack missions
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring back memories of many happy hours of gameplay, Hayashi. Some of my favorites:

- Forming a skirmish line to finish sweeping a city to find the last couple of aliens on a Terror Mission and having one of my squaddies turn around just to make sure there wasn't something back there. When his turn revealed a chrysalid in the space right behind him I actually jumped half out of my chair. There have not been many computer games that did that to me!

- Having my guy with a rocket launcher get to the head of the ramp on a mission and get taken over by aliens. I can still hear the cries of the rest of his team as he turned and fired an incendiary rocket right into the crowded troop bay...

- Finally getting to use those guided rockets against the aliens. I used to love punching a hole in the side of an alien ship with one rocket and sending the second right through the hole. Explosive fun!

- Having one of my bases invaded for the first time and realizing that having access points all over the base via hangers was not a good idea as my troopers were ruthlessly cut off, surrounded, and destroyed.
Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Squid wrote:
- Having one of my bases invaded for the first time and realizing that having access points all over the base via hangers was not a good idea as my troopers were ruthlessly cut off, surrounded, and destroyed.

Yup, I learned to design the bases such that there's only one access point from the hangar into the rest of the base, thereby creating a chokepoint.

Ditto on using the rocket launcher on alien ships - I sometimes used them to create an "alternate entry" lol. Also firing into the elevator of the battleship, up into the second level before sending my squaddies in, a bit like chucking a grenade into a room before clearing it when fighting in a built up area.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1st X-Com is cool Reply with quote

Hayashi wrote:

There's a windows-based version that's been out for several years now.

As to playing experience - I started playing when I was fairly young (around 12, I think?), so at first I didn't really get the point in using tactical movement and keeping my units covered, and the subsequent horrible-failures eventually caused me to use a hex editor and modify the savegames to make all my men into superhumans with 255 in everything (LOL I couldn't figure out how to play properly but could easily figure out how to modify the savegames - go figure). The game was still very interesting to me, and I kept playing many more times until that point where I stopped editing and actually finished the game "clean". I guess I got really good at tactics playing Jagged Alliance Wink) Damn, what a game.
TFTD was a bit disappointing to me though, not really because it was more like "ufo 1.5", but more because it got really really hard to spot the aliens before they had a clear advantage over you, and that bit where it could take HOURS to find that last alien on the combat map. Ech.

oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1st X-Com is cool Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Hayashi wrote:

There's a windows-based version that's been out for several years now.

As to playing experience - I started playing when I was fairly young (around 12, I think?), so at first I didn't really get the point in using tactical movement and keeping my units covered, and the subsequent horrible-failures eventually caused me to use a hex editor and modify the savegames to make all my men into superhumans with 255 in everything (LOL I couldn't figure out how to play properly but could easily figure out how to modify the savegames - go figure). The game was still very interesting to me, and I kept playing many more times until that point where I stopped editing and actually finished the game "clean". I guess I got really good at tactics playing Jagged Alliance Wink) Damn, what a game.
TFTD was a bit disappointing to me though, not really because it was more like "ufo 1.5", but more because it got really really hard to spot the aliens before they had a clear advantage over you, and that bit where it could take HOURS to find that last alien on the combat map. Ech.

Headrock is back... hmm would that hex-editor be... PC Tools 1.0?
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldman wrote:
hmm would that hex-editor be... PC Tools 1.0?

LOOOOOL yes. Smile

CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I quickly learned playing X-COM was to modify the layout of my original base to minimize the entry points.

I did this by starting a new base elsewhere -- consisting of an access shaft, a hangar, a radar installation, and a storage facility for ammo -- while starting a new hangar in the original base adjacent to the "north" hangar. When completed, I transfered one interceptor to the new base, sent the other planes flying out and back, and while they were gone scrapped the hangars at the southeast and southwest corners. It wasn't an ideal solution, but it did reduce the danger of nasty little Sectoids swarming all over the place.
Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGM3 wrote:
One thing I quickly learned playing X-COM was to modify the layout of my original base to minimize the entry points.

I did this by starting a new base elsewhere -- consisting of an access shaft, a hangar, a radar installation, and a storage facility for ammo -- while starting a new hangar in the original base adjacent to the "north" hangar. When completed, I transfered one interceptor to the new base, sent the other planes flying out and back, and while they were gone scrapped the hangars at the southeast and southwest corners. It wasn't an ideal solution, but it did reduce the danger of nasty little Sectoids swarming all over the place.

Lol! In the mid-game the sectoids were the least of my worries.
Did anyone find any use for those robot thingys one could build? I only used them as sentries in the bases.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the tanks? They're pretty good, especially for bolstering teams with few or no experienced troops. Besides, they can take quite a beating, and the tank with the homing rocket launcher is mmm-mmm-good. Smile

Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand, "Lasersquad Nemisis", a very low budget title, was realeased by the same makers of X-Com. I havent playedit myself since I still have and often play the original X-com still, so I wasnt worried about getting it, but it might be worth looking into.

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: