Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Overthrowing governments
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your most common reason for changing the government in a city?
Location, location, location!
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
She's ripe for the picking lads.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
That dockmaster gave me a dirty look!! BURN IT DOWN!!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify)
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 27

Rhohann
Powder Monkey

398 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Overthrowing governments Reply with quote

I like to start in 1620 at adventurer level and try to balance the nations on the map. At the start, the Dutch only have their capital city Curaco and the out-of-the-way St. Martis. There is nothing south until you hit the English capital city of Barbados and the Brits only have 2 other weak and poor towns up north, Eluethera and the Grand Bahamas since Port Royal hasn't been founded yet. Sad The French have their cap-city Tortuga and the well placed Petti-Grove. (I love finding my wife here since it's near the center of the map.) And of course, the Spanish have many rich and bountiful targets, erm.. I mean cities to prey on.

So anyway, why do you overthrow governments? Do like to even out the playing field? Just hit the wealthy, less defended targets and put in a new town boss as a bonus? Or just be a blood-thirsty pirate and take anything you want, when you want? Arrrgh!!

My preference is to establish stratigically placed "new" governments (usually only one Spanish city to each nation) who can provide me with a safe port and profiatble markets while I plunder the lucrative Spanish shipping lines. Twisted Evil

Also, if you are like me, what cities to you like to replace the governor in?
xwred5
Powder Monkey

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took over the Mexican towns because I was sick of sailing up there for my evil Spanish quests.

I will also take over areas, for example, if I haven't spoke to the french in awhile and I know I am up for a promotion, I'll take out a city and make it french so I can save sailing time Razz

Oh yeah. and the gold is good too. Twisted Evil
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually only take a few cities that are ripe for the picking. I try to play fairly nice with the spanish, even though they are my number 1 target. If I get a bounty, I usually end up asking for amnesty, so that I can get to the towns when I am chasing the Baron, Marquis, or Colonel.

In my current game, I ended up with a bounty from Spain within the first 15 minutes of play. Then, even though I had done plenty of good things, they still wanted to charge me 1000 gold to forget my past and give me the letter of marquis, so I decided to wage war against them. I have already taken Campeche, Villa Hermosa, Vera Cruz, and Santa Catalina. I am just about to take out Porta Bello and Nombre De Dios and work my way east up the coast taking their cities. I plan to leave Maricaibo and Gibraltar, and take the rest. I am leaving them, so that there is still a flow of ships from North to South. Then I am going to take Havana and St Augs. This should keep the guys I have to chase down going north and south all the time between Maricabo/Gibraltar and Santiago/Santo Domingo.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not fancy to overthrow the enemy cities' governments. i just finished my game of this weekend. i started in 1660 and only attacked the spanish in the entire game. all of the three powers were at war with spain a few times during the game - enough to reach duke-level with all three powers. i plundered all spanish cities (some of them a few times) exept five or six and was asked a few times to change the government. but why should i do that? i rather let the cities stay spanish because that way i can plunder them over and over again in my career and that policy also keeps the seas full of galleons of all sort.

The Aberdonian
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly daughters.In that way there comes a new governour and daughter!!!!
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe sonic, gov's daughter never changes rating.
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this could be location, location, locatin, but I like to extend the places I can get free refits. It also seems to be fun to take over the world. Very Happy
captainkidd78
Seaman

559 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location. Also I seem to like the names of some places. Favorite city is Campeche - I do not know why.

I wish we could do our own pirate empire on the game, I usually capture the whole gulf (Villahermosa, Vera Cruz, and Campeche) to act like my own empire.
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, how about the option: because it's Spanish.
Rhohann
Powder Monkey

398 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, one thing I discovered last night was all my non-Spanish settlements that started near my recently modified cities have changed to Spanish settlements. Evil or Very Mad I have been planning to use them to supply the new governments with troops, immigrants, and govenor shipments. Many are stuck at a prosperous economy and shrinking troop garrisons.

Mad Mad Mad
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go right down the line, sacking each and every city as I capture ships.

Then I reconquer them for yet someone else.
limbaugh
Powder Monkey

136 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option: Because its there...
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Nothing personal, I'm just working for a nation you're at war with.
2. There's a sorry lack of decent ports flying the flag of my employer. Guess I'll have to make some.

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like Breathing Life into Old Threads - this one was sitting Dorment since Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:51 pm - so there might not be too many answers from the originals.

Well Done Allronix for zapping this thought to be dead Thread back to life.

I see that you are in Tech Support - are you one of my Staff ??

I do not seem to recall you - I am a Technical Support Help Desk Manager - so - I hope you are not posting on the job hehehe
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, not unless you're a T-Mobile supervisor! (Yes, I troubleshoot cell phones and wireless modems). Even then, I'll have you know I post on my breaks and when the queue is dead. Very Happy

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: