Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Interesting news on Pirates! and loading issues people have
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crabber338
Powder Monkey

1253 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Interesting news on Pirates! and loading issues people have Reply with quote

Well I'e been hearing about loading issues that people are having around these parts, and especially in the Atari Technial forums. I found that I too start experiecing these problem today, although I had no problems yesterday. Well I recalled that i set my Plextor DVD drive to 'silent mode' last night to watch a movie and I didn't change it back. Sure enough, when I changed it back to maximum, the game was able to load.

Now, it also has to be known that i am sure that most LE DVD owners are probably experiencing a somewhat 'long' loading time. It seems like the game is scanning the DVD over and over again. I believe that there are SERIOUS issues with the protection scheme that has been employed (sometimes it wouldn't even load, but it works fine after trying again). For contrast, I recently got a crack that disables DVD/CD authentication and the game loads instantly. I can only imagine that the pirated (no pun intended) versions of this game run just as flawlessly as it does now. Isn't that sad? My perfectly legit and registered version runs like crap, and a crack makes it run like it should? Anyway, if anyone is having problems they should make sure their drives haven't defaulted to 'slower' read speeds. If they continue having problems, perhaps Atari Techsupport can provide them with a convenient link to the crack Twisted Evil LOL
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD with build-in copy protection is always difficult to read by most cd-drives. This is usually occur in combo drives. Sometimes autorun takes forever to work. This happen to many other games as well.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueDEvil wrote:
CD with build-in copy protection is always difficult to read by most cd-drives. This is usually occur in combo drives. Sometimes autorun takes forever to work. This happen to many other games as well.

I wonder what they do exactly.

For a ton of reasons I have found it pays to get a decent cd/dvd player, though...if you dont nothing ever seems to work right.
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is true, I used to have an Artec CD-R/W and it never really worked right. My current one is a Samsung and it's a beauty, I think Plextor and newer Lite-Ons are pretty good too.

Pirates! uses SecuROM copy protection, just as NWN and I think most Atari games do. It presses a certain contour into the spiral track on a CD and makes the game impossible to perfectly copy because you can't replicate that contour. I'm no expert, but the files used to check to make sure you're not using a burned CD slow down your load times in many cases and cause problems for the people that have legitimate copies of the games. Crying or Very sad

The kicker to this is, of course, the fact that you can download no-CD cracks and greatly increase your load times.
pleary
Powder Monkey

83 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Mine won't even boot Reply with quote

The copy protection started telling me that I didn't have the original disc in the drive, which is dull

Help!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: