Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 898, 899, 900  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetp
Boatswain

36123 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:

Thanks for deleting all of that spam. I'm not sure he has been removed from the community yet or not since it still says [ The newest registered user is myy] which is the spammer.

I just hope he doesn't come back.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
I'm guessing. Was El Cid one of them?

El Cid was born 301 years after Charlemagne. Some of the French tales depict Charlemagne as an elderly man, but not quite that old!

And, while El Cid was also associated with Zaragoza, he was its defender, while Charlemagne was its would-be attacker.

Go ahead and consult the internet - it has been long enough.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68931 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
According to legend, Charlemagne had 12 paladins, or peers. The best known of these are Roland and his best friend Oliver. Roland's other close friend, Bishop Turpin, is also sometimes listed as a paladin, but not usually. The list of the remaining 9 or 10 paladins varies from one tale to another.

Name one of Charlemagne's other paladins. Wait 24 hours before searching the internet.

Hint: Poul Anderson (1961) and Andre Norton (1951) wrote fantasy novels about two of these obscure paladins, which some of you might have in your libraries.

Oglier the Dane came into the Song of Roland. Not sure if he was a Pally or not though.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Oglier the Dane came into the Song of Roland. Not sure if he was a Pally or not though.

Yes, Ogier the Dane is classified as one of the twelve paladins in some sources. Under the name Holger Danske, he was the central character in Poul Anderson's novel, Three Hears and Three Lions. That novel influenced D&D in many ways, and the whole paladin class seems to have been based on Holger Danske.

The paladin that Andre Norton wrote about was Huon of Bordeaux, in Huon of the Horn

The names of the twelve vary from one source to another, but they often include Rinaldo of Montauban, Duke Namo of Bavaria, King Salomon of Brittany, and Astalpho of England. And then there is Fierabras, the Moor who converts to Christianity and switches sides to fight for Charlemagne.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Cozumel today and will check out the town. Next, we will sail down the coast of the. Yucatán Pennisula all the way to Routan Honduras, which is an island off the coast north of Honduras. It I one of the islands that SMP likes to put Pirate Havens on. Never been here before. I will let you know what pirate landmarks and artifacts I find.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
We are in Cozumel today and will check out the town. Next, we will sail down the coast of the. Yucatán Pennisula all the way to Routan Honduras, which is an island off the coast north of Honduras. It I one of the islands that SMP likes to put Pirate Havens on. Never been here before. I will let you know what pirate landmarks and artifacts I find.

I was there once. The bartender asked me where's my parrot so pick up one before going into there.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68931 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real Charlemagne and his son Louis the Pious collected not just soldiers but also scholars, hence the "Carolingian Renaissance." Can you name one of the scholars?

Wait 24 hours before you use the internet, please.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einhard is the first one who comes to mind.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest registered user candywu is also a spammer. Send him to the bottom.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure enough! We are docking at the largest of the islands north of Honduras, where there is almost always a Pirate Haven. We sailed along the coast of Yucatán last night and missed seeing it. This looks like prime Pirate country to me!
fleetp
Boatswain

36123 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
The newest registered user candywu is also a spammer. Send him to the bottom.

I deleted that person's posts.
Very respectfully,
fleetp
fleetp
Boatswain

36123 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Sure enough! We are docking at the largest of the islands north of Honduras, where there is almost always a Pirate Haven. We sailed along the coast of Yucatán last night and missed seeing it. This looks like prime Pirate country to me!

Salty, is the cruise ship serving turkey on Thursday? Smile
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68931 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Einhard is the first one who comes to mind.

Yes.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male turkeys have a fleshy protuberance that hangs down from the forehead over the beak. What is this bit of anatomy called?

Wait 24 hours before searching the internet. But asking your relatives at Thanksgiving dinner is fair game (as long as they don't google it on their iphones).
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Salty, is the cruise ship serving turkey on Thursday? Smile

Yes they are tonight and I am lookin forward to it

Some more info on the island we stopped at- Henry Morgan operated out of here in 1665, when he seized 14 Spanish ships. One of his crewmen named John Coxen operated here after Morgan and today there is a town named after him called Coxen Hole.

Today we are in Santo Tomas de Castillo in Guatemala and it is near the river that leads to the big lake inland from the Bay of Honduras where we go so often in SMP. The country is just like in the game, lush vegetation and lots of small hills. Easy to get lost in. We are parked in an Industrial port with not much to see. I hope to go ashore and buy some of the local coffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 898, 899, 900  Next
Page 430 of 900

Jump to: