Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Warship
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowltok
Powder Monkey

1038 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: New Warship Reply with quote

I have seen these on occasion, and my theory is that they are new ships coming from the old world to garrison ports. I suspect that they have smaller crews, and that picking them off before they get to port is a good way to get good ships without slogging through a few hundred men.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Slippery Jim
Powder Monkey

429 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess Sid's trying to be historically accurate, and that in the year you've reached in the game this new ship started to appear.

I don't have my manual with me, but does it say anything in there about it?
knowltok
Powder Monkey

1038 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
Don't know for sure, but I'd guess Sid's trying to be historically accurate, and that in the year you've reached in the game this new ship started to appear.

I don't have my manual with me, but does it say anything in there about it?

Not that I've seen. Mine is at home, but I've seen nothing on the various types of ship missions (smuggler, grain hauler, pirate hunter, etc.). Of course, most of them are pretty self explanitory.
jerkwater
Powder Monkey

209 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's actually a ship type, just a function. I think I've engaged these "New Warships" before, and they are just War Galleons or something. It's the same as seeing a "Pirate Hunter", but it's really just a sloop or something.
TheDS
Seaman

2085 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they are exactly what they say they are, and we're reading too much into it. I would guess that once the ship reaches a port, it's no longer New, and gets assigned a mission.

Hey, if you live in the Daytona beach / St. Augustine area, and you are interested in playing games, send me a note. I need a new gamer group!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
knowltok
Powder Monkey

1038 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDS wrote:
My guess is that they are exactly what they say they are, and we're reading too much into it. I would guess that once the ship reaches a port, it's no longer New, and gets assigned a mission.

I tend to agree, but I think I remember fighting one of these and finding that it didn't have the crew you would expect it to.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowltok wrote:
I tend to agree, but I think I remember fighting one of these and finding that it didn't have the crew you would expect it to.

You mean there was less crew?

Think of it as a ship straight out of the shipyard, on its way to a city where it will be assigned to a captain and get its full crew.
knowltok
Powder Monkey

1038 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
knowltok wrote:

You mean there was less crew?

Think of it as a ship straight out of the shipyard, on its way to a city where it will be assigned to a captain and get its full crew.

Yes, I think it was less. I haven't played enough to know for sure, but your logic is what I was thinking as well.
Fizz
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:

That's what I think it is too. I came across some ships that I had sold earlier. I imagine they all have a life cycle and some new blood has to be introduced once in a while.
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, it wasn't fully crewed? I hit two "new ships," both British SOL's and they had a full compliment of crew.
Gigot 2000
Powder Monkey

35 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say...
I got my first Ship of the Line from these "new warship". Seems like a large frigate at first. If I remember well it was an english one in the vicinity of St Kitts (seems many of us saw these ships over there). The crew was around 200 (which is low assuming you can have 450 with triple hammocks which it had). And it was easy to ...hum!... loan from the Navy with my large frigate.
And finally, this ship, fully upgraded, is a BOMB! Just imagine : 450 of crew, around 5 sec or so to reload your 48 guns. Ennemy ships dont stand a chance against you and I mean it, at swaschbuckler!!! I think its the best warship. You just need to handle the guns perfectly and then, piece of cake!
Next great thing to get is a wonderfull sub machine gun for those impossible to win fencing battle Laughing
stumpy
Powder Monkey

371 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: "New ship" Reply with quote

has popped into view a time or two. I checked my manual and finding no entry I merrily went about my business. Next time you can guarantee I will investigate more closely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jotte
Powder Monkey

235 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was comming over here to the Isle this night just to query about this "new ship" as if to it is a feature or if it is a bug. Smile I've seen several diffrent type of shipes carry this lable; Brig of war, Sloop, Fast Galleon and War Galleon at least.

The sloop was heading for Martinique as I intercepted it west of Nevis, but when it spotted me it started to run away north but my trusty Sloop of War "Courage" eventually caught up with it north of St. Martin. As I remember it didn't not have a full Sloop complement crew but only some 45 crewmen or so. And it had even fewer when I had bombarded it.... You can't run away to well with your rigging dragging along in the water. Twisted Evil
Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, the "New Warship" tag is exactly what is says, she is simply new fresh out of teh yards. She can be an older model like a Fast Galleon or such, hell I've seen a New Barque in my last career. Now, this is what you do with em though, is she is flying the colors of yoru enemies, blow her clean out of the water! It gets the attention of the country she belonged too since they never had a chance to get thier golds worth out of her. True be told, Im pretty sure it is directly tied to both the bounty placed on yoru head with nations and your fame points. I saw an immidiate and sizable reaction from Spain after I sank a series of "new" ships that crossed my path. After my third or forth I was worth 36,000 gold and I was being chased by hunters from every spanish port I sailed by. Im sure sinking those hunters didnt help matters much, but that is what they get for firing at me first.

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question. I am waiting for the game (not very patiently!) so won't be able to find this out for a while.

If a ship goes into a harbour and completes its mission, does it then disappear and any ships leaving that harbour will be freshly spawned? Or will that ship do it's business and leave the port on a new mission or heading?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: