Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

hex editing to make an "American mod
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. I don't have much experience if at all with hex editing. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it I wouldn't mind.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useing a hex editor isn’t hard. I never went to school for it. Main thing is to keep a copy of the .exe so if you do mess it up then it doesn’t matter. Just search inside the .exe for all the Dutch text and replace all of it with Yanks short for yankee since Dutch and American would be difficult to do because of the name size differences. Don’t replace the Dutch rutter though but everything else Dutch should be fine. Just imagine if you can do that and do a Marilyn Monroe barmaid wearing a stars and strips bikini why you’ll become a instant celebrity in the mod world.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea for the American mod would be to redo the ballroom with the first six presidents hanging up and George Washington crossing the Delaware over the fireplace. My French ballroom mod would help you out a great deal here. It’s a blue color and really you would just need to replace the bikini girl with the presidents and rename the ballrooms back to Dutch.
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I loaded up the exe in a hex editor and I have no idea how to proceed further. Is there any sort of tutorial thread for it?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bchevy04 wrote:
Ok, so I loaded up the exe in a hex editor and I have no idea how to proceed further. Is there any sort of tutorial thread for it?

I use HxD hex editor. I open the .exe or the pirate flag game launcher with it. Once you have that opened just go to search. a box will open and type dutch and make sure underneath the search for you have the datatype set for Text-string. Click all for which direction to search in then hit OK. That should take you right to the greedy Dutch. Change that to Amer. including the period since its a abbreviation . Go back to the top and hit search find again and keep changing and finding again but don't change the dutch rutter. leave that one alone. Trust me you'll get the hang of it. It's not hard and you can do it.
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
bchevy04 wrote:

I use HxD hex editor. I open the .exe or the pirate flag game launcher with it. Once you have that opened just go to search. a box will open and type dutch and make sure underneath the search for you have the datatype set for Text-string. Click all for which direction to search in then hit OK. That should take you right to the greedy Dutch. Change that to Amer. including the period since its a abbreviation . Go back to the top and hit search find again and keep changing and finding again but don't change the dutch rutter. leave that one alone. Trust me you'll get the hang of it. It's not hard and you can do it.

I tried that and I couldn't find "Dutch" as the basically the whole text output column was garbled text. I have the Steam version so maybe that has something to do with it.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Mill made the Challenge pack that spits out new executables that should work for both Steam and the box cds. That should take care of it. He has a website somewhere but I don’t have time to go looking for it at the moment. I will later if you can’t find it.
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Adam Mill made the Challenge pack that spits out new executables that should work for both Steam and the box cds. That should take care of it. He has a website somewhere but I don’t have time to go looking for it at the moment. I will later if you can’t find it.

Found it and the text works. Thanks!
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: got the mod to work but I’m still working on image manipulation. I added Washington crossing the Delaware over the fireplace but I still need to do the ballroom portraits and event flags. Since I don’t have photoshop and am limited to using gimp it could still be a while.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking when I was telling you about doing all this even though it sounded like cool stuff. Nobody pays much attention to me here since they all know I'm crazy but anyway I'm glad you are doing it and the more you mod the better you get and the faster. No need to hurry and I don't use Photoshop either.
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I was joking when I was telling you about doing all this even though it sounded like cool stuff. Nobody pays much attention to me here since they all know I'm crazy but anyway I'm glad you are doing it and the more you mod the better you get and the faster. No need to hurry and I don't use Photoshop either.

For the record I’m not doing the French ballroom thing. But as you may recall I was looking for a historically accurate flag pack to begin with so I at least want to do the flags.
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok one last thing as I’m still pretty new to this. How would I go about creating a patch for the game? Or should I just ask people to patch it manually? I don’t feel comfortable giving out the actual .exe for obvious reasons.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bchevy04 wrote:
Ok one last thing as I’m still pretty new to this. How would I go about creating a patch for the game? Or should I just ask people to patch it manually? I don’t feel comfortable giving out the actual .exe for obvious reasons.

I couldn't help you with a patch and most of us aren't going to know how to manually do it. You can find the .exe just about everywhere and even you found one. I must warn you though the last guy to upload it was thrown in the pen with the Swedish Bikini Team for a week.

Last edited by Pirate on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bchevy04
Powder Monkey

359 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh I guess I’ll just put directions for an “optional step for complete immersion” in the readme and leave it at that. I feel like that’s basically what Irish Jim did with his Ireland mod which is basically the closest thing to what I’m doing.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you rename the Dutch to?

Here is how I modded the .exe for the East Indies to get rid of the Caribbean.

ranked pirate in the Caribbean, and you are not!
ranked pirate in the East Indies, and you ain't!

ranked pirate in the Caribbean. Well, I am not impressed.
ranked pirate in the East Indies. Well, who gives a damn?

most notorious pirate in the Caribbean), sails
most popular pirate in the East Indies), sails

Pinnaces and barques with piratical intent are everywhere in the Caribbean.

Sloops and barques with piratical intent are everywhere in the East Indies.

You turn around and set sail for the heart of the Caribbean!
You get sober and set sail for the heart of the East Indies!

These hard-working immigrants seek a home in the New World
These half-naked immigrants seek a home in the East Indies
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: