Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Gamespot -New Sid Meier's Pirates! details
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Gamespot -New Sid Meier's Pirates! details Reply with quote

Firaxis confirms its hotly anticipated high-seas sequel will sport expanded role-playing elements.

Firaxis Games has released a few more details about Sid Meier's Pirates!, the forthcoming update of the 1987 classic buccaneer adventure. Like its predecessor, the game will let players step into the boots of pirate captain take to the high seas of the 17th Century Caribbean. It will also retain the original's mix of exploration, sea battles, ship commandeering, fort raiding, booty collecting, and hand-to-hand combat. Originally announced at last year's E3, the new game is also known to utilize the GameBryo 3D engine used by the Morrowind and Dark Age of Camelot series.

Firaxis' latest announcement confirms the new Pirates! will feature a much-expanded role-playing element with "multiple paths to a wealthy, happy retirement"--meaning, presumably, players can choose to between a benevolent, Jack Sparrow-like rogue or a heartless, Blackbeard-esque buccaneer. The company's release specifically mentioned a large cast of "interesting and dangerous characters" as well as a fame system that will let players expand their crew, fleet, and pile o' plunder as their "reputation and skills grow." The statement also confirmed a system of alliances with other pirate captains and that the game would have enhanced surround sound.

Unfortunately, more details on Sid Meier's Pirates! are scarce. The PC game is being published by Atari, and is scheduled for release later this year.

---this was posted 1/5/04 by www.gamespot.com----
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it sounds like old news, but Gamespot is putting their spin on it. Anyways, I'd hate to think that someone else is getting fed info besides us. Gamespot is a big website, but they aren't going to support the community as well as this site is.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its from the 5th of this month so it is old but was different from the other stuff I have read. I keep looking just in case someone does ahve more. So we can bring it here and have a one stop shop instead of having to do what i do and search through the trenches try to find moer information that what we already know.
I also was on a IGN site and decided to post there to let them know about our site. Hopefully it gets a few more to post with and share Pirates! information.
I am really hoping that we do become the premeire site for Sid Meier's Pirates!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I've been trying to get that across to Jeff but I'm not sure if he sees it the same way (yet). Don't get me wrong, Jeff's been very responsive and I have no complaints so far at all, but it looks like the big sites will get all the new stuff first. If you consider that for those sites it's "fire and forget" while for us it's what we live and breathe for and what builds the community, it doesn't sound like the best way to go. In any case, my reply to Jeff is long overdue, gona do that tonight and after that we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may get the information first, but they won't have what we will have. Which is a long standing and very entuastic group of people that will stand behind the Pirates! game. The reason of course giving it to them is that they are established sites that feed information out to the gaming community and most likely touch more people. Yet I think at least he could give it to us at the same time? Just a thought. and who knows if there is a Pirates! 2 we will be the first to know if we stay established and headfast in the direction I believe this site is going.
MarkQuinn
Powder Monkey

460 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better that new info goes to the big sites. They get the traffic. They produce the fans. Fans increase money flow to the Firaxis coffers. More money means more support for the game, expansions (can you see "Sid Meier's Pirates! Madagascar Expansion Pack??) etc.

KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Yet I think at least he could give it to us at the same time?

I'd have to agree with PF on this point. Most of these details that get sent to the larger games sites would have been sent electronically anyway, so why can't they just send the new details to Falconer also, knowing that this is the major Pirates! fansite.

As MarkQuinn mentioned, it is important to get the details sent to the big sites, to spread the word, but they shouldn't neglect the 'sure-sales' fans either.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Zamphyr
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Mark here. Any press releases, new info, screen shots, etc will go to the commercial sites. It is a business.

That being said, its not like they've forgotten about us. We've had direct access to the Producer and Marketing Director of the game...that's pretty sweet. When they want to know what info the fans want to see released, where can they look ? Here! When they were deciding if there would be a Collectors addition, where did they come for ideas ? Here!

Firaxis did an excellent job dealing with the fan sites for Civ3. I have not seen another game that had more developer feedback and support. I have the utmost confidence that they will reward the best Pirates fan site when the time comes. Cool
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamphyr ... Don't hear from you a lot but when you have somethig to say at least you have very valid points. The marketing Genius says to give information first to people or groups that will make bigger impact on your business. The marketing Genius also say that customer satisfaction will make them come back for more. So like Zamphyr said they won't forget about the fans. We just won't be first on everything Smile. But we will have all the first information as soon as other sites release it if they do get it before us. Cause I will reference it as soon as i see it. Always looking for the latest news on the release of the new Pirates!
Firaxis_Barry
Firaxian
Firaxian

347 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Zamphyr ... Don't hear from you a lot but when you have somethig to say at least you have very valid points. The marketing Genius says to give information first to people or groups that will make bigger impact on your business. The marketing Genius also say that customer satisfaction will make them come back for more. So like Zamphyr said they won't forget about the fans. We just won't be first on everything Smile. But we will have all the first information as soon as other sites release it if they do get it before us. Cause I will reference it as soon as i see it. Always looking for the latest news on the release of the new Pirates!

I think it should be noted that we did not make a press release at that time. Gamespot took some information they had cobbled together from some sources (of varying reliability) and made their own press release out of it. We try to make sure that press releases get out to all points as quickly as possible. We will have some exclusive deals for certain information as well I imagine, but I believe it will be fairly obvious when those things go live. The short answer is we try not to forget about anyone when doling out general information but there are instances when there may be a lag based on an exclusive deal with a major publication or website.

Barry
Firaxis Games
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from ya, Barry.
I was wondering if they didn't have you chained-up in some dungeon.
I suspected as much from the commentary-like wording they used. I also remember Sid making some remark about the RPG aspect being more focused in the new game as well. It's a shame that they had to do that. It makes it hard for you to judge when it is the right time to release more info, since you see all these little disturbances in the Force when GameSpot or whoever does something like that. Everyone jumps up and starts yelling about Pirates! 2, and then you're stuck wondering if you should wet their appetite this early. I don't envy having to make decisions like that. We've got a long time before the game comes out, and I'm just hunkering down till then.Smile
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of us are antsy on getting the info....and others like to make stuff up from the tidbits... I don't want to do that... I am just collecting all the data that I can on the game... (Even knowing there really isn't much out) I still look cause I know I could stumble on the information giving to the promised deals with major publications or websites. At least I can link it for our Faithful Pirates! Fans here. Doesn't mean we wouldn't want to be first. It also doesn't mean that I was suggesting you would forget us fans....and the hopefully to be more fans once the game comes out.

Sometimes bad at getting point across through forums... Everyone has a tendacy to read it in a different way just like I may be reading to much into your post Very Happy
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Sometimes bad at getting point across through forums... Everyone has a tendacy to read it in a different way just like I may be reading to much into your post Very Happy

Don't worry PF, we've all got copies of a PF->English translator book.Smile I sure didn't take your posts out of context. I think Barry was just clearing up all the confusion on this thread, which is greatly appreciated. Just shows us how much Firaxis is willing to do the right thing for it's fans.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... It is good to know that Barry and Jeff are still coming to visit us every now and again with some little tidbits of info.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: